Contribute
Register

neilhart's G5 Short Stack - PowerMac G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is seriously one of the best mods I've ever seen. I love it when people fabricate their own creations in a style that Apple has done or "would do." A "Short Stack" could have been a viable product for them between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro. Anyways, great, flawless work. I look forward to see what you do next!

georgeous build..this is what the Prodigy should look like ..;)

I actually liked this former down left side logo positioning even more, something like ´PowerStack V2´, maybe with a yellowish/silver color..nice ;)

cheers
Andy

Attachments

• lf2.jpg
    lf2.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 892
unbilievable, who is for going neilhart to cuppertino to work with apple designer Ive? This is what apple need, creative people such as neilhart is.

Neil,
do you think you'd have room to fit a SilverStone SST-FP58B slot load bay were you have your ssd's ?
Looks like it would fit , would allow for 4 x 2.5 drives and a slot load optical drive ?
I bought one recently intended for an upcoming mod using a prodigy and matx vertically but might
try and pick up another g5 case instead since this turned out so good.

Also did you need to key the anodised shell before priming with the paint you used or can it be applied directly?

Neil,
do you think you'd have room to fit a SilverStone SST-FP58B slot load bay were you have your ssd's ?
Looks like it would fit , would allow for 4 x 2.5 drives and a slot load optical drive ?
I bought one recently intended for an upcoming mod using a prodigy and matx vertically but might
try and pick up another g5 case instead since this turned out so good.

Also did you need to key the anodised shell before priming with the paint you used or can it be applied directly?

Yes a FP58 could be worked into this type of modded chassis (I used one in my "The White One", see post # 20 at: http://www.tonymacx86.com/retail-cases/63866-neilharts-prodigy-white-one-matx-itx-case-2.html ). The FP58 requires about 7" front to back and you would want to use SATA cables with right angle connectors. And it would also depend on the size of PSU used and where you located it.

Here I used a single mounting plate with dual 120GB SanDisk Extremes in a RAID 0 and a single 1TB 2.5" HDD mounted on the other side of the mounting plate (not seen clearly in the photos). And i do have a external USB2.0 DVD drive that I can used if needed.

And as it turns out, I did used a belt sander and removed much of the anodize from the outer shell outer surfaces before finishing. I primed and sanded and used an auto body filler and sanded. I do think that if you clean the anodize surface removing all of the oil that you can prime and paint without removing the anodize. Over time we will see if this is true as much of the case was not sanded before it was painted.

And one caution. The outer shell, being a wrap around part, has to be spread or opened to get the inner core into place. The smaller the outer shell becomes it takes more force to open it enough to accept the inner core. I made up some lever jack sticks to help in this operation and assembled the inner core to the outer shell before shooting the final paint.

Sanding and more sanding:
sand1.jpg

The red spots are the filler material in an attempt to bring up the low spots.
sand2.jpg

Good hacking,
neil

What year is your Vette?

You caught me. That "was" my 2000 red roadster with 126,000+ miles. I sold it lately and now I am the proud owner of a new red 427 collectors edition corvette convertible. Wow it is nice!
red.jpg

Good hacking,
neil

Nice, try not to lose your license too fast.

WOW!, I can't even look at my G5 case anymore :(

Good Work Dude!

amir-clapping-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back