Contribute
Register

Need help extracting BIOS information for Dell Inspiron 7370

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot comment on things you have done in the past, but failed to provide PR files for.
If you have an issue, you must provide full details and PR files.

You are at a dead end with your current install.

Suggest you start over with a fresh install and follow the guides in this forum (as per post #40).
And suggest you actually read advice already given in this thread (post #38).

Fine, I will try to start over after I get back after two weeks. Thanks for all the information.
It is still very a headache that we cannot detect some real error information from the debug files... There is just guessing but no real tracking of the error, by which I mean what exactly causes the reboot.

Other things not clear so far:
If the option "no reboot on KP" stops the reboot, is that still not a KP? Or, can we determine if it is a KP just based on the verbose information?

Fine, I will try to start over after I get back after two weeks. Thanks for all the information.
It is still very a headache that we cannot detect some real error information from the debug files... There is just guessing but no real tracking of the error.

My guess is you did something that is not easy to see in debug dumps.
Hence the suggestion to start over.

Other things not clear so far:
If the option "no reboot on KP" stops the reboot, is that still not a KP? Or, can we determine if it is a KP just based on the verbose information?

A KP displays very specific information (kernel backtrace).

My guess is you did something that is not easy to see in debug dumps.
Hence the suggestion to start over.

A KP displays very specific information (kernel backtrace).
Then why "no reboot on KP" will stop the reboot?

Then why "no reboot on KP" will stop the reboot?

You're asking why the option "no reboot on KP" stops the reboot that would normally happen on KP?
Really?

Seems obvious due to the description of the option ("no reboot on KP").

Seems obvious due to the description of the option ("no reboot on KP").
You said it is not a KP because there is no KP specific verbose information, if that is the case, then how can the option "no reboot on KP" stop the reboot given that it is not a KP?

You said it is not a KP because there is no KP specific verbose information, if that is the case, then how can the option "no reboot on KP" stop the reboot given that it is not a KP?

It is possible that reboot happens without KP.

So the option is really not "no reboot on KP" but "no reboot", yes?

The option sets kernel flag debug=0x100.
It does what it does.
Documented to the extent Apple might provide information regarding the debug kernel flag.

The option sets kernel flag debug=0x100.
It does what it does.
Documented to the extent Apple might provide information regarding the debug kernel flag.
I just find it very confusing. Let's say it is not KP, then how can an option "no stop on KP" stop the reboot given it is not KP? If the machine reboots due to other reasons instead of KP, this option should make no difference, right?

With "no stop on KP", it stops the reboot, then it implies it is KP. That is the logic I can follow.

I just find it very confusing. Let's say it is not KP, then how can an option "no stop on KP" stop the reboot given it is not KP? If the machine reboots due to other reasons instead of KP, this option should make no difference, right?

With "no stop on KP", it stops the reboot, then it implies it is KP. That is the logic I can follow.

The flag may have other side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back