Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z170x Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified
Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to build a new hackintosh for a long time since my old macbook pro that I have been using is growing old... My primary build is not for gaming but for work. I do a lot of microsoft office work and I would like to have multiple monitors at 4k settings. Although I did go through tonymacx86's buyer's guide, there were some confusion as to whether the parts will be compatible and if so what case I can use... I would appreciate the help.

Parts:

Mobo: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: Cruicial Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (water) [If I don't plan to overclock, do I need it?]
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 DirectX
Power: Corsair CS 550 Watt OR Corsaid RM 650x Watt (?)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M

Wifi/Bluetooth: ?

I would really appreciate anyone's help. Let me know if this works! Also, if you see a better combination, please tell me!

Best,

EDIT:

FINAL BUILD!!!!

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 [$150]
Ram: G.skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 16GB (2 x 8GB) [$80]
CPU: Intel core i7-6700K [$300]
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (Water) [$60]
SSD: Crucial MX300 750gb SSD [$100]
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified [$320]
Power: Seasonic SSR-650RM 650W [$65]
Case: Corsair 400C [$70]
Bluetooth Adapter: [$5]

Total = $1150

This has been a long journey just to find a good price for each specific parts!!!! Thanks for all your support!! I hope my project turns our well. Will be putting together a build in about two weeks. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to build a new hackintosh for a long time since my old macbook pro that I have been using is growing old... My primary build is not for gaming but for work. I do a lot of microsoft office work and I would like to have multiple monitors at 4k settings. Although I did go through tonymacx86's buyer's guide, there were some confusion as to whether the parts will be compatible and if so what case I can use... I would appreciate the help.

Parts:

Ram: Cruicial Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (water) [If I don't plan to overclock, do I need it?]
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB
Case: BitFenix Phenom M

Wifi/Bluetooth: ?

I would really appreciate anyone's help. Let me know if this works! Also, if you see a better combination, please tell me!

Best,

Hello, your internal parts seem to be ok. The case is something else. From what I'm reading the case is for MicroATX boards, your getting a full ATX board. If you don't plan to overclock then the Corsair H60 is not needed. You would still need a CPU cooler since the "K" models do not come with a cooler. You could try a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler. You should be fine with a 550 Watt PSU. If you want WiFi/ BT then you should get something like this:
802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10+ PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity

You can use any case that can contain your parts. Best to consider cooling and air flow and not just cram as much as you can in the smallest case you can find - so use a bit of common sense when deciding on a case.

How many monitors at 4k? The card you list will give you one. What you need is something like the GTX980 with 3xDP, 1xHDMI and 1xDVI port. I have one and can tell you that it will support 2 4k and a 2560x1600 on the DP ports with a 1920x1080 on the DVI or on the HDMI (it might run a 3rd 4k on the 3rd DP port but I do not have one to verify it). Connect 5 displays and they will cycle between the output ports and flicker constantly.

The one I am using is the EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0, model 04G-P4-2983-KR.

Hello, your internal parts seem to be ok. The case is something else. From what I'm reading the case is for MicroATX boards, your getting a full ATX board. If you don't plan to overclock then the Corsair H60 is not needed. You would still need a CPU cooler since the "K" models do not come with a cooler. You could try a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler. You should be fine with a 550 Watt PSU. If you want WiFi/ BT then you should get something like this:
802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10+ PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity

Hi, aztian78. Thanks for your feedback.

Since "K" CPUs do not come with coolers, and I don't plan to overclock, it only makes sense for me to get a non "K" CPU. Since the purpose of my hackintosh is for office work with multiple monitors, I do not see the need to get an i7-6700. I think I will probably resort with i5-6500. What do you think? In this case, I would not need to get a separate cooler.

In addition, for the wifi/bluetooth, if I just plan to hook up an ethernet cable to my hackintosh, I would not need a wifi component. However, I do want a bluetooth system built in. Can I just resort to one of bluetooth USBS like this? (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFX0PY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20)

As far as the case go, I am having a hard time which case would fit my parts..How do I figure out what case to get based on my parts? Sorry for the amateur question... I would like to get a better looking case if possible other than the ones listed under the buyer's guide..

So, here is my updated list of parts...

Ram: Cruicial Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb (possible upgrade to 32gb)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB (I see that a lot of people are getting separate HDD for storage. If I do not plan to store a lot of docs, I do not need a separate one correct? I plan to use this SSD for booting up the system.)
Case: (Still needs to be decided)
Wifi/Bluetooth: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFX0PY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

You can use any case that can contain your parts. Best to consider cooling and air flow and not just cram as much as you can in the smallest case you can find - so use a bit of common sense when deciding on a case.

How many monitors at 4k? The card you list will give you one. What you need is something like the GTX980 with 3xDP, 1xHDMI and 1xDVI port. I have one and can tell you that it will support 2 4k and a 2560x1600 on the DP ports with a 1920x1080 on the DVI or on the HDMI (it might run a 3rd 4k on the 3rd DP port but I do not have one to verify it). Connect 5 displays and they will cycle between the output ports and flicker constantly.

The one I am using is the EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0, model 04G-P4-2983-KR.

Thanks for your input, Going Bald!
Here is a more specific setup I am anticipating. Currently, I have one 29 inch ultrawide LG (2560 x 1080p) and one 21 inch dell monitor (1920 x 1080p). After building my hackintosh, I would like to get a 34 inch Ultrawide that has max resolution of (3440 x 1440p).

So technically, one 4k monitor with two monitors above. If not, just one 4k monitor with one 29 ultrawide LG (2560 x 1080p).

GTX 980 seems to be too steep for me. I would like to stay with 950 if possible. Would my setup work with this graphics card?

Thanks!

Well, its hard to give recommendations. The case is a universal part. It should be chosen based on what the user likes. Now I can offer other suggestions. If aesthetics is not a concern maybe perhaps you can choose another case to save money. Going Bald stated that you would need a GTX 980 to run the 4k monitors. If working on Microsoft Office is all your doing and not putting your machine thru stress or need something high powered you can always modify your list to save and maybe get the GTX 980. Newegg has this one for $299:
Refurbished: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 DirectX 12 GV-N980WF3-4GD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
It is Refurbished but it is cheap in price and a warranty is available.

You went from an i5-6600k to i5-6500, you saved between $25-$40. Since you don't need the water cooler you saved about $60. The NZXT Phantom is $127. Its a nice case but then Newegg has this for $28:
DIYPC Solo-T1-R Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with 2 x Red Fans (1 x 120mm LED fan x front, 1x120mm fan x rear) Pre-installed
Newegg has other around this similar price.
You save anywhere between $60 to $100 from the other cases you chose. Now if you do something like this you cut anywhere between $145 to $200. According to Newegg, the GTX 950 you want is priced at $145. Now add the savings and your close to that GTX 980 :headbang:. Other things to consider, do you need 16GB of memory RAM or can you manage with 8GB? The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB is a great SSD, but other SSDs can be used as well. Good luck.:thumbup:

Well, its hard to give recommendations. The case is a universal part. It should be chosen based on what the user likes. Now I can offer other suggestions. If aesthetics is not a concern maybe perhaps you can choose another case to save money. Going Bald stated that you would need a GTX 980 to run the 4k monitors. If working on Microsoft Office is all your doing and not putting your machine thru stress or need something high powered you can always modify your list to save and maybe get the GTX 980. Newegg has this one for $299:
Refurbished: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 DirectX 12 GV-N980WF3-4GD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
It is Refurbished but it is cheap in price and a warranty is available.

You went from an i5-6600k to i5-6500, you saved between $25-$40. Since you don't need the water cooler you saved about $60. The NZXT Phantom is $127. Its a nice case but then Newegg has this for $28:
DIYPC Solo-T1-R Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with 2 x Red Fans (1 x 120mm LED fan x front, 1x120mm fan x rear) Pre-installed
Newegg has other around this similar price.
You save anywhere between $60 to $100 from the other cases you chose. Now if you do something like this you cut anywhere between $145 to $200. According to Newegg, the GTX 950 you want is priced at $145. Now add the savings and your close to that GTX 980 :headbang:. Other things to consider, do you need 16GB of memory RAM or can you manage with 8GB? The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB is a great SSD, but other SSDs can be used as well. Good luck.:thumbup:

Hey Aztian89,

I really appreciate you searching parts for me. You and Going Bald enlightened me to look into another graphics card. Possible GTX 970. If not GTX 980 as the one you pointed out.

This is again very amateur question, but do I have to buy anything else other than the ones listed in the buyer's guide? like bolts, cable connectors and etc.?

I will keep updating on what I think will be a good built. I hope you find time to chime in again! Thanks guys.

Thanks for the suggestion. Based on your feedback, I did more research and found some good prices online.

I am thinking about using Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 as my motherboard. And EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 for the graphics card. What do you think? A decent future proof hackintosh perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back