CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys, I as wondering if anyone using ASUS Z77 boards could give some advice / Tips to help activating over clocking on Mountain Lion?

Windows over clocking works totally perfectly. Tonymac overclock does not show up though different geekbench scores and system profiler.

Everything was fine with Snow leopard and the over clock was showing.

I tried using a special bios from biosrepro and removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but the clock setting would not stick sometimes for both mac and windows (was fine at 4.4 for a month but then capped out at 3.9 after a power outage). it seemed like an unstable BIOS

I now have the most recent Normal Bios for My board but still no overclock. Any ideas?

My system: ASUS p8z77-le plus , 3770K, saphire 6870

Is OSX giving you a higher geekbench result? Sometimes the oc clockspeed is just not displayed.
Have you used a DSDT? Maybe that will help.

OSX is not Giving a higher geek bench result when I over clock. (it does however on windows)

I have tried now with a DSDT and was able to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and boot without panics, but still no overclock is showing?

I also tried with a SSDT created using MaciASL adn placing in the Extra folder. No luck.

I have also recently tried with hyper threading on and off, and also disabling c-state in the bios. No luck.

Could it be a bios setting I'm missing?

Hi Guys, I as wondering if anyone using ASUS Z77 boards could give some advice / Tips to help activating over clocking on Mountain Lion?

Windows over clocking works totally perfectly. Tonymac overclock does not show up though different geekbench scores and system profiler.

Everything was fine with Snow leopard and the over clock was showing.

I tried using a special bios from biosrepro and removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but the clock setting would not stick sometimes for both mac and windows (was fine at 4.4 for a month but then capped out at 3.9 after a power outage). it seemed like an unstable BIOS

I now have the most recent Normal Bios for My board but still no overclock. Any ideas?

My system: ASUS p8z77-le plus , 3770K, saphire 6870

I did mine today. Ended up having to disable EIST in BIOS to get M.L to actually see it and increase geedbench. My system still scales up\down to 1600 when 4200 isn't needed. Maybe try that, you can always change it back.

I did mine today. Ended up having to disable EIST in BIOS to get M.L to actually see it and increase geedbench. My system still scales up\down to 1600 when 4200 isn't needed. Maybe try that, you can always change it back.

I tried with Speed Step disabled, and enabled no luck.

So far I have tried:

Speed step disabled and enabled
Hypertheading disabled and enabled

With DSDT.aml in extras folder
With SSDT.aml in extras folder

removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Installing the fakesmc for hardware monitor.

and about all possible combinations of the above .

I'm really scratching my head as to why I am not getting an over clock?

At this stage I am open to all and any suggestions no matter how wild or speculative.

Am I overlooking something obvious like a special overclocking kext or something?

Those with similar motherboard what were your steps?

I have an Asus Maximus V Extreme with an i7-3770K with overclock working and showing in iStat and HWMonitor as 4.4GHz. About This Mac shows only 3.5GHz. At one time when I had a Gigabyte mobo for a few days I got OSX to show 4.5GHz in About This Mac, but I'm not sure how and the setting/options in the Asus BIOS are different.

I was having similar issues with BIOS 1604 download from the repo and the overclock showing sometimes and not showing others. It was all over the place and sometimes the BIOS settings would change on there own. So I downloaded the latest BIOS 1802 and patched it with PMPatch and everything has been perfect since then.

After that, here's how I got mine going.... (some of my settings and things I've done may not apply to you)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIOS settings:

Press F5 to load Optimized Defaults. Save settings and restart. Go back into BIOS settings.

CPU Level Up: 4.4. Auto restarts when selecting this. Go back into BIOS settings.

Extreme Tweaker menu / Ai Overclock Tuner: X.M.P.

Main Menu / Set date and time

Advanced Menu / CPU Configuration - no changes

Advanced Menu / PCH Configuration / High Precision Timer - Enabled
Advanced Menu / PCH Configuration / Rapid Start - Disabled
Advanced Menu / PCH Configuration / Smart Connect - Disabled

Advanced Menu / SATA Configuration / SATA Mode - AHCI
Advanced Menu / SATA Configuration / Hot Swap - set as desired

Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / Memory Remap Feature: Enabled
Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / Graphics Configuration / Primary Display: iGPU
Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / Graphics Configuration / iGPU Memory: 64MB
Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / Graphics Configuration / Render Standby: Enabled
Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / Graphics Configuration / iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled

Advanced Menu / System Agent Configuration / NB PCIe Configuration - no changes

Advanced Menu / Intel Thunderbolt Configuration - no changes

Advanced Menu / USB Configuration / Legacy USB Support: Enabled
Advanced Menu / USB Configuration / Legacy USB3.0 Support: Enabled
Advanced Menu / USB Configuration / Intel xHCI: Enabled
Advanced Menu / USB Configuration / EHCI Handoff: Enabled

Advanced Menu / Onboard Devices Configuration - no changes

Advanced Menu / APM - no changes

Advanced Menu / Network stack - no changes

Monitor Menu / Voltage Monitor - no changes
Monitor Menu / Temperature Monitor - no changes
Monitor Menu / Fan Speed Monitor - no changes
Monitor Menu / Fan Speed Control - disabled all because I noticed the fans run faster and I'm not using sleep/standby/power management

Boot Menu - left as default, but change settings as desired to boot from correct drive

Save settings and restart

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make DSDT using MaciASL

Set the iASL version to 5.0 in the MaciASL preferences
Add to repo sources in preferences: http://pjalm.info/repos/asus and http://pjalm.info/repos/graphics
Click Patch in toolbar.
Select PJALM ASUS / Maximus V Extreme on left sidebar, wait for text to appear in both panes.
Click Apply, wait for 2 panes to clear.
Click Close
Click Compile in the toolbar (May get an error. Find the line referenced and add a \ (backslash) before the .SB…
Click Patch in toolbar.
Select PJALM Graphics / Generic Discrete Graphics (AMD/nVidia) on left sidebar, wait for text to appear in both panes.
Click Close
Click Compile in the toolbar
Click Patch in toolbar.
Select PJALM Graphics / Intel HD4000 on left sidebar, wait for text to appear in both panes.
Click Close
Click Compile in the toolbar (May get an error. Find the line referenced and add a \ (backslash) before the .SB…
Save file. Choose type ACPI Machine Language Binary. Change name to DSDT.aml and save to Macintosh HD / Extra folder.
Quit MaciASL.

Run MultiBeast

Check off the following:
UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
Drivers / Audio / Realtek ALC8xx / With DSDT / ALC898
Drivers / Disk / 3rd Party - SATA
Drivers / Disk / 3rd Party - eSATA
Drivers / Disk / TRIM Enabler / 10.8.3+ TRIM Patch
Drivers / Miscellaneous / FakeSMC v5.2.275 Plugins / Plugins
Drivers / Miscellaneous / FakeSMC v5.2.275 Plugins / HWMonitor
Customization / Boot Options / 1080p Display
Customization / Power Management Hibernate Mode / Desktop
System Definitions / iMac / iMac 12,2

Edit org.chamelaon.Boot.plist (I use Text Wrangler, it's free) and change...

Graphics Mode to 2560x1080x32
GraphicsEnabler to No
remove darkwake=0 in Kernel Flags
Timeout to 1

Make SSDT

Run ssdtPRGen. This will install ssdtPRGen.command and an alias for ssdtPRGen.sh in the user home folder.
Open Terminal
Drag ssdtPRGen.command to the Terminal window and add "'i7-3770K' 4400" to it so it's like:
/Users/username/ssdtPRGen.command 'i7-3770K' 4400
Press enter. Enter password. Answer no to not copy to the Extra folder.
Rename ssdt_pr.aml on the desktop to SSDT.aml and move to the Extra folder.
Move ssdt_pr.dsl on the desktop to the trash.
Quit Terminal.

Make smbios.plist.

Open Chameleon Wizard
Click SMBIOS tab
Click Edit button
Under Premade SMBIOS, select iMac12,2
Click the two Random buttons a few times
Click Save and Quit.

Restart. You should be overclocked.

Note that you can choose whatever overclock you want, you just need to make sure you put the right frequency in the ssdtPRGen command when you create your SSDT. I actually have multiple SSDT's ready to go so I can change my overclock whenever I want. All I do is replace the SSDT with the appropriate one for the overclock frequency I'm switching to, then restart, go into the BIOS, change the Level Up (4.2, 4.4, or 4.6) or select the Load Gamer's OC Profile (for 4.8GHz), switch back to XMP Profile for my RAM (2400MHz), and check the rest of the settings to make sure they're all still correct. Then start up OS X and all is good.

Also, I did not remove those kexts. No need to since my BIOS is patched. I don't know if sleep works or not. I don't use sleep on my workstation.

I tried with Speed Step disabled, and enabled no luck.

So far I have tried:

Speed step disabled and enabled
Hypertheading disabled and enabled

With DSDT.aml in extras folder
With SSDT.aml in extras folder

removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Installing the fakesmc for hardware monitor.

and about all possible combinations of the above .

I'm really scratching my head as to why I am not getting an over clock?

At this stage I am open to all and any suggestions no matter how wild or speculative.

Am I overlooking something obvious like a special overclocking kext or something?

Those with similar motherboard what were your steps?

Try leaving speedstep and hyperthreading enabled. only OC the turbo boost setting. try disable EIST. boot without DSDT or SSDT (delete or move them from extra folder) and use boot flag DSDT=null

If you can boot into OSX with those settings, open terminal and type command bdmesg and post to thread. Post to thread, if the CPU still isn't recognized properly try running multi beast with mac mini 6,2 selected and under SSDT select the i7\i5 overclocked processor option...

My setup didn't like that SSDT but yours may?

Different combinations of the above steps will yield different results I found. You might get a kernel panic if you overclock over 4.3 gHz. There is a fix for that but I haven't investigated it yet.

flmmkr and Jet99 Thank you so much for this guidance (flmmkr you could make a real guide with all those concise instructions and I'm grateful), I have worked though both of your suggestions but no luck yet, I'm going to go through both again very carefully step by step and let you know.

My suspicion is the actual bios version blocking it.

Just wanted to let you know I'm working on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back