EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

After searching and reading and trying to sort this problem out myself I'm finally writing a post for some help. I don't expect to be spoon fed - just a little guidance.. because I'm lost, about to give up. I built a customac from the guide a year and a half ago. Had it professionally assembled, followed the setup guides and installation guides... no problem. Only problem that continues to haunt me though. Random freezing. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, what program I'm using, during sleep, even on shut down once. Random freezing. I've followed the bios optimization guide, that seemed to help a bit. Otherwise don't know where to go.

Here's my setup and Multi-Beast settings

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 4770K
Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ32GX3M4X 1600C10 32G DDR3-1600 Quad Channel memory kit
SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX760 Graphics Card
StarTech 1394 PCI Express Firewire Card
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI Express WiFi

DSDT free
ALC898 audio
Fake SMC Plugins, Fake SMC HW Monitor App
Apple Intel E 1000 v3.1.0
Chimera v4.0.1

I've tried to keep the drivers to a minimum. Anyone else with similar setup with help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
lilstuey

Random freezes are often hardware related. It is not clear if this is a new problem or one you have had forever.
The most common suspects are the power supply, the HD/SSD, heat and RAM.
There are software tests for the drives (presuming they have SMART) and RAM.
In windows, I have not had the need to look for them in OS X, there are several programs that will report internal temperatures.
If you do not have the capacity to test the power supply, or have an alternate to swap in you may want to get that checked.
If your machine has behaved this way since day one that still does not exclude a hardware problem.
You may also want to check the UEFI settings and make sure there is no overclocking if you did not assemble the system.

Thanks for the reply bmoag

I think I might have it sorted. I did check my memory with memtest. Everything appears fine there. What has made the difference I think is using chameloen wizard and changing my SMBios using a premade profile from mac pro 3.1 to iMac 14.2. Unfortunately, either I didn't realize the importance or it isn't stressed enough that choosing the correct SMBios profile for your hardware setup makes a huge difference in stability. My build would startup fine without issues using the recommended System Definition profile that multibeast picks in the DSDT-free option, but was not a stable option (not even close to my hardware setup - wrong socket, processor, memory, video card).

To anyone else with freezing issues and a similar build I recommend using the customized default bios settings (I spent hours reading and adjusting parameters in my bios with clock speeds, memory voltages etc. ... waste of time). Remove CUDA drivers (if using nvidia video card). Use chameleon wizard and make sure your System Definition is correct for the hardware you have (pick the premade SMBios profile closest to your setup - you may not get it exact).

Close to a week now without a hang up, compared to almost daily resets... much happier considering I was ready to turn this into a windows only machine.

Thank you guys it will surely help me !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back