Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon Pro Desktop GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any yes, my R9 280 is the latest AMD GPU which doesn't suffer from this issue.

Flo, as always your clarity very much appreciated.

I think, an, edge case use for the (low profile) wx4100 could be in Ivy/Haswell sff pre builds, like Dell Optiplex 9020 - i7 4770/4790 -etc. (Or HP equivalent?).

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/core-i7-3770-dell-optiplex-7010-8gb-1tb-350-at-newegg.211267/

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94408

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1066840/Dell-Optiplex-9020.html?page=2#manual

Lot of hoops to jump through, but if you're using FCP, and you already have an Optiplex, might be worth it?

macOS doesn't "switch" anything, it'll always enable video output on all GPUs which have a display connected to them.

Any yes, my R9 280 is the latest AMD GPU which doesn't suffer from this issue.

Any update on the Radeon Pros now we have RadeonDeinit?

Starting with the Version 10.13.4 I got the Radeon Pro WX 4100 fully recognized and working with only RadeonDeinit.

Excellent can you choose different scaled resolutions in display prefs? And does dual monitors work? Cheers

Yes I can. Currently I'm running two 4K Monitors at HiDPI 2560*1440p. Sleep/Wake also works so far without any problem. However I've tested this card only during the last 2 days.

That's excellent info thanks. What is the noise level from the card like when running the 2 4k monitors at HiDPI 1440p? The reason I ask is my R9 280X sounds like an airplane with its dual fans when simply scrolling a web page in safari and a single 4k monitor at HiDPI 1440p (the GPU goes above 60C which doesn't tend to happen at HiDPI 1080p).

The noise level is the only minor problem for me so far. The card does not sound at all like an airplane even at this resolution but it makes a high pitch noise that I personally find kind of annoying. But the fan itself does not spin up while browsing and remains at idle. I think because of the fan's small size the high frequency noise is produced. I therefore plan to change the cooler to an aftermarket option. But other than that I'm really pleased with the card's performance.

Last edited:
First hello, stumbled through this thread whilst researching GPUs for my Mac Pro 5,1 signed up to ask a question or two related to the wx cards.

I've read that the wx 4100 has and is working on 5,1 mac's but cant find anything to say that the wx 3100 and preferably (for me) the wx 2100 will work? I know you guys deal with Hackintoshes, but really hope that the cross over gives me the answer I'm looking for

Last edited:
First hello, stumbled through this thread whilst researching GPUs for my Mac Pro 5,1 signed up to ask a question or two related to the wx cards.

I've read that the wx 4100 has and is working on 5,1 mac's bit bit cant find anything to say that the wx 3100 and preferably (for me) the wx 2100 will work? I know you guys deal with hackintoshes, but really hope that the cross over gives me the answer I'm looking for
Try macvidcards.com

Thanks, I did message him through the website and Twitter, didn't really give me an answer that I wanted (as in didn't answer my question directly). I don't want a fire-breathing power hog, I'm really interested in trimming down the power usage of my Mac and being an illustrator don't need huge GPU power. I'm just shopping around so I can keep my mac going when Apple cut off my GPU due to no Metal support.

The trouble is people are quite quick to post and write about the latest and greatest online but nothing on low power/low-cost solutions. I'll keep my account here alive as I've ended up here a lot in the past through many searches and depending on the future of the Apple line up I will be looking seriously at a build of my own in the next year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back