Need a new graphics card

• Thread starter Deleted member 2331826
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2331826

Hey guys,

since my old graphics card seems to be broken, I need a new one. My System is fairly old so I don't want to spend too much on it yet.

current system
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Graphic card: Radeon HD 7850
CPU: i7-3770K

It shouldn't cost more than € 300. So I was thinking about getting this one:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6GD

Have you made any experiences with it ? Is it compatible with my current system?
Does it work without problems on the Hackintosh?
Do I need to reinstall my system after installing the graphics card ?

Thank you very much.

Hey guys,

since my old graphics card seems to be broken, I need a new one. My System is fairly old so I don't want to spend too much on it yet.

current system
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Graphic card: Radeon HD 7850
CPU: i7-3770K

It shouldn't cost more than € 300. So I was thinking about getting this one:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6GD

Have you made any experiences with it ? Is it compatible with my current system?
Does it work without problems on the Hackintosh?
Do I need to reinstall my system after installing the graphics card ?

Thank you very much.

Nivida support was stopped as of High Sierra, and the 1660 is not included in the last set of web drivers released.

Depending on what OS you are currently running. If you are running Mojave or High Sierra you could get Radeon RX560, 570, or 580. If you are running the latest Catalina at least 10.15.2 you can get Navi AMD card like the 5500 XT in addition to the RX560, 570, 580. If you are running an older OS I am not sure what cards will work for you.

You should not need to reinstall your system after a change to the GPU unless your OS does not support the new card.

Hey thank you for your answer!

I didn't know that NVIDIA support is not working anymore. So NVIDIA users can't use High Sierra anymore?

Can I use the RX560 for gaming too? Is it good for it?

Can I run Catalina on the RX560 or what do you mean with Navi AMD?

Hey thank you for your answer!

I didn't know that NVIDIA support is not working anymore. So NVIDIA users can't use High Sierra anymore?

Can I use the RX560 for gaming too? Is it good for it?

Can I run Catalina on the RX560 or what do you mean with Navi AMD?

Not the new Nvidia cards.

RX560 can be used for lower end games and yes it can run on Catalina. Navi is the new kind of AMD card the 5500xt 5700xt and the likes.

What about the Vega 56 or Vega 64? It's probably more expensive but would it work too? Are the Navi cards similar to the Vega? Sorry for the stupid questions!

Also: Do all the cards work with my current mainboard / general system?

I also have a question about new graphic cards.
I built my hack a few years ago, OSX Sierra, and was planning to upgrade the OS only to discover that my Nvidia GTX 1060 is no longer supported. I plan on only upgrading as far as Mojave because I still need FireWire support.

I've looked up the recommend cards but want to double check if the ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT is a wise choice?

I also have a question about new graphic cards.
I built my hack a few years ago, OSX Sierra, and was planning to upgrade the OS only to discover that my Nvidia GTX 1060 is no longer supported. I plan on only upgrading as far as Mojave because I still need FireWire support.

I've looked up the recommend cards but want to double check if the ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT is a wise choice?
No there are no drivers in Mojave for the 5500xt need Catalina 15.2 min. Rx580, Vega, or VII will work in Mojave

No there are no drivers in Mojave for the 5500xt need Catalina 15.2 min. Rx580, Vega, or VII will work in Mojave

Blast!
Really wish they didn't give up support for firewire... Plus I'm a Pro Tools user which is still not fully compatible with Catalina.

Thanks for the info of the graphics card, much appreciated.

Blast!
Really wish they didn't give up support for firewire... Plus I'm a Pro Tools user which is still not fully compatible with Catalina.

Thanks for the info of the graphics card, much appreciated.

Pro tools is a different problem, but as far as I can tell with Catalina you can no longer boot from a Firewire drive. Otherwise it should still work unless the software is 32 bit.

After a bit of research I’ve been eyeing the Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 as my replacement. Anything I should be aware of or watch out for with this one? Ideally it’d be a fairly quiet card (I do work in audio) but I am also on a budget... this seem like it might be pretty good.

Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP OC Graphic Cards
https://www.newegg.ca/product/9SIADGEAWZ9429?m_ver=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back