Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 L521X
CPU
i7-3632QM
Graphics
HD 4000 + GT 640M (1920x1080)
Hello everyone, this is my first post on tonymacx86.
I am not new to hackintosh, my first install was on a pre-built Asus desktop, but the results were awful and I could not get to work anything other than OSX Mavericks.
I am planning to buy all the parts for a new build that I will use for Uni and programming in general, with Windows dual boot as well.
Since I know how hard it can be to install OSX on not very compatible hardware, I want to buy only parts that are known to work well even in case of a software update (awful past experience) and on which the PC will be stable and will have as few problems as possible. I understand that it is not easy anyway, but I would like to know which parts are better in terms of easiness of installation and community support.
I am thinking about an i7-6700k build with a gtx970 and I can spend around 1000£, my main problem is finding a good and well compatible mobo.
Also, I am not sure whether to wait until the i7-7700 will be fully supported or not, what do you think I should do?
I know that the tonymacx86 community is the best in the hackintosh field and I hope I will receive some answers!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on tonymacx86.
I am not new to hackintosh, my first install was on a pre-built Asus desktop, but the results were awful and I could not get to work anything other than OSX Mavericks.
I am planning to buy all the parts for a new build that I will use for Uni and programming in general, with Windows dual boot as well.
Since I know how hard it can be to install OSX on not very compatible hardware, I want to buy only parts that are known to work well even in case of a software update (awful past experience) and on which the PC will be stable and will have as few problems as possible. I understand that it is not easy anyway, but I would like to know which parts are better in terms of easiness of installation and community support.
I am thinking about an i7-6700k build with a gtx970 and I can spend around 1000£, my main problem is finding a good and well compatible mobo.
Also, I am not sure whether to wait until the i7-7700 will be fully supported or not, what do you think I should do?
I know that the tonymacx86 community is the best in the hackintosh field and I hope I will receive some answers!

My recent build with similar components used a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3. Everything is working fine. Sorry, can't help with your question on the latest chipset.

My recent build with similar components used a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3. Everything is working fine. Sorry, can't help with your question on the latest chipset.
Thank you very much for your comment!
Was the installation difficult? Which guide did you follow?

The Golden Builds and Users Builds sections of the forum have many success stories. Check some of the builds that use motherboards that you have interest in and pay attention to see what they have working and not working. Personally, I have had great success with my Z170 build and have zero regrets about moving to it and selling my old Mac Pro.

The Golden Builds and Users Builds sections of the forum have many success stories. Check some of the builds that use motherboards that you have interest in and pay attention to see what they have working and not working. Personally, I have had great success with my Z170 build and have zero regrets about moving to it and selling my old Mac Pro.
Thank you very much for your answer!
I will dig some more in the user builds and I will hopefully find more answers.

Thank you very much for your comment!
Was the installation difficult? Which guide did you follow?

I used the TonyMac86 build guides for Sierra. I am a first time builder, so I ran into a few snags that were all solved by posters here on the forum (mostly changes to config.plist). Also, I learned that no faster than 2133 MHz Ram was compatible with my motherboard. My sound was solved with a USB connector and bluetooth with a USB dongle. A 3-part video series was very useful for the hardware install (first video:
). Good luck. The effort and challenges are worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back