Contribute
Register

Need help buying components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi etorix. Your message caught my eyes. I got your point on going for 850k or 900 instead. I don't really want to get into overclocking so 10900 (because of the tdp) seems a good choice. Got some heating issues in my 4790k build as well.

Regarding the iGPU, it's a bit unclear to me. Do you mean I've a choice to run the system without any dGPU?

And secondly, if I go for dGPU, is Nvidia a choice? Or should I still go for AMD.

I hope Im not troubling you with my stupid questions.:)

Thank you

Hi etorix. Your message caught my eyes. I got your point on going for 850k or 900 instead. I don't really want to get into overclocking so 10900 (because of the tdp) seems a good choice. Got some heating issues in my 4790k build as well.

Regarding the iGPU, it's a bit unclear to me. Do you mean I've a choice to run the system without any dGPU?

And secondly, if I go for dGPU, is Nvidia a choice? Or should I still go for AMD.

I hope Im not troubling you with my stupid questions.:)

Thank you
you can use iGPU on 10th gen processors

old nvidia cards can work but not new ones

AMD cards are better

probably best to try with onboard graphics to see how you get on, you can always get an AMD card in the future if needs be

Yes, with Z490 and a 10th generation you can run the system on iGPU (with limited, but real, acceleration by the iGPU, not the VESA driver). So that's saving a dGPU if the iGPU is enough for your needs.
If you go for a dGPU, now or later, AMD is the only real option. Support for all NVIDIA GPU has been dropped in Monterey. I do not advise installing Monterey right now, and, as @Feartech just said, some old NVIDIA GPUs are still supported in Big Sur, but you will likely not stay on Big Sur forever.

The review I've quoted shows that "TDP" is largely marketing speak in the 10th generation: Even "65 W TDP" non-K CPU will go over 200 W under full load—and even burn a few more watts than the K because they are less-efficient bins. But they will get as fast. So you may (presumably: the test was on 10700 but it should apply to 10900 as well) get a 10850K or 10900, whichever comes cheaper, and achieve the same performance as a non-overclocked 10900K. Either way, do not spare on the cooler: Get a good one!

Yes, with Z490 and a 10th generation you can run the system on iGPU (with limited, but real, acceleration by the iGPU, not the VESA driver). So that's saving a dGPU if the iGPU is enough for your needs.
If you go for a dGPU, now or later, AMD is the only real option. Support for all NVIDIA GPU has been dropped in Monterey. I do not advise installing Monterey right now, and, as @Feartech just said, some old NVIDIA GPUs are still supported in Big Sur, but you will likely not stay on Big Sur forever.

The review I've quoted shows that "TDP" is largely marketing speak in the 10th generation: Even "65 W TDP" non-K CPU will go over 200 W under full load—and even burn a few more watts than the K because they are less-efficient bins. But they will get as fast. So you may (presumably: the test was on 10700 but it should apply to 10900 as well) get a 10850K or 10900, whichever comes cheaper, and achieve the same performance as a non-overclocked 10900K. Either way, do not spare on the cooler: Get a good one!
Thank you mate for literally dissecting everything. Everything is clear. Just one last question. What are your thoughts on Arctic Freezer II 360 vs NZXT kraken x73?

probably best to try with onboard graphics to see how you get on, you can always get an AMD card in the future if needs be
Thank you Feartech. I will follow your advice. Your help is much appreciated.

What are your thoughts on Arctic Freezer II 360 vs NZXT kraken x73?
I'll pass on this one, because I haven't touched liquid cooling for the last twelve years. At the moment I got a brown/beige addiction and just put Noctua coolers and fans everywhere (a NH-U14S or NH-D15 would do for your class of build, I guess).
It looks you're in good territory with either option for a 360 mm AIO anyway.

For peace of mind, the best advice would be to go for Z490 and 10th generation CPU. If you do find a (now-unobtainium) Z490 Vision D, definitively go for it!
Z590 has lots of issues and definitively cannot output display through iGPU.

I agree with this post. I made the same decision a few months back and purchased a Asus Z490-I Gaming.
No regrets at all. 99% works like a real Mac. Basically everything just works. I have very few kexts and a vanilla install.

I'll pass on this one, because I haven't touched liquid cooling for the last twelve years. At the moment I got a brown/beige addiction and just put Noctua coolers and fans everywhere (a NH-U14S or NH-D15 would do for your class of build, I guess).
It looks you're in good territory with either option for a 360 mm AIO anyway.
I like Noctua fans but I think I will go for AIO this time. Thank you etorix.

I agree with this post. I made the same decision a few months back and purchased a Asus Z490-I Gaming.
No regrets at all. 99% works like a real Mac. Basically everything just works. I have very few kexts and a vanilla install.
Thanks for your reply. Happy that you got it working. Did you use dGPU or integrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back