RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am trying to do my first open core install on my kaby lake hackintosh and having a problem. The install goes fine until it gets to the place where it starts to load disk utility for the formating and then it just stops. Its like there is something wrong with the Install macOS Catalina file. I have done a lot of reading and seaching and have tried many things, but have not found the solution. Can someone please help me

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 56
The first issue you need to resolve is the location of some kexts, which are related to the WiFi/BT card you are using.

You have the kexts in the OC folder, when they should be within the /OC/Kexts folder, with the other kexts. See the two screenshots for a view of what I mean.

Screenshot 2022-04-24 at 23.12.44.png Four kexts in /OC folder.

Screenshot 2022-04-24 at 23.13.00.png Four kexts added to the /OC/Kexts folder, as should always be the case

ACPI folder.
You don't need the SSDT-AWAC.aml table when installing macOS on a Kaby Lake system. It should be used with a Coffee or Comet Lake system, so you don't need it.

IF your system requires any SSDT's, you should create a custom them using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script as part of the post-installation process.

Drivers folder.
If you plan to use the OC GUI in place of the Picker List you need to add OpenCanopy.efi to the /OC/Drivers folder.

Kexts.
Having moved the four erroneously placed kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder I now have noticed you have a pair of kexts that should not be used together.

When running macOS Catalina or newer you should not be using BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. This kext is meant for use when running Mojave or older versions of macOS.

When running Catalina you need to use the BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, for a Broadcom Bluetooth module.

Resources folder.
This is empty, so you can only use the OC Picker List when booting your system. This is not an issue but it isn't the best use of OpenCore.

Tools folder.
This folder is also empty. Usually 3 x Tools are retained in this folder, as they can be helpful when booting the system. The three Tools are

I have attached a revised EFI folder for you to try when installing Catalina. It uses the same OC 0.7.7 version as your previous EFI but with a few changes to match the OC guide a bit more closely for your Kaby Lake system.

See how this works and post a screen image if it kernel panics.

Attachments

• EFI-v1.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
The first issue you need to resolve is the location of some kexts, which are related to the WiFi/BT card you are using.

You have the kexts in the OC folder, when they should be within the /OC/Kexts folder, with the other kexts. See the two screenshots for a view of what I mean.

View attachment 546581 Four kexts in /OC folder.

View attachment 546582 Four kexts added to the /OC/Kexts folder, as should always be the case

ACPI folder.
You don't need the SSDT-AWAC.aml table when installing macOS on a Kaby Lake system. It should be used with a Coffee or Comet Lake system, so you don't need it.

IF your system requires any SSDT's, you should create a custom them using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script as part of the post-installation process.

Drivers folder.
If you plan to use the OC GUI in place of the Picker List you need to add OpenCanopy.efi to the /OC/Drivers folder.

Kexts.
Having moved the four erroneously placed kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder I now have noticed you have a pair of kexts that should not be used together.

When running macOS Catalina or newer you should not be using BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. This kext is meant for use when running Mojave or older versions of macOS.

When running Catalina you need to use the BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, for a Broadcom Bluetooth module.

Resources folder.
This is empty, so you can only use the OC Picker List when booting your system. This is not an issue but it isn't the best use of OpenCore.

Tools folder.
This folder is also empty. Usually 3 x Tools are retained in this folder, as they can be helpful when booting the system. The three Tools are

I have attached a revised EFI folder for you to try when installing Catalina. It uses the same OC 0.7.7 version as your previous EFI but with a few changes to match the OC guide a bit more closely for your Kaby Lake system.

See how this works and post a screen image if it kernel panics.
Thanks Edhawk for the reply. Was able to change the EFI and give it a try this evening. Same result. It loads just fine until it reaches the load bar prior to Disk Utility window and after about 3 secs the screen goes black and then the monitor shows no signal. It's driving me mad. I really want to get with the program and change from clover to opencore.

I have looked at you article "

Custom SSDT's using Corpnewt's SSDTTime​

and will try to start working on that tomorrow. Thanks, for all you work on this site!
Cheers, Jim

OK I think I have done all the things you suggested. Checked CFG lock and found the correct code so evidently this mobo is unlocked with the latest F8 bios, made custom SSDT's and installed them, mapped my usb ports, and tried to clean up my OC folder. But....I did take a step backwards and put this on a Mojave install and it works pretty well - have wifi but no ethernet or sleep. I would like to have ethernet but don't know exactly which kexts to install. It will not install Catalina - stops right after it reaches the install load bar. I would appreciate it if you will check out this new efi and comment and suggest how to get ethernet going. Do you think I could just do an upgrade to Catalina by just running Install Cataline?

Thanks again for your help moving over to OC

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 55
For your Ethernet to work you need to be using IntelMausi.kext, as you have a 1GB Intel Ethernet controller on your motherboar.

The kext can be downloaded from the link above. Remember to add the appropriate entry to your config.plist for the kext, otherwise it won’t be injected by OpenCore.

I will have a look at your revised EFI later.

For your Ethernet to work you need to be using IntelMausi.kext, as you have a 1GB Intel Ethernet controller on your motherboar.

The kext can be downloaded from the link above. Remember to add the appropriate entry to your config.plist for the kext, otherwise it won’t be injected by OpenCore.

I will have a look at your revised EFI later.
OK, I installed it in the Kext folder and ran OC snapshot and it inserted and was the last kext in the kernel. Restarted and it did not load. Checked in Hackintool and it does not show up as loaded. I do not understand why it will not load. Oh, I did check Network and no choice to create LAN.

Did you reset Nvram before booting in to macOS, after adding the kext to your OC setup?

You may need to delete the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file and reboot your system, in order for the Ethernet port to be recognised.

First you have to place the Catalina Data drive in read/write mode, as the file you need to delete is protected by the macOS security.

To do this you need to open Hackintool, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the 'Disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode' icon (third from the right), as highlighted in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 22.13.59.png Hackintool >Utilities > Disable Gatekeeper.... icon

Once your disk is in read/write mode you should be able to delete the NetworkInterface.plist from the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.

You should also delete any and all Network devices currently present in the System Preferences > Network Preference pane, use the '-' (minus) icon below the list of network devices to remove each device. If you are asked if you want the device to be created when you next boot, select 'Yes'.

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 22.19.02.png Example of System Preferences > Network pane

After this you need to reboot your system.

MacOS will recreate the NetworkingInterface.plist automatically.

Hopefully as you have the Ethernet kext in your setup, the Ethernet device will appear in the list with the BSD Device Name 'en0'.

You may have to manually add the Network devices in the System Preferences > Network pane, if the system doesn't automatically create them. If this is the case add the Ethernet first, then the WiFi, then the Bluetooth. The '+' (plus) sign below the Network device pane should allow you to create any missing Network devices.

Did you reset Nvram before booting in to macOS, after adding the kext to your OC setup?

You may need to delete the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file and reboot your system, in order for the Ethernet port to be recognised.

First you have to place the Catalina Data drive in read/write mode, as the file you need to delete is protected by the macOS security.

To do this you need to open Hackintool, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the 'Disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode' icon (third from the right), as highlighted in the screenshot below.

View attachment 546706 Hackintool >Utilities > Disable Gatekeeper.... icon

Once your disk is in read/write mode you should be able to delete the NetworkInterface.plist from the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.

You should also delete any and all Network devices currently present in the System Preferences > Network Preference pane, use the '-' (minus) icon below the list of network devices to remove each device. If you are asked if you want the device to be created when you next boot, select 'Yes'.

View attachment 546707 Example of System Preferences > Network pane

After this you need to reboot your system.

MacOS will recreate the NetworkingInterface.plist automatically.

Hopefully as you have the Ethernet kext in your setup, the Ethernet device will appear in the list with the BSD Device Name 'en0'.

You may have to manually add the Network devices in the System Preferences > Network pane, if the system doesn't automatically create them. If this is the case add the Ethernet first, then the WiFi, then the Bluetooth. The '+' (plus) sign below the Network device pane should allow you to create any missing Network devices.
Don't forget, I took a step back and now running on my first successful OC install on Mojave 10.14.6 thanks to you.

I did the above steps and a nvram restart on each one and NO option to create Ethernet. I also checked my plist and the kext is still there in last position in Kernel but Hackintool still says it is not loaded. Should I try another kext?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back