Contribute
Register

neilhart's Mac Pro hack Ivy Bridge Refresh - Canceled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
May 25, 2012 Edit - Note on project cancellation.

I fired up the Mac Pro hack as it has been sitting for some time and I just can not bring myself to tear it down and proceed with the refresh. I really need to find someone that will use it as is. Sorry to lead you all on.

However, I have a complete non-op G5 Power Mac that I purchased recently just waiting for an overhaul. I will open another thread for that build.

neil 5/25/12

Ivy Bridge Refresh

1-Mac-Pro-Hack-in-use.jpg

My intention at this point is to update my Mac Pro hack to Ivy Bridge. My Mac Pro project is document here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/28892-neilharts-mac-pro-hack.html

The is the current starting point:

1-rear-small.jpg

1-front-small.jpg

This hack has been setting off to the side for months as I use the i7-2600k Power Mac hack for my main machine this last year.

I started by ordering a an i7 3770K from Amazon. I was frustrated when I found that it would not even POST in the Zotac H67-ITX-C-E system.

I determined that I wanted a Z77 Micro-ATX motherboard and conducted a quick survey of available boards and choose the MSI Z77MA-G45. Now that I have the MB, the only thing that I find as an oversight on my part is it only has 6 SATA ports and Mac Pro hack uses 7 ports.

2-buy-items.jpg

and the bring up and bench testing starts:
3a-bench.jpg

3b-bench.jpg

I am having problems creating an Ivy Bridge Unibeast USB (that will boot) so I devised the following alternative path for making a Ivy Bridge boot drive. In between, I loaded up Ubuntu 12.04 to confrim that the components were mostly working and my problems were OS X related and not the new hardware.

My temp process to create a Lion 10.7.3 boot partition:

Step 1 - Clone a 60GB partition from the Zotac H67-ITX-C-E i7-2600K 10.7.3 recovery partition via a USB connection.

Step 2 - Go into the Clone and delete IntelCPUMonitor.kext, NullCPUpowerMan. and FakeSMC.kext (FakeSMC maybe the only one that needs to be refreshed from MB 4.4.0).

Step 3 - Using Multibeast 4.4.0 select Clone:
System Utilities
FakeSMC pluging (Mb)
FakeSMC
NullPowerCPUManagement
BootLoader - Chimera 1.9.2

Step 4 - Run Bridgebuilder, select Clone as the target

Step 5 - Run Multibeast again, select System Utilites

Step 6 - boot this drive on the originating host.

Step 7 - move clone to first drive on the Z77 board and boot it with no command line arguments.

NOTE I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PROCESS AND WILL NOT SUPPORT IT (it is just an expedient way to confirm that the MB will run Lion with Ivy Bridge).

At this point on the bench, sleep and wake from sleep are non-op. However everything else is working (without a DSDT.aml):

Working:
DVI from a 9600GT card to 1920 x 1200 with full acceleration and selectable resolutions.
Sound to rear green port (have not tested other sound outputs),
GB Ethernet
USB2 (have not attempted loading kext for USB3 yet)
Memory (I had this laying around) 8GB DDR3 at 1033MHz
Shutdown
Restart
iTunes
VLC
and all of the normal apps that I usually run.

Benchmark data to come later.

iStat Pro has the CPU idle at 30 C in a 73 F room. And I could not find any really hot spots on the MB using my KINTREX IR Thernometer.

Using a Zotac GF 9600GT because it does not need external power (as my bench PSU is a small 200W one with out cables for GPU cards).

In my mind the first milestone has been reached (the new parts will run Lion) and now I can proceed with less worry.

More in a few days as I climb the Ivy Bridge learning curve. For instance, in the UEFI BIOS you have to enable "PCIe Gen3" option to get the GPU card active.

I welcome comments and questions.

And thank you Tony and the team for the great tools.

Have fun
neil

Re: neilhart's Mac Pro hack Ivy Bridge Refresh

More - Builds within Builds.

As the Ivy Bridge learning may take some time and full OS X support is an unknown, I have decided to install the MSI Z77MA-GA45 mother board into a temporary home for the time being. Also this will free up my work table.

I just happen to have an ANTEC case from a prior hack project. This chassis has a PSU and two 3.5 mobile hard drive carriers already install plus an OD.

With this PSU, I will be able to load up the system and run my Sapphire Radeon HD6870 GPU card (has previously driven 3 displays concurrently in 10.7.3).

1-Antec-Left-side.jpg

1-Antec-Right-side.jpg

And here is the motherboard with the 16GB of the PATRIOT DDR3 1866Mhz (PC3-1500) memory loaded, Sapphire GPU, and Dynatron K987 CPU cooler ( an easy install, good for system bring-up and evaluation )

2-MSI-MB-HD6870.jpg

2-MSI-MB-Memory.jpg

2-MSI-MB-Rear-IO.jpg

More later,
neil

Good luck! :clap:

More stuff:

TempHome.jpg

This is a picture of the temp home for the Ivy Bridge i7 3770 and MSI Z77MA-GA45 motherboard as I plan the refresh into the Mac Pro hack. I am going to use this as an opportunity to redo the back panel. I am planning to look at 1" standoffs for this MB to ease the cramped cable routing space under the MB.

At first blush, I think that the i7-3770K runs cooler then my i7-2600Ks; which it should as Intel specs it at 77 Watts compared to 95W on the i7-2600K and 130W on the i7-950.

OS X section (Lion 10.7.3 on IB) --

I still have not unlocked the secret of making a bootable Ivy Bridge Lion USB installer. The USB key with the patched kernel boots okay on an H67 Sandy Bridge but loops at after Chimera boot screen on the IB machine.

As I have noted, this is only an inconvenience at the moment as I have manually made up a Lion 10.7.3 boot drive from a clone of the Zotac H67ITX-C-E machine. This drive is stable and I have made clones onto a scratch drive for kext refinement (and recovery).

Of interest the FakeSMC.kext, ver 3.10 that I have run up to this time and the IntelCPUMonitor plugin does not play well with IB CPU. Using the FakeSMC.kext from MB 4.4.0 resolves this issue and restores the function of iStat Pro widget.

Note I have the HD6870 installed and running a patched ATI600Controller.kext driver with Duckweed buffer for three display output (DVI, HDMI and DP to active adapter to DVI).

VMware Fusion running a WinXP virtual machine is currently a problem where the Ethernet connection does not connect correctly. The VM does not see the local sub-net and the does not see the DHCP server, so no IP address. This problem maybe related to the kext for Ethernet that is running in OS X.

Other:

MSI Z77MA-GA45 is short on ports that I would like to have. Namely it is short one SATA port for my Mac Pro hack. Also it does not have FireWire. Both of these short comings can be resolved with PCIe adapter cards.

The FireWire PCIe adapter I already own and is currently in the Mac Pro hack (this should be a non problem, but needs to be validated).

The selection of a SATA PCIe card needs to be made first upon OS X OOB compatibility, along with an eSata port and an internal SATA port. The will support the 6 internal SSD/HDAs and the Optical Drive.

More to follow

neil

Edit - 05/15/12 I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=59380&p=377955#p377955 and worked through to where I now have an Lion 10.7.3 Unibeast USB installer stick that will install directly on this IB system. When things jell, I will document the steps.

neil

my notes -

How to load Lion 10.7.3 to MSI Z77MA-GA45 with i7 3770K no OC:

1. Build an 8GB USB installer using Unibeast 1.1
2. Use Bridgehelper 3.0 to install the patched mach_kernel to the USB installer.
3. Use ShowAllFiles.app to show the hidden files on the USB installer.
4. Open the /Extra/Extensions folder and delete the FakeSMC.kext v3.10 found there.
5. Copy the FakeSMC.kext v 4.20 found on Multibeast 4.4.1 to the /Extra/Extensions folder.
6. Using TextEditor open the /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist and change the GraphicsEnabler string to "No".
7. Run the Chimera 1.9.2 standalone installer with the USB installer as the target.
8 . Boot the USB installer (using -v) in the target MSI Z77MA GA45 system and run the installer (install to a partition named "Lion").
9. Re-Boot to the USB installer (using -v) and use Terminal as follows:
enter "rm /Volumes/Lion/mach_kernel" press Enter
enter "cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/Lion/
10. Re-Boot to Lion (first boot to the new partition) using the USB installer, select Lion at the menu, (use -v GraphicsEnabler=No).
11. Go through the account set up.
12. At the desktop, run MilitBeast 4.4.1 and install Easybeast.
13. repeat step 6.
14. Shutdown and remove the USB installer.
15. Reboot to Lion.
16. Clone you installation to another partition or drive.

Radeon HD6870 setup see: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52684

exerpt from /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I intend to add screen shots of MB selections.

neil

Good job so far Neil. I was looking at the MSI board as well as a possible board for a next build using an Ivy Bridge chipset. I used an MSI board with my "Sawtooth" build. What sold me the most was the MilSpec rating and the all solid capacitors. I'm sure once you get the kinks out of this build there will be more success to come. :)

roto31 said:
What sold me the most was the MilSpec rating

Marketing bollocks, nothing more.

All-solid caps can be found on many boards from all manufacturers.

Great work Neil !!

Your PSU is on bottom, great.
Glad to see some case manufacturers stuck PSU in bottom.
There is alway wasted space in most cases at bottom.
Having PSU at top is stupid.
It sucks in hot air and steals air from mb.
In bottom you can add sound deadener and you can't on top mount.

Next case I will look for something like you have.

potemkin said:
Great work Neil !!

Your PSU is on bottom, great.
Glad to see some case manufacturers stuck PSU in bottom.
There is alway wasted space in most cases at bottom.
Having PSU at top is stupid.
It sucks in hot air and steals air from mb.
In bottom you can add sound deadener and you can't on top mount.

Next case I will look for something like you have.

No in my 2008 Mac Pro hack the ATX PSU is located in the upper rear just as the Apple original was. You must be confusing the G5 Power Mac chassis with the Mac Pro chassis as they have different construction in the lower and upper areas.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back