HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll keep a tab here with any issues people are having with networking upon updating to 10.6.8. Seems Macs are having some of the same issues as I've seen reported.

Troubleshooting:

1. Delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot
2. Run the Mac OS X Combo Update again and reboot
3. Navigate to System Preferences/Network and remove your interface. Reboot- then re-add it.

Airport seems to be having issues for me. I'm getting beachballing on the menuextras and Network preferences. Bootup is also slower than usual.

It works fine when booted from iBoot. Also, when I unplug the PCI adapter for the airport card, everything works fast and normally with no beachballing.

Edit:

Ok for the app store sign in issues the fix is to go to,
System preferences/Network
You'll want to highlight each one and remove it.

Then go to,
Library/Preferences/System Configuration
and delete or place on desktop the NetworkInterfaces.plist

Then go to Extra folder and check your com.apple.Boot.plist to make sure that this string is in it,

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Then restart system.

After you restart you will want to go back to System Preferences/Network and
add all the things you removed starting with ethernet.

What I had noticed is that the ethernet was labeled en0 and Airport card was en1 and after update the numbers got switched. It was only switched in the NetworkInterfaces.plist but stayed the same in every other settings so it was give conflicting things while trying to log into the app store.

Burninator said:
Airport seems to be having issues for me. I'm getting beachballing on the menuextras and Network preferences. Bootup is also slower than usual.

It works fine when booted from iBoot. Also, when I unplug the PCI adapter for the airport card, everything works fast and normally with no beachballing.

The solution to this problem for me was to update from the old version of Chameleon I was using to the latest Chimera from MultiBeast. Airport is working great now, no more beachballs.

For my Asus WL-138G v2 PCI WLan I used this solution:

I used an old smbios.plist and added

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>

Mac-F42C88C8 is the model number of MacPro 3,1, which I use.

This also made my system wake from sleep properly again, which was also broke by 10.6.8 update.

So 10.6.8 broke my airport. I had a wifi card with the atheros chipset and a device ID of 168c. Ran fine with 10.6.7 and some modifications to insert the device Id into the IO80211Family kext. Unfortunately with 10.6.8 it stopped working. I probably should have tried to change the new kept but instead I tried rolling back to the 10.6.7 kext. That was a disaster, as with it installed the airport is somewhat recognized but cannot connect to anything, I get lots of beach balls and pauses, and even the second internal hard disk is not recognized.

Cant say anything for sure about my installation (including update) method, type or approach formal name)), cause i'm extremely newbie in macos (only two days). Nevertheless current installation was made using some prepared DVD (with chameleon rc5) and then simply updated to 10.6.8 through software update. As a result, after some tryings, i've already configured video, sound and ethernet. The only thing i cant get working properly is my atheros wifi card. I have very same symptoms as u mentioned above when i am trying to turnon ("pci168c, 1014") my card inside plist of diff IO80211Family kexts.
Code:
$ uname -a
Darwin Peters-MacBook-Pro.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Mon Jun 27 20:06:12 EDT 2011; legacy kernel v8 :xnu-1504.15.3/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I had the same problem with slow booting of Mac OS X caused by Atheros wifi card. System was booting a lot slower with pci card plugged in and all of the network preferences were also opening really slow, not mentioning the fact that it didn't find any wifi networks.

The fix was very simple. All I had to do was to replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle located in "System/Library/SystemConfiguration" with it's 10.6.7 version. You can download it here:
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWJQ1E1Y

I replaced it, rebooted and everything works perfect. System boots very fast, no slowdowns, no lagging.

Credit goes to: EqualsN.

tonymacx86 said:
I'll keep a tab here with any issues people are having with networking upon updating to 10.6.8. Seems Macs are having some of the same issues as I've seen reported.

Troubleshooting:

1. Delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot

Hi I have the issue of no network since 10.6.8 upgrade. I followed step one but now my machine keeps kernal panic everytime I try to boot into SL.

This is the message I get, can someone please help?

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 516
kazuyuki said:
I replaced it, rebooted and everything works perfect. System boots very fast, no slowdowns, no lagging.
Seems like its quite more complicated, cause i just drop system replacing that bundle((.
Luckily my friend suggested me install one more reserve system from the same source, so now its quite easy to chroot and restore everything after crashes...
But, anyhow, thanks for quick response and advice) Any more ideas?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back