Contribute
Register

Need some advice for my first hackintosh (photo/video editing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

(My first post disappeared after editing, next this is the next try...)

I'm considering building a hackintosh, mainly because I don't really want to wait for updated iMacs with newer hardware :)
The main usage apart from internet etc. would be photo/video editing (Lightroom/PS with 30MP+ pictures, Premiere). I'm currently using an early 2008 13" Macbook with an external display, so I guess pretty much any configuration would be a big upgrade for me, but it would be nice to be able to use LR without lags when editing photos (a friend of mine still has some lags in LR with a 27" 2011 iMac, even after the images are loaded...).

I do have some experience with building a computer, but that was almost 10 years ago (and I didn't have OSX installed), so some help with choosing the right components would be great! This is what I came up with after reading the CustoMac 2012 guide and doing some reading this forum. Since I don't have any experience with hackintoshing, I want to use components with maximum compatibility in this build.

Motherboard: I was thinking about the GA-Z77X-UDH5 or the GA-Z77-DS3H. I read about some problems with graphics cards in the DS3H, but I think it should be ok with a GTX 6xx card in ML? Are there even cheaper options than the DS3H with maximum compatibility? USB3, sleep and ethernet should work on either of these boards? Is it possible to use all of the 5.1 audio ports on the UDH5 with OSX?

CPU: I don't want to overclock the CPU, so I was thinking of buying a i7-3770 or i5-3750… But I'm not sure if the i7 is worth an extra 80 € when using the computer for photo/video editing?

Graphics card: Since I don't have any previous experience with video editing, a bit of advice would be helpful. I'm planning on buying a 27" display, and maybe a second display (24 or 27") later… Since the GTX 6xx series cards are supported in ML, maybe a GTX 660 Ti (or something cheaper)? Any advice for a relatively quiet model?

HDD: I want to run both OSX and Win7. I'll probably use a 256 GB SSD (e.g. Samsung 830) for the OS and programs, and a larger SATA HDD for everything else (+ multiple external drives with USB2/3 for backups etc). A quick search in this forum told me that the onboard RAID controllers are not working with OSX? It would be nice to be able to run a RAID1 mode for the large internal HDDs, but I guess I have to skip that...

PSU: 530 W should be ok for this build?

Rest:
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 RAM
TP-Link TL-WDN4800
Corsair Carbide 300R

Martin

I've got the UD5H and my USB 3.0 is not working as USB 3.0...actually it sort of freezes up if I plug in a USB 3.0 device. I'll probably roll it back to 2.0 sometime soon. Firewire and eSATA aren't working either. If I knew that, I probably would have gone with one of the Thunderbolt boards.

I've got a 570 GPU on it and that works great. I mainly use for photo and video editing.

I've got the UD5H and my USB 3.0 is not working as USB 3.0...actually it sort of freezes up if I plug in a USB 3.0 device. I'll probably roll it back to 2.0 sometime soon. Firewire and eSATA aren't working either. If I knew that, I probably would have gone with one of the Thunderbolt boards.

Did you try the solution in this post? It seems to work for that build (except for reconnect issues after sleep)...

Good luck! :)

Is there anyone with some more advice? Is hyperthreading in the i7-3770 a big advantage for video editing, or are the cheaper models (i5-3750, ...) almost the same? Same question for the GTX-660Ti: I'm not a gamer, would a GT 640 or GTX 650 be sufficient for video editing?
Some help with choosing a MB would be great too! :)

Martin

Good luck! :)

Is there anyone with some more advice? Is hyperthreading in the i7-3770 a big advantage for video editing, or are the cheaper models (i5-3750, ...) almost the same? Same question for the GTX-660Ti: I'm not a gamer, would a GT 640 or GTX 650 be sufficient for video editing?
Some help with choosing a MB would be great too! :)

Martin

For video editing go with a 5xx card - the 6xx are crippled in 3d and scientific calcs.

For video editing go with a 5xx card - the 6xx are crippled in 3d and scientific calcs.

Do the 5xx cards have the same level of compatibility as the 6xx cards?

Do the 5xx cards have the same level of compatibility as the 6xx cards?

In just about any video/photo editing app a GTX 580 will beat any 6xx card hands down - take a look at any of the video editing rigs in the user builds and any of the reviews.

The Adobe suite and Aperture depend heavily on the GPU, but IIRC Photoshop couldn't care less as long as you have plenty of ram. Not sure about Lightroom as I've never used it.

In just about any video/photo editing app a GTX 580 will beat any 6xx card hands down - take a look at any of the video editing rigs in the user builds and any of the reviews.

The Adobe suite and Aperture depend heavily on the GPU, but IIRC Photoshop couldn't care less as long as you have plenty of ram. Not sure about Lightroom as I've never used it.

+1
Also gtx 570 cards are marked way down right now, i'd buy that one. I saw a bench mark that the 570 actually preforms the best in AE 3d ray trace (over the 580 even). It's also natively supported in AE which isn't that big of a deal, just makes it easier.

Sounds good. Is the installation/configuration the same as for the 6xx cards (no kexts required, natively supported in ML / NVIDIA drivers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back