radeon 5770 vapor-x
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
HEya!

For another build im planning i need 3 native pci-slots to get avid cards running.

Z77 doesnt support pci anymore so what boards are my alternatives??

thanks!

only b75 and q77 support (legacy) pci natively.
all other 1155 chipsets do not. any boards that have pci slots on them are using a pci to pcie bridge.

so im not exactly sure what youre asking.
are you looking for a board with native pci slots (b75 and q77), or are you looking for any board, including z77, which has pci slots on it?
there are quite a few z77 boards with pci slots. they are using a pci-pcie bridge

As samisnake says: the Z77 boards have PCI via PCIe->PCI bridge (why did you ask for "native"?). But in any case the most PCI slots I've noticed on any Z77 boards is 2.

You need to go to the manufacturers' websites and do a survey of all the models they have. You may find something, such as the Gigabyte GA-P75-D3P. I'm not aware of anyone who's done a build with it, although I think at least one person has used the GA-P75-D3 (no P). Both of these boards have four PCI slots (directly driven by the B75 chipset) and from the look of the specs I would expect their Ethernet, HD4000 video, USB2, USB3, and SATA ports to be supported. Actually, I'm not sure what the difference between the boards is supposed to be.

There was a reported issue with the audio driver (back in November) on one board, but it's unclear whether that was user/software error which shouldn't happen again.

Check through all the Gigabyte boards, and while you're at it check the Asus, Zotac, MSI, etc boards as well.

Well, we are trying to upgrade our studio rig from a powerpc to an intel based mac and we need to run protools on it.

our protools cards are pci so it does need native pci support.

(Ive read that the pci -> pci-e bridge doesnt work)

thanks for the input so far!!

Presumably you've price replacing the PCI cards with PCIe versions?
Sometimes it really is time to move on...

yeah, replacing the cards would cost us about 5-6k and eventually upgrading to protools 10 another grand :| thats just not an option

edit: especially with apple slowly screwing up their pro computers and avid not moving on with 64bit stuff etc

Presumably you've price replacing the PCI cards with PCIe versions?
Sometimes it really is time to move on...

PMFJI 2 months later, but the Avid trade-in program was a complete rip-off. $1500 per card to convert from PCI to PCIe, with virtually identical DSP power. The situation is a lot different now, with Pro Tools HDX, but if you have a so-called "legacy" PCI system, $2k will get you a smokin' CustoMac running latest Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and Pro Tools HD 10.3.3. You can run all your TDM sessions as is.

The Gigabyte GA-P75-D3P you mentioned looks like an awesome board. Native PCI support, mSATA for system SSD, 4 adjacent PCI slots. The PCI slots HAVE to be adjacent; there is a jumper that connects each board to the next, and its very short.

My rig is based on a very old but reliable GA-H55-USB3, which if you can find one, will get the job done. But very much yesterday's technology. For a modern system, I'd try that GA-P75-D3P. monoslut, you gotta comb through the tonymacx86 threads and you will find tons of folks running HD3 CustoMacs. Very stable after initial setup. Good luck with your rig, and let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back