Contribute
Register

Need a new graphic card for my Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard (updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,
I posted a thread last year but graphic cards were so expensive, I decided to postpone my purchase.
To put it simply, I need a new graphic card for my Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard that will support 3440 x 1440 monitor resolution, for a minimum price...
I also need to update to macOS Big Sur in order to run Cubase Pro 12.
Could you guys please advise me on an affordable graphic card?
Moreover, do you believe there could be some incompatibility between Big Sur and the rest of my configuration?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (4.0 GHz)
RAM: DDR3 Ballistix Sport XT, 4 x 8 Go, 1600 MHz, CAS 9
Current graphic card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC, 2 Go
2 HDD: Seagate Desktop SSHD, 1 To et Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2 To
1 SSD: Crucial BX200, 240 Go, SATA III
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Blue LED
Fan: Cooler Master B700 v2, 700W

Thanks to you all
Jean-Michel

RX 6600 should be reasonably priced now, but requires Monterey 12.1 (or higher).
RX 6800 works with Big Sur, but may not fit the "affordable" criteria and looks like overkill for audio.
If you're stuck on Big Sur, options are then RX 5500/5600/5700 (second hand or stock clearance), Vega (another overkill) or good old Polaris (RX 560-590).

Thanks a lot, @Edhawk :)
And thanks to you all for this amazing website

@dziny I found a Gigabyte RX6600 Eagle-8GD for around $350, which I find acceptable. Sadly, it does not seem to be compatible with my motherboard. I suppose because of the PCI version (4 for the GPU, 3 for the motherboard). Anyway, I ordered a second hand GT-740 for $30, so fingers crossed :)
Thanks for your comment

Maybe I missed something, I really don't know much about these matters :roll2:

The PCIe 4.0 RX 6000 card should work in any PCIe 3.0 slot, as it is backwards compatible with the older standard. You may not get the full benefit of the newer card (slight performance drop with PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0) but it should definitely work on your Haswell 9-series motherboard.
  • Did you make sure the GPU was installed in the top PCIe x16 slot with the correct power provided and fully connected?
  • Your PSU needs to provide a minimum of 450W.
  • Your Nvidia GTX750 Ti (60W) has a smaller power draw then the RX6600 (TGP 132W), so you need to make sure your system can provide the necessary power to run the new dGPU via the 1 x 8-pin power connector.
What exactly happened when you installed the RX6600?
  1. Which display out connector DP or HDMI, did you use?
  2. Did you use an adapter or adapter cable to connect your display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back