Contribute
Register

Need help picking parts (UPDATED) "Can the CPU cooler run the overclock i want to push?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't buy H370 boards. NVRam is not native and once you use old UEFI drivers sleep doesn't work well.
I would buy Z370. They're unlocked. With unlocked boards you get fast ram and with fast ram you get speed out of Quick Synch in FCPX and Apple H264/H265 APi which Da Vinci uses too.
The fastest board I found with Quick synch are ASRock. I get with a RX580 XFX XXX 13.8Sec in the Bruce test.
With in i7 8700K. But ASRock boards are faster even on locked CPU but you need fast ram. These series of boards also have better VRM. Some low range boards get VRM overheating even with an i7-8700.
XFX XXX Rx580 is the best RX580 I tested. 150000 OCL. Sapphire Nitro SE Rx580 146000.
The most optimised drivers in MacOS are the Rx580 ones. You build a machine that is faster than an iMac Pro for a fraction.

Give back 2400 memory. If you do video you want quick synch to scream. You need 3200 CL15/CL16 ram.
Details like this one and another couple of things cost you a 30% more time to do the same task.
Then with i5-8600K it's nonsense to have an H370 board. that baby goes to 5.1 stable and you want to overclock it to 5.1 and then you want to overclock Quick Synch to 1350 too.
Thanks for all the info, unfortunately ive had this ram for a year, so i cant return it haha. But i can buy 3200MHz ram later on. As for the motherboard, it was on the buy list and thats why i have it on the list. Do you have any recommendations for a Z370 mobo that is easily hackintoshable, perhaps on on tonymacx86's buyer list? The issue is im very close to my budget, and i cant go more than like $15 max over my budget.

If you are worried about CPU temps when overclocking, consider delidding your CPU.

I run my i7-8700K at 5GHz on air cooling and have never hit 80C even on full load. I can get my CPU to 5.1GHz but it required a bit more voltage than I liked so I backed it down to 5GHz.

Here's my MSI RX 560 low profile. I've been very impressed by how well it performs especially since it's entirely PCI-e bus powered.
View attachment 356495
Oh, ive never ever done that before. But i guess i could try. Dont know much about delidding except that you need special tools and you can easily break a cpu if done wrong. But ill look into it. I want temps cool and breezy. Also thanks for the performance info for the RX 560, good to see results!

I wouldn't buy H370 boards. NVRam is not native and once you use old UEFI drivers sleep doesn't work well.
I would buy Z370. They're unlocked. With unlocked boards you get fast ram and with fast ram you get speed out of Quick Synch in FCPX and Apple H264/H265 APi which Da Vinci uses too.
The fastest board I found with Quick synch are ASRock. I get with a RX580 XFX XXX 13.8Sec in the Bruce test.
With in i7 8700K. But ASRock boards are faster even on locked CPU but you need fast ram. These series of boards also have better VRM. Some low range boards get VRM overheating even with an i7-8700.
XFX XXX Rx580 is the best RX580 I tested. 150000 OCL. Sapphire Nitro SE Rx580 146000.
The most optimised drivers in MacOS are the Rx580 ones. You build a machine that is faster than an iMac Pro for a fraction.

Give back 2400 memory. If you do video you want quick synch to scream. You need 3200 CL15/CL16 ram.
Details like this one and another couple of things cost you a 30% more time to do the same task.
Then with i5-8600K it's nonsense to have an H370 board. that baby goes to 5.1 stable and you want to overclock it to 5.1 and then you want to overclock Quick Synch to 1350 too.

What do you think about the GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P? Is it good for overclocking

What do you think about the GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P? Is it good for overclocking
ASRock Z370 are the fastest boards I tested for FCPX.
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
ASRock Z370 Pro 4

They don’t overclock as well as an Asus Prime Z370-A or above or the better Gigabyte but CPU @4.8 and iGPU @1.350 quick synch is really fast. Skip all Gigabyte motherboard that they forgot about VRM below Gaming 5.
Also Gigabyte I had reports you cannot overclock the iGPU unless u get the Gaming 7, I’d rather buy the Asus Prime Z370-A, it's good value for the money, can overclock CPU and iGPU well!
They are all as easy to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back