Contribute
Register

Need Help setting up Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 for MSI z97s Krait Edition For DSDT reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I seriously need help;I'm at the end of my wits here. For some strange reason the first time i did this everything went fine until something kept me from booting again. fast forward to now and I'm having all sort of problems. my specs are MSI Z97s Sli Krait Edition, i7 4790k and a evga geforce gtx 970 (also have an old Galaxy Geforce GT 640 i never used just for kicks). and if it means anything I'm using a samsung 250gb ssd with two partitions: one windows 8.1 and the other mac os x, which I've been able to run so there isnt a compatibility issue. in my bios, boot mode is ahcp, vt-d disabled and cfg disabled.

first off, do the graphics cards need to be plugged in in order to install the nvidia web drivers? so far the only way for me to boot properly is in safe mode with the cards removed, and the web drivers show the "this version of mac (currently for me its 10.10.3) in incompatible with these drivers", even though I already used MultiBeast to change to Mac Pro 3,1.

now, when it comes to booting with the cards in, any combination of boot flags is useless. right now my Dsdt is as this:
-no quick start options selected
-Drivers =audio: realtek alc892 | network: realtek 8111 | misc: fakesmc and its plugins
-chimera bootloader installed
-mac pro 3,1
-verbose boot, 1080p display mode, instant menu, kext dev mode
-nvda_drv=1 in kernal flags

now when i try to boot this way, I'm seeing usually two kinds of errors, and they all seem to be related to something regarding dsmos: the first is the error about how the bluetooth controller cant be found, and the other is "sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 581"

now another concern I have is about my bios. the hard drive partitions are in guid. but now I'm learning the the bios for my mobo (BIOS 4) is uefi based. and I'm hearing that you can initially create everything on a guid partition, but then you have to clone it to a MBR partition. any leads?

please help, as I do intend to add my findings and create a dsdt to share via this site for this mobo

as a follow up, my bios has two boot modes, uefi or legacy+uefi, so im wondering if that helps at all. also posting some photos i've gotten so far. each are from separate boot sessions

IMG_1109.jpgIMG_1110.jpg

I seriously need help;I'm at the end of my wits here. For some strange reason the first time i did this everything went fine until something kept me from booting again. fast forward to now and I'm having all sort of problems. my specs are MSI Z97s Sli Krait Edition, i7 4790k and a evga geforce gtx 970 (also have an old Galaxy Geforce GT 640 i never used just for kicks). and if it means anything I'm using a samsung 250gb ssd with two partitions: one windows 8.1 and the other mac os x, which I've been able to run so there isnt a compatibility issue. in my bios, boot mode is ahcp, vt-d disabled and cfg disabled.

first off, do the graphics cards need to be plugged in in order to install the nvidia web drivers? so far the only way for me to boot properly is in safe mode with the cards removed, and the web drivers show the "this version of mac (currently for me its 10.10.3) in incompatible with these drivers", even though I already used MultiBeast to change to Mac Pro 3,1.

now, when it comes to booting with the cards in, any combination of boot flags is useless. right now my Dsdt is as this:
-no quick start options selected
-Drivers =audio: realtek alc892 | network: realtek 8111 | misc: fakesmc and its plugins
-chimera bootloader installed
-mac pro 3,1
-verbose boot, 1080p display mode, instant menu, kext dev mode
-nvda_drv=1 in kernal flags

now when i try to boot this way, I'm seeing usually two kinds of errors, and they all seem to be related to something regarding dsmos: the first is the error about how the bluetooth controller cant be found, and the other is "sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 581"

now another concern I have is about my bios. the hard drive partitions are in guid. but now I'm learning the the bios for my mobo (BIOS 4) is uefi based. and I'm hearing that you can initially create everything on a guid partition, but then you have to clone it to a MBR partition. any leads?

please help, as I do intend to add my findings and create a dsdt to share via this site for this mobo

Driver Install: The driver package does check for the hardware being installed. Here is a post I put together that will solve that problem (#3) and allow you to install the drivers without the GPU installed.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-problems.html

UEFI vs UEFI+Legacy: I believe you need to keep it set to UEFI+Legacy when using Chameleon since it is a Legacy boot loader. Clover is an EFI boot loader and will boot much faster on a UEFI board and it can be set to UEFI only then. I use Clover on my MSI UEFI board and have it set to UEFI only. In my opinion if you have a UEFI board then you should use Clover.

GPT vs MBR: Chimera/Chameleon will boot fine from a GPT. You can even have Chimera/OS X/Windows all on the same HDD if you setup a Hybrid MBR.

Bios Setting: I also have a MSI board and the only settings I had to change to boot OS X were VT to disabled and CFG Lock to disabled. Other than that I set my board to UEFI Only and turned on fast boot for Windows 8.1.

okay so both the nvidia web and cuda drivers are installed (however when i install the cuda driver, it keeps saying the installation failed even though the cuda preference pane appears and works in system preferences. also for the web drivers it installed but clicking on its system preference pane keeps saying it didnt install properly. However I'm assuming this is happening because the cards weren't in yet and they were failing becuase there were no cards to recognize).

with the cards now back in, i've booted three times with no flags, except the ones installed in the multibeast plist which are the kext dev kit, -v and nvda_drv=1. all three have ended with kernal panics due to the bluetooth controller missing line:
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEvnetTimeoutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

not sure if anything else will happen afterwards, but i can find the fix for this i might be in the green. unless its true that this is actually because of that whole dsmos error

okay so both the nvidia web and cuda drivers are installed (however when i install the cuda driver, it keeps saying the installation failed even though the cuda preference pane appears and works in system preferences. also for the web drivers it installed but clicking on its system preference pane keeps saying it didnt install properly. However I'm assuming this is happening because the cards weren't in yet and they were failing becuase there were no cards to recognize).

with the cards now back in, i've booted three times with no flags, except the ones installed in the multibeast plist which are the kext dev kit, -v and nvda_drv=1. all three have ended with kernal panics due to the bluetooth controller missing line:
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEvnetTimeoutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

not sure if anything else will happen afterwards, but i can find the fix for this i might be in the green. unless its true that this is actually because of that whole dsmos error

The drivers will install just fine without the card installed. You have something else going on that is causing them to fail.

Success! with the cards in i was able to boot with the flags npci=0x2000 -x -v nvda_drv=1 and dart=0. from there i had to install the drivers again now that the cards were in, and they recognized the cards. i booted again with just the same flags but without -x and everything was fine (even the lickering graphics were fixed, which im guessing was caused by safe boot). so now i have to figure out getting the audio to work through hdmi and the line in ports (for some strange reason the latter isn't working to my surprise) and figure out if my wireless wifi adapter can work. when its all figures out i will post all my findings soon.

thanks again to all of you!

Success! with the cards in i was able to boot with the flags npci=0x2000 -x -v nvda_drv=1 and dart=0. from there i had to install the drivers again now that the cards were in, and they recognized the cards. i booted again with just the same flags but without -x and everything was fine (even the lickering graphics were fixed, which im guessing was caused by safe boot). so now i have to figure out getting the audio to work through hdmi and the line in ports (for some strange reason the latter isn't working to my surprise) and figure out if my wireless wifi adapter can work. when its all figures out i will post all my findings soon.

thanks again to all of you!

This kext should add HDMI audio out for your card. There is a 1.0 version of the kext in the OP but there is also a 1.1 version somewhere in the thread if the 1.0 version doesn't work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499797

First of all sorry if I should've made another thread, but I thought it's best to ask in this one as many here seem to have the GTX 970 too! I just got my Hackintosh 10.10.4 up and running, and everything works quite well. Installed the latest NVIDIA web drivers too.

However, I have some weird problems I think are GPU-related... Couldn't find anything on the forums, except some vague clues from other problems people have had that didn't help me that much as a hackintosh noob! I've done a BIOS mod to 1506Mhz core and 7900Mhz memory clocks + XBAR, GPC, SYS and other mods. The card boosts correctly in Windows to the required levels with correct voltage stepping (that took a month lol) and usually stays at the default 1114Mhz when at idle. Everything is good and snappy and in games it goes to 1506Mhz nicely.

But in OSX the max it goes to is 1.22Ghz core according to HWMonitor and I am experiencing some bad scroll lag in Chrome, Safari and WebKit nightly. CPU also goes pretty low, to 800Mhz occasionally even when I'm drawing something in PHotoshop...

Would DSDT modding do it? CUDA Z shows the clocks correctly but why does HWmonitor show the core clock lower, and it even goes to 135Mhz sometimes? I kinda would like to avoid baking in the clocks to the BIOS even though I've made a BIOS with them for this card and used it for testing in Windows if there was any difference to this automatically boosting one. BIOS file attached just in case.

So the questions:
1. Do you know how to get the GPU working properly and boosting to 1.5Ghz, and to get it to show all the VRAM in about this Mac (even tho that's just visual)?
2. What did you have to do to get the card to work properly?
3. Do you know of any way to force the system to let CPU and GPU run at higher speeds constantly? Do I have to edit some power management kext plists or something crazy like that? :D

I'm booting with the attached config.plist in clover.
Driver version 346.02.02f02 (10.5.2). CUDA v7.0.29
Kexts installed: FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, RealtekRTL81xx.kext.
drivers64uefi: EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, NTFS.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
No DSDT or SSDT patching done yet

Thanks in advance and thanks for the great guides!

EDIT: I removed the NVIDIA inject flag from the config.plist but it didn't do much, just a bit better performance in some places, but it still shows GTX 970 0 MB (see pic) and scrolling in Chrome, Safari and other apps like Telegram is lagging. Trying other flags now.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 218
  • F1_kanttii_stable_OC.rom.zip
    137.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Nimetön-1.jpg
    Nimetön-1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 283
Bump. Anyone?

All is well otherwise, except I have some scroll lag. I've tried different mouses, using apple drivers, nvidia drivers different versions, repairing disk and permissions, and it hasn't gotten better. When I scroll any websites in Chromium, Safari, WebKit, there's a very visible jitter/lag there. Do you have any idea what could be causing it?

10.10.4, clover, followed the guides here! GTX 970, iMac 14,2 system definition. Specs in profile!

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back