Contribute
Register

Need to update my ROCK-SOLID M.L. Hackintosh to a newer OSX - ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
PC: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79
CPU
i7 3820
Graphics
GTX680 SuperClocked 2048MB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
4 years ago I jumped in with both feet to successfully build a Hackintosh from scratch with the prescribed components from this website. It runs on Mountain Lion and has been absolutely rock-solid. Never a glitch. I edit high-speed video on PP and After Effects, etc. I could not have asked for more!

I am at a point where I have to get into a newer OS because some of my software wants 10.9+ and I am afraid to attempt to update my present system for fear of destroying a good thing. I am running
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 E-ATX Motherboard and an NVIDIA GeForce 680 2048 MB Graphics card. Is there a way (hopefully a simple way) to upgrade to one of the newer (or preferably the NEWEST) OSX from Apple?

Here is how it looks at this time...

Screenshot 2016-05-26 13.11.28.png

Clone your current installation to a new hard drive and then you can practice until you get your upgrade right.
If things don't work out you still have your original to fall back to.

Clone your current installation to a new hard drive and then you can practice until you get your upgrade right.
If things don't work out you still have your original to fall back to.

Wow, that was fast. Many thanks. Is there a chance that I could upgrade through the Apple App Store, or are you just suggesting to use caution with a backup and proceed in a different way? I am not sure where to start with this and if it is even possible with my present setup. Thanks for your help.

Is there a chance that I could upgrade through the Apple App Store
No
or are you just suggesting to use caution with a backup and proceed in a different way?
Yes

The first thing that you should do is switch to the Clover boot loader, you will need it to run El Capitan so you may as well do it sooner rather than later. It makes future upgrades much easier.

See this guide : http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

There are numerous other guides to help you upgrade, use the forum Search tool.

Thank, P1ILGRAM. I will dig into it.

I am trying to get my ML Hackintosh updated to Mavericks. As I am pulling my files together I am looking for the DSDT for my Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 Motherboard but cannot locate it on the Tonymac site. I am certain that I found it a couple of years back when I first built this machine. Any idea where I can find it?

I am trying to get my ML Hackintosh updated to Mavericks. As I am pulling my files together I am looking for the DSDT for my Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 Motherboard but cannot locate it on the Tonymac site. I am certain that I found it a couple of years back when I first built this machine. Any idea where I can find it?
You should still have it in your current ML install: It's in the Extras folder.

Thanks. I will look for it. I guess I assumed that something might have been changed since then and that I was starting over. Good advice!

Excuse me, "Extra" folder
Once you create the new install USB disk using Unibeast, you can manually copy this small file onto that disk, for use during your post-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back