Contribute
Register

need help organizing harddrives (for a dual boot video editing / DAW system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i just built my first hackpro and it is a dual os (mavericks 10.9.1 & win7 on two separate SSDs)

I also have two 1 terabyte 7200rpm hitachi drives, as well as two 4tb external 5400rpm drives.

I plan on using both windows and osx to produce music and videos with the machine.

Im wondering what is the best way to organize the harddrives?

so far I have win7 installed on a 120gb ssd, and mavericks is installed on another ssd (128gb)

the 1tb hitachis will be the working drives; so no programs will be installed on them but all the audio and video samples/libraries will be located on them
should I dedicate one of each of the 1tb hitachis for each os?
if yes, how shoud I format them?

or would it be possible that I format them in a way (exfat?) so that both OS can see them?
(this would be beneficial since I dont have to waste drive space by having to put same sample libraries on both drives.

regarding the external 4tb drives; these will be storage drives.
originally i bought them thinking that i would pull them out of their enclosures and use them as internal drives preferably in a raid1 setup and formatted in a way so that each os can access them.
is this the way to go? is it possible? is exfat the best option to format with?

any help appreciated
thanx

You could just format them as NTFS and OS X will be able to read them. There are a few programs out there that will allow you to write to the drives (Tuxera, Paragon, etc.). I currently have a similar setup and have had no issues reading and writing to the connected hard drives that are formatted as NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back