Contribute
Register

Need advice about updating my Audio-Production System!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 7
CPU
Intel I7
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everybody! I would appreciate some help about the following situation.

I use my Hackintosh for Audio production/recording, that means, using A LOT of that kind of software: ProTools, Kontakt Libraries, and many virtual instruments and plugins. Im currently running Mavericks 10.9.5 and everything is working fine, but Im feeling my system is starting to "be old" regarding new versions of certain software that isnt compatible with my system. So Im thinking about updating my system to Sierra or High Sierra.

First, what do you think about updating with this hardware setup?

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
Core Intel i7 4790 Haswell
16 GB DDR3 (2x 8192MB) 1866 MHZ KINGSTON HYPER X FURY240GB Kingston v400 (Mac OS - Apps)
1 TB Caviar Blue (Storage)
2 TB Caviar Black (Storage)
1TB SSD (Storage)

On the other hand what I would REALLY like is to update my system without having to Re Install and Organize all my stuff from zero, because you know that takes many many time that i would like to avoid that situation. Whats the best option in this scenario? Can I update to a newer OS and then try to recover all my software/configuration from my actual setup?

Thanks in advance to everybody that can help me with this!
Leo.

Hi Leo,

I am running High sierra DAW and I can say before you do anything BACKUP YOUR TOTAL CURRENT SYSTEM with eg Carbon Copy Cloner to an externaL HD. This way IF you decide to upgrade and it is not working out for you, you can always revert to a fully working system. And also do not try to upgrade if you are in the middle of an project. It will be a freaking pain in your behind for sure...

Also I have upgraded my system in the past from el capitan to sierra and now (since today) to High Sierra. It works fine but there is a catch... Not all of my plugins are working correctly or at least my fist impression is that they tend to suck up a lot more of my CPU power then they did in Sierra. (EG BX plugs) so i will probably need to look for alternatives that do work fine with High Sierra

All of my favorite plugins (eg kontakt, massive, soundtoys 5 and omnisphere) are compatible and work just fine :)

Also keep in mind that High Sierra converts your SSD to AFPS and that can mess with your plugins. You can stay on HFS by a command but this can only be used for an upgrade NOT a fresh install

And the best approach imho is to upgrade to the OS of your choice over your current system. This way you keep your apps, settings, files etc. But if you have issues with your current system a Fresh install might be the best solution

Good luck and be wise in your choice here :)

cheers Maik

Last edited:
Hi Maik! First, thanks a lot for your answer and useful info!

Of course, before doing anything I will clonate my system drive (all the other drives are just storage drives) so if everything goes wrong, I can go back and continue working, hehe.

Maybe for the moment the best option would be updating to Sierra and not to High Sierra? You know just talking about compatibility and stability of my current setup.

So, do you think its better to try to install Sierra above my current system and see if everything works instead of a clean install?

My biggest concern (regarding the time and energy needed) about a fresh install is to know if there is a way to "migrate" (with migration assistance or Time Machine maybe) all my current software/plugins etc. You know just thinking about re-loading all my kontakt librares and installing everything again freaks me out... hehe.

I will appreciate any other help/advice here!
Thanks!!
Leo.

So, do you think its better to try to install Sierra above my current system and see if everything works instead of a clean install?

If you do not whish to re-install all of your software and plugins then yes, you should upgrade your current system.

So to go short:
1) "Easy" way => upgrade to Sierra. My guess is that most plugins will work in Sierra and less in High sierra.
2) "Time consuming but clean way" => install a fresh version on your current system (format Mac HD drive) and re-install all of your apps and plugins. Be aware that you need to reinstall all of your apps and plugins because time machine does not cover the migration/installation of your musical apps and plugs to yur new OS. You could try but I bet you run in a lot of problems (not to mention additional frustrations) if you expect that migration will work.
3) Buy a new system and install everything at your on pace. After completion you can transfer your other disks to the new system and keep mavericks as your slave/fallback system.

If I had to choose I would first go for option 1 and after a couple of months I would execute option 3 and buy a new up to date (intel coffee lake) system and reinstall everything :)

Cheers Maik.

Thanks again Maik! I really think you are right about that!

My first option will be upgrading to Sierra with my current setup and see if everything works (of course doing a clone of my system before that).
And then in the future think about a whole new Hack. The thing is that this system is only 1 year old, so Im planning in keeping it for at least one or two years more.

Final question, cause Ive never done any updates in my hacks. I just need to get Sierra installer and run it, install and reboot? Or i need to do it from a USB or following some specific procedure? I need some guidance on that.

Thanks!!
L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back