Contribute
Register

Need Advice on Which RX Vega Graphics Card To Get for HS & Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
This marginally improved the contrast over just using the standard Apple RGB profile though mostly it looks brighter. I did check the image that I first noticed the difference in the display from HDMI to DP and it appears that it looks the same at least contrast wise from HDMI to DP now so that is a plus. However, I still think the HDMI looks diffirent and looks to be more green while the DisplayPort is more blue.

Can the green and blue be adjusted on the monitor?

Can the green and blue be adjusted on the monitor?

Yea I have tried that before I just use two display ports and they look the same. I got the XFX because well it was one of the cards apple recommended it should arrive Wednesday. And since the side of my case is already off it should take less then 5 mins to install it.

I found that MacPro 6,1 works the best for me for a lot of reasons. After it was stable for a while I added some ssdt files that @Pavo made and those gave me HEVC without IGPU enabled but I do not do video editing. I ended up picking up the XFX because it is a 64 instead of a 56 and it is recommended by apple.

I know you are not asking for help but you should fill out your profile with your Hacks details.
Thanks, I've have added some information now. I made some progress by enabling my IGPU (HD4600) as headless (through ig-platform-id). Final Cut X works great now but the fans are still weird. They start out silent until I export something and they spin up. All fine so far but after the export is done they never turn down again. Only going to sleep and waking up again makes they quite again. I'm currently using iMac 15,1 as it's the closest to my actual CPU but may try MacPro 6,1 as you said. What ssdt did you add for HEVC support?

Last edited:
The fans don't just run a little faster, they run a lot faster. The noise can get quite annoying very quickly. Also, I imagine that the amount of wear on the fan would be massively accelerated when they run so fast all the time.

This is just my guess and opinion, but I feel that the further you deviate away from reference, the less compatible a card becomes. Non-standard port configurations may need frame buffer edits. Also, with macOS, I alway feel like it's easier to use an adaptor to convert DispayPort to something else than the other way around.

Hi @pastrychef,

Me again! So I'm in the process of making a new build for my company and wonder what VEGA's would be most compatible for OSX Mojave. I want to install DUAL VEGA 64 (2 x cards). I was looking at 2 x Sapphire Nitro+ 8gb. Would these be the most compatible or would you recommend alternative cards?

Many Thanks,

Alex

Hi @pastrychef,

Me again! So I'm in the process of making a new build for my company and wonder what VEGA's would be most compatible for OSX Mojave. I want to install DUAL VEGA 64 (2 x cards). I was looking at 2 x Sapphire Nitro+ 8gb. Would these be the most compatible or would you recommend alternative cards?

Many Thanks,

Alex

Honestly, I haven't really kept track of which specific models of Vega cards works well. There are just too many variations...

All I know is that reference models all work and fans can be controlled via the VGTab utility.

Hello. I can see that in your profiles you use a RX vega 56. Does it work oob in Mojave? thanks.
I just want to buy the sapphire rx vega 56 nitro+. Maybe someone has experience with this card.

Hello. I can see that in your profiles you use a RX vega 56. Does it work oob in Mojave? thanks.
I just want to buy the sapphire rx vega 56 nitro+. Maybe someone has experience with this card.

Mine works fine. It's an MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost. I just need a kext to prevent the fan from running too fast.

I'm not sure about the Nitro+.

Mine works fine. It's an MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost. I just need a kext to prevent the fan from running too fast.

I'm not sure about the Nitro+.
thank you. I decided to buy 1080ti and to make a downgrade to High Sierra. For now, my hack works perfectly.
And of course, thank you for help for any stupid question in others treads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back