Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big advantage to the thermal pads mod is that it prevents throttling when the SoC is doing heavy workloads over a long period of time.

Short/quick benchmarks won't reflect the benefits.

Yes, I just want to point out that the chap did mention that, over prolonged use it's definitely worth it, just don't burn your plums!.

sysorchestra (dot) com — Reduce thermal throttling on your Apple M1 MBA to increase persistent load performance.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the next Apple Silicon CPU/GPU before I buy too.
Same here, though I'm playing with the idea of buying a refurbed M1 Mac mini to replace my current hackintosh until they announce M2/M1X, at which point I either get that or invest in a "Hackintosh-Pro"

The M1 mini beats out my current build in single core and multi core.... BUT I do have 64GB ram in this build that comes in handy (though something happened to my system recently that doesn't allow me to run XMP anymore and my ram is only 2133 instead of 3000)..... Im so ready for a new system!!!

I'm playing with the idea of buying a refurbed M1 Mac mini to replace my current hackintosh until they announce M2/M1X, at which point I either get that or invest in a "Hackintosh-Pro"
My thinking too- pulled the trigger on a refurb 16GB RAM M1 Mini that is coming Monday. Planning to sell my RX 580 to cover good portion of that cost.

My thinking too- pulled the trigger on a refurb 16GB RAM M1 Mini that is coming Monday. Planning to sell my RX 580 to cover good portion of that cost.
Yeah I need to do that (sell my RX580). I also have a gtx 1060 6gb I could sell prob make a dent in the new purchase.

The M1 is Apple's first SoC and will be their lowest end SoC
This is the most common mistake. It is not first Apple SoC ! ARM SoC has been present for a long time in different version in ...iPhone . Apple decide simply transfer technology from smartfon to desktop computer. Nothing new like RapsberryPi or Odroid , but more powerfull of course.
And important - M1 chip is now High End Apple SoC. Maybe fastest SoC ever. OK.
Now what is the "road map " for M1 ? Many apple fans think that "M2" chip double the performance next 'M3" triple performance etc . This is another big mistake.
Processor performance increases relatively slow. For example Intel CPU double performance within four or five years. We can expect the same with the M1 new generations chip.
Will pass eigth maybe ten years when M1 will be so fast as top Intel/AMD CPUs.
One condition - Intel/AMD do absolutly nothing for those ten years )

Apple knows this well but marketing does its job. Apple fans say " Intel/AMD is dead" and
"Apple has best chip in the world" . So far so good.
Special hardware only for MAC . Yes good idea but .....twenty years ago not now ) I remember "Amiga" computers and motorola/powerpc Apple computers. Where they are now ?
Sorry Apple computers survived thanks to...Intel Technology )

Forget the apple mouse, keyboard and give me more ram and storage. Otherwise looks good.

Give me more saffron!.

Here's how the front could have looked with a small white Apple logo. Why was this dropped ? Too distracting ? Did they include a small sticker in the box you have to apply later on ? A cost saving measure ?

I know, Steve said "don't stand around asking each other, what would Steve do." That being said, Steve would want the Apple logo where it's always been. It looks unfinished without it. All the PC box makers will copy this look eventually and then those will look like this new iMac.
Screen Shot 10.jpg

This is the most common mistake. It is not first Apple SoC ! ARM SoC has been present for a long time in different version in ...iPhone . Apple decide simply transfer technology from smartfon to desktop computer. Nothing new like RapsberryPi or Odroid , but more powerfull of course.
And important - M1 chip is now High End Apple SoC. Maybe fastest SoC ever. OK.
Now what is the "road map " for M1 ? Many apple fans think that "M2" chip double the performance next 'M3" triple performance etc . This is another big mistake.
Processor performance increases relatively slow. For example Intel CPU double performance within four or five years. We can expect the same with the M1 new generations chip.
Will pass eigth maybe ten years when M1 will be so fast as top Intel/AMD CPUs.
One condition - Intel/AMD do absolutly nothing for those ten years )

Apple knows this well but marketing does its job. Apple fans say " Intel/AMD is dead" and
"Apple has best chip in the world" . So far so good.
Special hardware only for MAC . Yes good idea but .....twenty years ago not now ) I remember "Amiga" computers and motorola/powerpc Apple computers. Where they are now ?
Sorry Apple computers survived thanks to...Intel Technology )

My mistake. I should have said the M1 is the first Apple Silicon SoC used in a Mac and will be the lowest end one used in a Mac.

Do you really believe they will keep the M1 as their highest end CPU and go lower end from here?

It's much easier for them to scale up the M1 by tacking on more cores and raising TDP limits when not limited by size and cooling restraints like those of phones and tablets. I don't see why they can't quadruple performance by simply tacking on 4x the number of cores. When they go to 3nm, they can tack on even more. There are already 64 core Arm CPUs out there. There's no reason why Apple can't do the same.

Intel CPU performance increases very slowly mostly because the sat on their laurels. AMD has done a much better job. Apple has been increasing performance of their A-series chips at a much faster pace.

You are wrong. The M1 already outperforms Intel junk. Even in a decade, Intel may not catch up.

I've already posted videos that prove they outperform their Intel counterparts but you ignore the evidence and continue to believe the Intel marketing.

Giants can fall. Yes. Amiga died. PowerPC died. There was also a time when Nokia was king of the hill, then Blackberries and Apple killed them.

Actually it's not just hardware, it's the whole package and the Apple ecosystem is unique in its interaction capabilities. I totally agree with pastrychef, they have a tiger in their tank and they will release it bit by bit and hammer Intel in the years to come.

The keynote was quite a slap in Intel's face and to me in AMD's as well. Apple needs technology to make cool products in their own universe. AMD has the problem fighting at Intel's / PC rules, there is nothing fancy or cool about them except the number of the cores still consuming kWatts of energy in order to deliver.

As much as I like AMD, an iMac that thin delivering that computational power would have not worked with AMD neither. Alone the motherboard is condensed to a fraction of what it used to be leaving space for the speacers, mics, camera - all of that now being cooled by two tiny fans. Give me a break!

And where I really take my hat off to Apple is the environmental efforts and the respective message to their (young) customers _and_ competitors: people, this is how it is done and we can do even more! Watch us!

Yes, some components are expensive, there is a noticeable margin but they need it first to keep the our nature clean, recycle stuff and pay they their workers properly and second to develop more cool products and make my life easier and more fun.

Apple, I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back