Contribute
Register

Need help upgrading to Sierra, installation hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a fully working El Capitan installation with Clover as my boot loader. From the Sierra install guides I have read, they say I should just be able to upgrade to Sierra, but it is not working for me. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My pertinent hardware information is below, and I have attached some screenshots for reference.

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy ridge
Nvidia GTX 960

View attachment 270610
View attachment 270612

Using incorrect SMBIOS. Use iMac 13,2. iMac 14,2 doesn't use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.

No problem. So before you're response I tried removing my video card and doing the installation , but surprisingly it failed at the same spot.

I then tried it again with the card back in wit the boot flags(not the safe mode one) and it failed at the same spot again.

Lastly I tried with the boot flags you recommend and safe mode and it just kept repeating "invalid sandbox profile for pix XXX (bad address)" where XXX is a 3 digit number.

View attachment 270807

Are you doing a direct upgrade?

Sorry, I am without any more ideas about this problem.

I don't have your board to run some live real world trials.

But I have read about successful Sierra Installation on this board but in UEFI mode with an updated BIOS [ making it UEFI ready] and fresh installation NOT Upgrade. [see a reference:http://z68x.mcdonnelltech.com/
Well once again I thank you for your time. I will continue to try things and if I make any progress I will report back here.

Using incorrect SMBIOS. Use iMac 13,2. iMac 14,2 doesn't use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.

Are you doing a direct upgrade?
Thank you form your response.

I don't know what you mean by direct upgrade, but what I am doing to simply downloading macOS Sierra from the App Store and running the installation. When it reboots and actually tries to start the installation is where I run into the issue.

As far as the SMBIOS, I will try what you recommended, but that is the setting I have for my current El Capitan install and it works fine.

I don't know what you mean by direct upgrade, but what I am doing to simply downloading macOS Sierra from the App Store and running the installation. When it reboots and actually tries to start the installation is where I run into the issue.

As far as the SMBIOS, I will try what you recommended, but that is the setting I have for my current El Capitan install and it works fine.

I realize you want to save all your current data the way they are in the System and hence going for the so called Direct Upgrade (upgrading to a new version without wiping out the Disk and installing using an Installation medium) rather than Fresh installation using USB installer containing the System created using Tonymac Unibeast method or other means. Its advantage seems to have been outstripped by the time and efforts you've already spent to fix this up.

If I were in that position, I would copy all my personal data to an External drive ( and it is good in another way as it will have a longer 'shelf-life' and less likely to be lost with a hard disk crash from thisc current older hdd) and then wipe this disk clean in Disk Utility during installation with a Unibeast UEFI Sierra USB installer and create a new system preferably in the more modern UEFI mode after BIOS update is done to the MoBo. Or if you can buy a new HDD use that instead without formatting this for now and use it as a second OS X in the same system as Multiboot from Clover.

I realize you want to save all your current data the way they are in the System and hence going for the so called Direct Upgrade (upgrading to a new version without wiping out the Disk and installing using an Installation medium) rather than Fresh installation using USB installer containing the System created using Tonymac Unibeast method or other means. Its advantage seems to have been outstripped by the time and efforts you've already spent to fix this up.

If I were in that position, I would copy all my personal data to an External drive ( and it is good in another way as it will have a longer 'shelf-life' and less likely to be lost with a hard disk crash from thisc current older hdd) and then wipe this disk clean in Disk Utility during installation with a Unibeast UEFI Sierra USB installer and create a new system preferably in the more modern UEFI mode after BIOS update is done to the MoBo. Or if you can buy a new HDD use that instead without formatting this for now and use it as a second OS X in the same system as Multiboot from Clover.

Yeah that has been my fallback position and I am just about at that point. Then again, I might as well wait for High Sierra to be released to go that route.

Of of the main reason I wanted to do an upgrade was I thought it would be a way of avoiding the issue I had with my GTX960 being an obstacle. Do you think that card would be problematic during a fresh install?

Yeah that has been my fallback position and I am just about at that point. Then again, I might as well wait for High Sierra to be released to go that route.

Of of the main reason I wanted to do an upgrade was I thought it would be a way of avoiding the issue I had with my GTX960 being an obstacle. Do you think that card would be problematic during a fresh install?
Your Video card Nvidia GTX 960 should work in Sierra all the way to the current 10.12.6 with Nvidia Webdriver [fresh install of sierra + multibeast 9.1.0 + alternate Nvidia driver(NVIDIA web-driver > https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/) ---> Full QE/CI (Quartz Extreme and Core Image).

Direct upgrade is downloading the app then running the App to upgrade. You've not attached Clover Folder with Themes Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back