Motherboard
Aorus z370 Gaming 5
CPU
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Suddenly, without an update for years, Gigabyte STRONGLY recommends a bios update? Seems important but I don't want to screw things up. Anyone tried it? (Or a similar Bios version on an other board with the same description?)

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 23.50.25.png

Suddenly, without an update for years, Gigabyte STRONGLY recommends a bios update? Seems important but I don't want to screw things up. Anyone tried it? (Or a similar Bios version on an other board with the same description?)

View attachment 537308
Don't fix something that is not broken

View attachment 537308
Apparently new BIOSes are also released for Z390 / Z490 motherboards as well, like my Z390 Designare (F9) and the Z490 Vision D (F21). Even AMD motherboards from Gigabyte receive such a BIOS like the X570S Aero G (F3d).

I wonder what these vulnerabilities are so that it affects so many Gigabyte motherboards including Intel / AMD.

I went and checked for my board and this part is interesting...

1. Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
    Customers will NOT be able to reverse to the previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.
So there is something going on, but I'm not willing to risk not being able to boot macOS anymore...

So there is something going on, but I'm not willing to risk not being able to boot macOS anymore...
Definitely a possible / probable risk. I will not update to them any time soon especially since we won't be able to go back once updated.

Do not upgrade bios to version F21!!!!
It broken my build with Gigabyte z490 aorus pro ax.
And yes, downgrade is not possible confirmed by Gigabyte.
:banghead:
Unfortunately, I read this too late and upgraded to F21. :(
Let me know if you find a work around please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back