Graphics
XFX ATI 5770 ZNFC -flashed.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, Not my first install but this issue has really stumped me. I was running 10.6.7 very nicely but I wanted a clean install of Lion so I reinstalled SL and have yet to be able to upgrade to 10.6.8 successfully. I used a combo update 10.6.8, failed. Used a combo update 10.6.7 successful, then system update to 10.6.8 Failed. What happens is every time I try to boot after upgraded to 10.6.8 the boot process stops at the loading gray apple screen. Verbose notification shows in the last few lines are:

"
Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0:...
"

and a solid type cursor. It's frozen.

I am using the F8 DSDT pre edited .aml file from Tonymac's database. GA-P55-USB3 rev. 2.0

I have a XFX ATI 5770 video card

i7-870

What is causing this issue, can't be my video card can it? It won't even boot into the OS but in 10.6.7 it's running perfectly. Is it the new kernel in 10.6.8 throwing me off?

UPDATE: I tried again installing 10.6.8 from the combo update. The Multibeast Installatopn fails for some reason. I get an error window "The installation failed." The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." Guess that means you Tony :). I first did a clean install of 10.6.2 from the retail disk. Then use the Combo update to 10.6.8. It asks me to restart but before I do I open multi beast to install the following Kext:

FakeSMC
User DSDT
System utilities*
IOUSBRollback
Chimera Bootloader*

*Not kext.

Any suggestions ANyone? please? :( I really want Lion.

Do you think I'll have to just wait for the LION USB to come out and wait till Tony comes out with a method to directly fresh install Lion w/o SL? What specific hardware can be causing this issue? I have read around and no one with my same specs have encountered problems, only a few with the video card but not the same issue I'm having. please help :-\

Sounds similar to the issue I'm having at the moment - pretty much the same steps, but I end up with a "please restart your computer" message. I'm using a GA-EX58-UD5 & a Gigabyte GeForce 560Ti.

The MultiBeast install failure seems to be something to do with the repair permissions / rebuild cache scripts. If you have an old version of MultiBeast, try using that to repair & rebuild. (3.2.0 & 3.5.2 work for me)

That said, I must have been through this at least 10 times today and haven't managed to get into 10.6.8 yet (I managed to get it working once a couple of days ago, and even got as far as Lion but didn't like the way my partitions had been set up, so started again. I should have just stuck with that - haven't managed to get it working since! but at least I know it can be done!)

I wouldn't mind if it didn't take so long to reinstall SL.. I'm going to look for a drive cloning tool before I reboot this time.

This is miserable, I figured the repairing permission mistake in multibeast, but I still cannot figure out even with proper repair permissions and installation of next LION won't boot.

I got as far as logging in as root in shell and some failure of kexts messages, but no go on 10.6.8. I just cannot load the OS with 10.6.8.

Im really bummed at the moment. Let me know if you figure out what you did different last time. i can get 10.6.7 to work every time flawlessly witht he same multi beast method, it repairs and caches perfectly in 6.7.

Ok, so after much faffing about I've managed to get into 10.6.8.

Here's what I did, scatterbrained thought process included:

- Once I booted into the vanilla Snow Leopard installation I made a bootable backup on a separate partition using SuperDuper, in case things went awry. See this guide.

- Before I went any further I rebooted without installing multibeast or combo updates to make sure I could still boot into my installation via iBoot. I also booted into the backup drive to make sure it was working correctly

- Next, I rebooted into the original installation and installed the 10.6.7 combo update (BTW, my SL cd is v10.6.3, I can't say if this works with 10.6.2)

- Run multibeast 3.5.2, set up a minimal version: UserDSDT, no audio or network drivers, 64bit Apple Boot Screen, System definition.
I also ticked Rebuild Caches & Repair Permissions.

- Rebooted back into the main installation (using -v), things were normally breaking for me at this point, I think this was because previously I hadn't been ticking the 64-bit boot screen option.

- Install 10.6.8. I used MultiBeast 3.8.0, same options as before, but this time didn't tick Repair Permissions. I also added network / audio drivers at this point. The install should succeed, but if you try repairing permissions afterwards you'll find it fails.

Turns out, I wasn't able to repair permissions via MultiBeast 3.5.2 either, nor via the Disk Utility. So what I said in my first post is actually a complete lie, sorry!

- I figured I'd done all I could, so the only thing left was to reboot and see what happens. I can always try repairing permissions from the SuperDuper backup if necessary.

- Fortunately I didn't have to boot into the backup drive. The main install booted ok, and I've got network and audio, graphics aren't fully working yet. I ran Disk Utility straight away and repaired the disk permissions from there.

Next step is a well-earned "phew, that took two bloody days to fix" victory beer! Followed by cloning the current installation before I go anywhere near Lion :)

Hope that helps, sorry for the rambling post!

Hi mate.

I was getting KP's all the time updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8. The procedure i followed was:

Install SL with iBoot method.
Once you're in your desktop run UPDATEHELPER, available in downloads.
Reboot
Run multibeast+Comboupdate. When you install the update, DON'T REBOOT, then use the options;
UserDSDT,DISK,CHIMERA,64 bit boot screen.

Then you have your 10.6.8 up and running.

See you!

Hey!

Have you solved the problem mate?

See you!

I suppose that you fixed the problem?

So sorry I didn't even see your replies there. Don't know what happened.

Anyways, I never officially fixed the problem of updating to 10.6.8, though I just went form 10.6.7 to lion directly. (At that time I didn't know I could do that). The problem for me was the video card. It wouldn't let me go to the installer of Lion, so I traded with my roomate for his 5770 for my 5770. The one that worked for me was the ASUS EAH5770.

Hope this helps.

-cheers mate.

Try with some GTX 4xx, but if you don't wanna buy another card, keep that, it's pretty cool.

See you around!

:) thanks for your follow up. Might be back on this thread soon, tried a fresh lion install the other day n the same machine, can't even boot up into Lion install. I'll spend some more time on it in May during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back