Radon RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been putting up with High Sierra for 2 years while waiting for Nvidia/Apple to get their collective butts together and come out with Nivida Web Drivers. Well, I don't care whose fault it is, I'm done with it. I purchased a Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC card. I read that it works with Catalina and that there is one post on the home page right now that says they had success updating directly from High Sierra to Catalina with this card installed. Well, I upgraded, and I believe it actually installed without my intervention because the screen went black for about 30 minutes, and when it came back up, Clover didn't show the installer anymore.

So, I've been trying to boot into Catalina, and all I get is the Apple screen with the progress bar, goes about 80% across, the screen goes black and I get the system beep like I'm ready to login as before, except, that's all I get. I get a black screen. Before I updated, I updated Clover to the latest, and installed the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen from the Clover kext installer.

So I've been scratching my head for the past 4 hours, and can't get anywhere. All I had been hearing is that AMD works out of the box, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What's my next step?

I'm in the middle of creating a UniBeast disc to use a rescue disk, to see if I can at least get a command prompt to move around the OS via CLI. Was I supposed to do something else before upgrading?

Edit: Confirmed that it did get upgraded to Catalina. I stuck my GTX 1070 back in, and it booted right up, albeit the performance sucks.

Last edited:
Okay, I have no idea what I did. I had been trying to add "agpmod=pikera" to the boot args through clover for a while, and it never worked. After about the 10th time playing around with the boot arguments, it worked for no reason.

So I'm up. Some of the older walk throughs talk about frame rate. Do I still need to do that with this? How do I know?

Okay, I have no idea what I did. I had been trying to add "agpmod=pikera" to the boot args through clover for a while, and it never worked. After about the 10th time playing around with the boot arguments, it worked for no reason.

So I'm up. Some of the older walk throughs talk about frame rate. Do I still need to do that with this? How do I know?

Check about this Mac and then select System Report/Graphics Displays. It should look somewhat like this with metal supported.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.43.47 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back