CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I got my Coffee Lake build up and running and stable thanks to the ****** Vanilla guide. But I have some follow on questions to finish this build and despite mega-googling, I just haven't found the clean answers. FYI: My build is a Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 5 with Vega 56 & GC-TItan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card.

1. I can't get the TB3 card to be recognized in 10.14.1 Mojave for use with a TB3 storage array (OWC). Card is recognized in BIOS, Windows 10 sees the card and the Gigabyte drivers are installed and working (OWC Thunderbay 4 shows up). However, booting into MacOS results in...NOTHING. Display port pass through works via the TB3 cable to my LG display. Just that neither MacOS nor SoftRAID can see the OWC drives. I suspect from my googling that I need to create a specific DSDT to get the TB3 card configured properly. IOReg shows an TB3 entry but I'm really out of my element to get this working. So looking for a link to a clear guide on setting this up or some input here.

2. Related to #1, do I need to spend some time creating DSDT & SSDT entries for this build. The Vanilla Guide really didn't cover this, but it seems that to resolve a bunch of specific issues like USB port mapping and TB3 specifically, I need to put some time in here. Guidance on this?
Took the Hackintosh plunge based on all the posts here and the VG. Just want to finish this off successfully. Thanks!

Did you ever resolve this issue? Looking at getting Titan Ridge + the Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 5

Yes I did. And it works perfectly. My issue was related to a simple BIOS option that I wasn’t using since it was obscure and was never referenced in any of the threads I found. I’m away from my computer but the options as something like “TB Boot”, which I took to mean I would only enable it if I planned to boot from my TB3 array. Since that wasn’t something I needed, I just left it disabled. Once I switched it to ENABLE, on the theory that this forced the BIOS to ‘wake’ the TB3 card and force the PCIe bus to see the card, leading Mojave then to also ‘see’ the card. This theory turned out to be correct for my MB and Titan Ridge combo. Once I made this change the card was found during the BIOS boot sequence and it came right up in MacOS allowing me to format the array. It’s been working great ever since with no issues.

I read quite often now about how TB3 just doesn’t work on a Hackintosh. That is clearly not correct. You just have to pick your system components correctly. I chose the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 and the GB Titan Ridge TB3 card specifically because I needed TB3 to work reliably and now it does. Hope that helps.

One more thing. If you want to use the Titan Ridge card, which I recommend over Alpine Ridge, then you need to make sure you update the BIOS for this MB to version 11 or later as this added compatibility with Titan Ridge.

Question, why do you recommend the Titan Ridge over the Alpine? I'm trying to decide between the two specifically for use with the LG ultrafine 5k monitor and from what I've read it seems like the Alpine is easiest route to get everything working.

I had no issue using Titan Ridge once I got the BIOS settings correct. MacOS has support for it and it is a newer TB3 chipset so I expect longer term support moving forward. That said, there may not be any difference for you when it comes to the LG monitor. But TR future proofs things a bit more due to it having DP 1.4. See here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12228/intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3

You will need to make sure your card, whichever one you choose, has the correct number of DP inputs as you will have to run two DP connections from your GPU. Not all the Alpine cards have this I found.

Question, why do you recommend the Titan Ridge over the Alpine? I'm trying to decide between the two specifically for use with the LG ultrafine 5k monitor and from what I've read it seems like the Alpine is easiest route to get everything working.

Well, I made the dumb mistake of buying a Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 which is only compatible with series 800 CPUs.
So I either have to buy a z100 series board + Alpine Ridge, or buy a 8700k which is silly given I have a 6700 working just fine.

Or.... just abandon thunderbolt and the Ultrafine 5K altogether and go back to using my perfectly sufficient LG 4K monitor. It’s been a lot of hassle for just an extra 1k in pixels.

Thanks for a great info...I've been waiting to see the titan ridge working. Now, I can buy one...thanks! Would you please tell me when you install this titan ridge, did you install Windows 10 to activate the card on you MB first like what other people said. Or just pluged onto your MB with just Mac OS X? I don't want to install windows on my system...I'm just lazy...

Well, I made the dumb mistake of buying a Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 which is only compatible with series 800 CPUs.
So I either have to buy a z100 series board + Alpine Ridge, or buy a 8700k which is silly given I have a 6700 working just fine.

Or.... just abandon thunderbolt and the Ultrafine 5K altogether and go back to using my perfectly sufficient LG 4K monitor. It’s been a lot of hassle for just an extra 1k in pixels.

I only got the 5k because I found a great deal on it, otherwise I would have been perfectly happy with a 4k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back