Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I'm looking to build a new Hack... I'm starting to settle on a parts list and figured I'd ask for opinions.

I'm not quite at 'cost is no object' but I'm wanting to go for a fairly high-performance system.

Here's what I've got so far:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I've still got to find a case. Looking to go for quiet over showy on that front. Also trying to decide whether to keep an Optical drive in there.

I'm also going to look for a new 4K monitor.

I think my main questions are whether this is the best RAM to go with. I've not bought RAM in a while and there seems to be a lot to learn there.

I had kinda settled on the RX580 for video and figured going with the same vendor as the mobo would probably be a good idea.

Any opinions? What would you change?

If you can afford it I would get a NVME PCI M2 drive nested of the SSD. The difference in speed is massive. I have a Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 and I'm very happy, 1700+ MB/sec

If you can afford it I would get a NVME PCI M2 drive nested of the SSD.

Oh, that's a good suggestion. I'm not sure why but I'd somehow gotten to thinking the difference was not that great and I like the idea of having a small-ish boot drive so that I can easily back it up and swap it for another when doing a big upgrade. A difference that big is enough to make me want to check it out. Thanks!

Almost the same build I put together with a few minor differences ...

Samsung NMVe drive (no issues), NVIDIA card (it's using web drivers but functioning well post install), and I used a Seasonic 850 modular power supply, and I did the Broadcom/Adapter for my handoff, iMessages, etc.

Ultimately, I enabled the Killer port on the Gaming 7.

Ultimately, I enabled the Killer port on the Gaming 7.

Thanks... is the Killer significantly different?

Also, which of the M2 ports are we using for the NMVe drives? The documentation on these is a little bit confusing to me.

It took me a couple of days of going down review rabbit holes, but I finally picked and got everything ordered and if Amazon behaves it'll all be here tomorrow. I'll post more once I get it going.

I have the same build as well. WillPC, Can you please share which broadcom adapter and card you used and where to get it? What is a killer port and what is the advantage of enabling it? How does one enables it?

Killer is the 2nd ethernet port. That much I know... I don't know if/how it is better than the other Intel port.

I just booted this baby up for the first time, just enough to see that I have to update BIOS to get current. But, duty calls, so probably tomorrow for the rest.

I have the same build as well. WillPC, Can you please share which broadcom adapter and card you used and where to get it? What is a killer port and what is the advantage of enabling it? How does one enables it?

I honestly cannot tell a difference with xfinity internet. But be aware, I bought the Gaming 7 for it's VRM solution, not for the Killer hub. The Bluetooth card for me, was more for iMessage as I have the whole home cabled for wired connections.

The card I ended up using was the one linked below. After reading a lot of mixed results with other card/adapters here, this seemed like the lesser of the headaches. Install was a breeze.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012LOT512/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Also, which of the M2 ports are we using for the NMVe drives? The documentation on these is a little bit confusing to me.

It was/is confusing for me as well. Hell, I think everyone is just about as confused as the next person. Ultimately what I did (after finding this diagram) was to put mine underneath the GPU. I have had zero heating issues, and it's working fine there.

Attachments

• lanediagram.png
    lanediagram.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 92
I've only just gotten the thing to boot up, but I went with the middle M2 port and used the heatsink that was originally installed in the top slot.

So far I've only just gotten OSX installed, I have to figure out MultiBeast and Clover tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back