Contribute
Register

new attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
macromaster said:
I see. Maybe should i reformat my data HDD to FAT32 as you do.

what are the advantages and inconveniants of NTFS and FAT32?
You only need a small partition - say 1.5 - 2 times the largest file you can imagine transferring between OS's formatted FAT32 (I use a 50Gb swap file partition). Otherwise you want to use HFS+ or NTFS.
For a comparison of formats, google FAT32 vs NTFS and choose your opinion.
basically NTFS is less prone to errors, can be compressed, supports encryption, you can password directories, folders, individual files if you want to. You can also screw up big time if you forget passwords!

Pretty good news, thanks to this:

Snow Leopard has the ability to mount NTFS volumes as read/write, but it's not enabled by default -- just read only is supported, as in 10.5. Here's how to get full read/write support for NTFS drives in Snow Leopard. First, uninstall NTFS-3G or Paragon if you're using either one.

Here's how to get read/write support for NTFS drives in Snow Leopard:

1. In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.
2. Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.
3. Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.
4. In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.
5. Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.
6. Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

After rebooting, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works with both 32- and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, and it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files. My thanks go to Chrysaor, a MacRumors user who brought this to our attention.

[robg adds: I haven't tested this one, as I don't have any NTFS drives on my Snow Leopard machines. There may be good reasons why Apple left support disabled, so use at your own risk. Mac OS X Hints reader Jakimowicz submitted a similar hint which pointed out the free NTSF Mounter utility, which lets you enable read/write on NTFS volumes via a simple GUI.]

i've been able to write on my ntfs data drive. The bad news is: when you delete something, the whole drive crashes and Finder won't display anything anymore. But thank god, i've got the proof that nothing's erased (i was installing a dmg that was on that drive and he finished installing very normally). Let's reboot once, just to make sure

EDIT: I was scared to death, i really thought i had lost everything! since i rebooted, OSX won't even read my NTFS drive! don't try it!

EDIT: OSX can read again the NTFS drive if Windows checks it before. (startup checking, you may know this kind of thing),

Hi again
This is me reopening again this topic for my new attempt.
I say new attempt because i gave up since the release of 10.6.8 update, when i did it i used to stuck on apple logo for ever.
So i freshly reinstalled Win7 x64 and everything was fine until i decided i'd use xCode to develop iPhone apps. Since i don't own an Apple computer and since it's way too expansive for me, i wanted an hackintosh again.
I installed SL and of course i failed during the update to 10.6.8
i get kernel panic in normal mode and i sometimes manage to get to the lock screen in safe mode but my mouse and my keyboard wouldn't work. So i reboot and no way to get to any screen before a kernel panic.

Anyway i wish that could be the only problem. I can't boot anymore normally on Windows, that's where i really wish you could help me. I get "missing bootMGR", that's partly i guess because the OS is on a RevoDrive SSD (a PCI-E SSD). The only way to boot is to launch super grub disk and hit "!WIN!"
That's a handle i'd like to avoid, because it's not comfortable at all even though my Windows works perfectly after that.
How to restore Windows so it can boot like a charm and forget once for all OSX?

Hi, reopening the topic 'cause i got new troubles.

I traded my 480GTX against a bright new 570GTX by Evga.

Since then i haven't tried my Lion partition with.

I figured out i couldnt boot anymore so i changed my bios settings to what exactly there was on the tutorial.

The only way i can boot again is to load rBoot cd and run it on safe mode.

How can i make it so it boots without CD and without safe mode?
How can i make my video card running? Last time i downloaded nvidia drivers for my GTX480 but i don't understand how this works now since there's no driver explicitly available...

I'm on Lion .1 and i boot with sound and network working but no high resolution available.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back