Contribute
Register

Network Connection would collapse, then crash the system; on 10.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo! I've been dealing with this issue for like 6 months now.. It's basically a headless server that I use to download TV shows, put into Plex, and stream to my Apple TV. Its working great, but the network would die about every other day.

My solution before today was that I had my computer restart automatically every day at 4 AM... But now I don't have to do that anymore! I'm so happy :)

Top says:

Networks: packets: 28437408/43G in, 119544170/57G out.

Still no crash! Much happy! Thanks!!

Hi

I'm having the same network problem with Z87X-UD5H!

But is this a maverick only problem? And how do you know if a PCIe cart is natively compatible?

Please, could someone tell me if you had the same network issue with mountain lion?

Please, could someone tell me if you had the same network issue with mountain lion?

Yes all of my issues are with mountain lion. It seems to happen when I try to read/write multiple files over the network. Caused a hard-lock on my Ubuntu server today.

For information, I have a GA-Z87MX with an Intel GbE and with driver 3.0.4 I experienced the issue every time I was trying a network Time Machine backup.
Driver version 2.5.4d fixed the issue.

Edit:
no, it just took longer.

I'm happy I found this thread. I had problems with my Z77X UP5 TH ethernet and freezing OS X for a while. Always after doing a Time Capsule backup. A nightmare.

I tried Multibeast 5.4.3 - it didn't solve that. Still network collapses.

Multibeast 5.0.2 seams to be the solution! Did a 200GB backup & forcing full download/upload for a while. Everything works for now! Fingers crossed.

I had this issue with OS X 10.10 Yosemite and this also solved my Problem.

Ping Latency is also back to normal (sub 1 ms) from 100s of ms on local network.

Thanks!!!

Yep, I think I have a solution.

I) Uninstall all ethernet kexts
I used "sudo rm -rf /System/kextpath" to delete them.
Look for the correct path of your ethernet kexts in the "About this mac"->"More Information"->"system report"->"ethernet cards" (I translated this from german, hope I got it right)

Then use Kext Utility to repair the permissions.
Reboot.

II)
Get MultiBeast 5.0.2 and install the network kexts as if you would do for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDsFLs-hvfI 0:50

then use Kext Utility to repair the permissions.
Reboot.

It works until now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I think I have a solution.

I) Uninstall all ethernet kexts
I used "sudo rm -rf /System/kextpath" to delete them.
Look for the correct path of your ethernet kexts in the "About this mac"->"More Information"->"system report"->"ethernet cards" (I translated this from german, hope I got it right)

Then use Kext Utility to repair the permissions.
Reboot.

II)
Get MultiBeast 5.0.2 and install the network kexts as if you would do for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDsFLs-hvfI 0:50

then use Kext Utility to repair the permissions.
Reboot.

It works until now.

I followed the instructions but I just got a kernel panic on boot. I managed to boot with -x flag and System Report tells me that I don't appear to have any ethernet devices installed. To restore to my previous setup I did the following:

1) Boot with -x flag. (Safe mode)
2) Remove the kext.
Code:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext
3) Repair permissions with Kext Utility.
4) Open the Multibeast you used to install your original ethernet kext.
5) Repair permissions with Kext Utility.
6) Reboot.

This fixed the kernel panics for me but I still have the issue I came here to fix.

My specifications:

MB: GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: GTX 660
RAM: 1866Mhz 16GB DDR3

I am running Yosemite 10.10.

Any news on how to fix this properly?

[Edit]

I should add that I did not install the Atheros thing like in the video and that I don't have a wireless card in this particular machine.

Just want to confirm: I had a hung ethernet interface after transferring many GB of data to a Synology NAS. I was using AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.41a. After reading this forum, I reverted back to 2.4.14 and no more hangs!

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, Mavericks 10.9.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back