Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everybody!

It's time for a new build and I need your advice as to what I should be buying.

I pretty much followed the Buyer's Guide that can be found on here but wanted to ask if there are some better options by now.

It's going to be used as an audio computer in a recording studio if that's of any importance.

These are the items I want to buy:

- i9-9900K (does it make sense to go for 10th gen?)
- Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Gaming Mainboard
- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS4K16G4D32AESC 3200 MHz, DDR4
- Sapphire RADEON RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PULSE (is there a better option if I want to do video editing from time to time?)
- Corsair RMx Series RM650x PSU

Well, these are the parts that a crucial to the performance of the system. Is everything fine regarding compatibility?
I tend to use things that are compatible out of box.

If there is a better option for any of those party (or if I forgot anything) I'd be happy for your help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had the Sapphire RADEON RX 580 8GB in a video editing rig. It never worked right and was much slower than a Nvidia 970 I was using with High Sierra. Also in my YEARS of building, I generally find ATI 2D superior to nVidia. But the Nvidia 970 was better than the RADEON RX 580 in my opinion.
I replaced the Sapphire RADEON RX 580 with a Giga RX 5700XT and its MUCH better than the 580 and 970.

Hey everybody!

I pretty much followed the Buyer's Guide that can be found on here but wanted to ask if there are some better options by now.

It's going to be used as an audio computer in a recording studio if that's of any importance.

- Sapphire RADEON RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PULSE (is there a better option if I want to do video editing from time to time?)

Well, these are the parts that a crucial to the performance of the system. Is everything fine regarding compatibility?

If there is a better option for any of those party (or if I forgot anything) I'd be happy for your help.

Thanks in advance.

As said before the RX 5700 XT should be much better than the RX 580 in your case. But note that you have to run Catalina or later if you want to use this card. Are you fine with that? Do you need to use any applications that will not run on Catalina (meaning 32 bit apps)?

Otherwise the build is compatible with MacOS Catalina (RX 580 / RX 5700 XT) or Mojave (RX 580 only).

If you want to use the new 10th generation CPUs and the corresponding Z490 motherboards, you can also do that (Apple has just released a new 27" iMac that use 10th generation hardware so we can be sure they are supported.) but they are supported only on MacOS Catalina. Personally I think the 10th generation CPUs does not offer any significant advantages over the corresponding 9th generation CPUs, unless you choose the 10 core i9 10900K (for which there is no corresponding part on the 9th generation).

I am pretty sure the 9900K should work well for you.

Last edited:
Hey everybody!

Thanks in advance.

It might be easier to find a Z490 then a Z390 motherboard also 10700k CPU is about 100 cheaper it is 8 cores 16 threads like the 9900k. The 10700k also has a slightly higher clock speed.

Okay, thanks so far. That helps me a lot.

I've heard from a couple of people now that the 580 is a nogo.
So I think I will end up with the 5500 as it fits my budget better than the 5700

Regarding RAM: Is the HyperX Fury 3600MHz DDR4 CL17 an option?
I have HyperX Beast in my current build and I am very happy with them.

The CPU is giong to be an Intel Core i9-1090X X-Serie Prozessor 14 Kerne @ 3.3 GHz
Or is it over the top and the 10-Core 10900X is enough?

For the PSU I'm tending to buy the be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 850W Gold but actually I can't find it on sale anywhere. Are there good alternatives? Fanless perhaps?

Oh, one more thing: Is there a good solution for Thunderbolt 3?

Okay, thanks so far. That helps me a lot.

I've heard from a couple of people now that the 580 is a nogo.
So I think I will end up with the 5500 as it fits my budget better than the 5700

Regarding RAM: Is the HyperX Fury 3600MHz DDR4 CL17 an option?
I have HyperX Beast in my current build and I am very happy with them.

The CPU is giong to be an Intel Core i9-1090X X-Serie Prozessor 14 Kerne @ 3.3 GHz
Or is it over the top and the 10-Core 10900X is enough?

For the PSU I'm tending to buy the be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 850W Gold but actually I can't find it on sale anywhere. Are there good alternatives? Fanless perhaps?

Oh, one more thing: Is there a good solution for Thunderbolt 3?

You want a 14 core Core i9 10940X? That CPU requires a X299 motherboard, and you should expect more difficulties in setting up MacOS as it is not natively supported.

Thunderbolt 3 will require that either the motherboard itself has the hardware (e.g. Z390 Designare / Z490 Vision D / X299 Designare EX) or the motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card connector through which you can connect a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge.

I have a Corsair 1000W PSU it is Overkill for me but that was the point as the fan will only turn on when needed. I am not sure at what point it is needed but I do not think the fan ever turns on.

Hey guys,

thank you all for your input.

I went for the following hardware now:

CPU: 10900K
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus II Hero
RAM: 64 GB HyperX Fury 3600 MHz
GPU: ASUS RX5600 XT
Cooler: Arctic Liquid 360
Extra: Titan Ridge Extension Card for TB3 and USB C
PSU: 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold

Do you think I might be happy with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back