Contribute
Register

Need advice on which bootloader to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU
i73770k
Graphics
Asus strix GeForce GTX 1060
Hi All,

I have made a quad boot system with Mountain Lion / Win 7 / Ubuntu 15.4 & SteamOS and so far everything is working exactly how I would like. I put each OS on a separate drive and configured them as I needed and they all work great but now I want a nice graphical bootloader that I can config easy enough and it has to see all my drives.

I currently have Burg loading from Ubuntu drive but the resolution is all wrong (I know there's a fix but checking for alternative loader first) and it shows more than the 4 disks I want to boot. I will also be adding Win10 to the setup in the near future. I tried Chimera but it didn't see the Ubuntu or SteamOS drives so I changed to Burg but I got errors trying to download or install burg manager and I haven't been able to configure it to only see each OS etc.

Can anyone recommend the best loader that will work so that I can theme it if possible or at least install themes and with the ability to hide or show drives / partitions. I would really like to be able to edit theme graphics myself so I can make a nice Steam OS image and Windows 10 in the near future instead of having the Windows or Linux image for both win 7 /10 or Ubuntu / Steam.

(My system is as follows)

Intel i7 3770k, Asus P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3, 16GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX660

Drive 1 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (Windows 7)

Drive 2 : SK hynix HFS 256GG (Mountain Lion)

Drive 3 : Seagate 2TB SHDD (Steam OS)

Drive 4: WD Green 1TB HDD (Ubuntu 15.4)

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated...Thanks

Hi All,

I have made a quad boot system with Mountain Lion / Win 7 / Ubuntu 15.4 & SteamOS and so far everything is working exactly how I would like. I put each OS on a separate drive and configured them as I needed and they all work great but now I want a nice graphical bootloader that I can config easy enough and it has to see all my drives.

I currently have Burg loading from Ubuntu drive but the resolution is all wrong (I know there's a fix but checking for alternative loader first) and it shows more than the 4 disks I want to boot. I will also be adding Win10 to the setup in the near future. I tried Chimera but it didn't see the Ubuntu or SteamOS drives so I changed to Burg but I got errors trying to download or install burg manager and I haven't been able to configure it to only see each OS etc.

Can anyone recommend the best loader that will work so that I can theme it if possible or at least install themes and with the ability to hide or show drives / partitions. I would really like to be able to edit theme graphics myself so I can make a nice Steam OS image and Windows 10 in the near future instead of having the Windows or Linux image for both win 7 /10 or Ubuntu / Steam.

(My system is as follows)

Intel i7 3770k, Asus P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3, 16GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX660

Drive 1 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (Windows 7)

Drive 2 : SK hynix HFS 256GG (Mountain Lion)

Drive 3 : Seagate 2TB SHDD (Steam OS)

Drive 4: WD Green 1TB HDD (Ubuntu 15.4)

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated...Thanks
Clover will do what you want but do some research first and create yourself a USB test drive booter and use it before installing Clover to your OS X drive
http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html

Use the basic config.plist from the end of the Clover Guide to start with - config.plist-Standard.zip

Using the test drive USB allows you to play around with config files without destroying the integrity of your existing boot system.

I got a nice boot screen using (Burg) on Grub2 installed on the Ubuntu drive but I can't for the life of me get it to boot to my Hackintosh drive or SteamOS. Windows and Ubuntu work fine and I tried everything including chainloading into Chameleon with no luck.

I'm going to try setup Clover on USB tonight as you suggest and hopefully I can get it going.

Thanks for the advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back