Contribute
Register

[Needs help] rebranding BRCM94352Z to out-of-box models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte BNi7HG4-950
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I am trying to rebrand my BRCM94352Z (as the "initially" below) for the sake that macOS could natively support it.

Name Vendor Device SubVen SubDev Name
Initially 14E4 43B1 17AA 0623 BCM4352(Rev.03)
New-01 14E4 43A3 106B 0159 BCM4350 (the one used on MacBook Pro late-2016)
New-02 14E4 43A0 106B 0159 BCM4360

However, I have found that "find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom" returns nothing under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS USB Live mode.
This made me unable to rebrand BRCM94352Z under Ubuntu 16.04.
Note that my computer is a Skylake BRIX and couldn't be booted by Ubuntu 12.

Any good ideas?

Hi, I am trying to rebrand my BRCM94352Z (as the "initially" below) for the sake that macOS could natively support it.

Name Vendor Device SubVen SubDev Name
Initially 14E4 43B1 17AA 0623 BCM4352(Rev.03)
New-01 14E4 43A3 106B 0159 BCM4350 (the one used on MacBook Pro late-2016)
New-02 14E4 43A0 106B 0159 BCM4360

However, I have found that "find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom" returns nothing under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS USB Live mode.
This made me unable to rebrand BRCM94352Z under Ubuntu 16.04.
Note that my computer is a Skylake BRIX and couldn't be booted by Ubuntu 12.

Any good ideas?

No native support for BCM4352 in macOS/OS X.
You can get it to work with FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext + 'fcvo' patch by the-darkvoid (10.12.x).
FakePCIID will rebrand it and enable the IOKit personality to load the kext (it uses subven/subdevice: 106b:0134).

No native support for BCM4352 in macOS/OS X.
You can get it to work with FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext + 'fcvo' patch by the-darkvoid (10.12.x).
FakePCIID will rebrand it and enable the IOKit personality to load the kext (it uses subven/subdevice: 106b:0134).
The soft-rebrand method you suggested is what I am using at this moment (Bluetooth not work. Probably sth wrong with what I did).

So, "only hard-rebrand the BCM4352 to BCM4350 or BCM4360 without any non-apple kexts" won't work, right?

Update: I confirmed that the following kexts have been installed on my BRIX:
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
FakePCIID.kext

The soft-rebrand method you suggested is what I am using at this moment (Bluetooth not work. Probably sth wrong with what I did).

PCIe WiFi branding has nothing to do with bluetooth. Bluetooth is on USB.

So, "only hard-rebrand the BCM4352 to BCM4350 or BCM4360 without any non-apple kexts" won't work, right?

It is not a branding issue.

Update: I confirmed that the following kexts have been installed on my BRIX:
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext
FakePCIID.kext

Strange/nonsense you would have BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and not BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext does nothing without BrcmPatchRAM.kext (<=10.10.x) or BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (>=10.11.x)

Strange/nonsense you would have BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and not BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext does nothing without BrcmPatchRAM.kext (<=10.10.x) or BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (>=10.11.x)

Thanks. I suddenly realized that I messed the filename up. I should install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext in lieu of BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext.

Update: Now my BT is fully-functional.

Last edited:
I have one more question: Since I prefer to install kexts into Clover, is it okay to only install the following kexts to Clover (and leave the S/L/E intact)?:

BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
FakePCIID.kext

I have one more question: Since I prefer to install kexts into Clover, is it okay to only install the following kexts to Clover (and leave the S/L/E intact)?:

BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
FakePCIID.kext

It is not recommended.
All kexts you need should be installed to the system volume (I prefer /Library/Extensions).

It is just odd superstition that people have regarding installing to the system volume.
Somehow people believe that injecting everything from Clover is somehow cleaner and more native, when exactly the opposite is true.

It is not recommended.
All kexts you need should be installed to the system volume (I prefer /Library/Extensions).
So, is it fine for me to move all 4 kexts I consulted at this moment to /Library/Extensions?
(I just worry that some kexts may have to put into SLE.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back