Contribute
Register

NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 firmware upgrade for DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know what you mean. I tested the USB3.0 solution in MultiBeast for my NEC/Renesas adaptor and cannot for the life of me figure out why that solution has replaced the modified Lacie PXHCD kext from previous versions of MB :crazy:. Not only does it not work at all, but it also disables sleep. Removed the 3 kexts MB installed and went back to the single PXHCD kext, and USB3.0 is happy :clap: again. One of the reasons I do not rely on MultiBeast. It's too hit and miss sometimes... but I always like to try new solutions anyway in case one becomes outdated. The PXHCD kext provides solid USB3.0 performance on my system.

My main machine uses the NEC/Renesas chipset, my HTPC the Etron EJ168. The former works with PXHCD.kext, the latter with the newer two-kext solution. No idea why exactly that is.
I wouldn't say MultiBeast is hit-and-miss in general; people just have to do some research which chipsets are used on their boards.

Suppose you are right. I had just spent like forever trying to help someone get sleep working after using MultiBeast. Only after he sent me a list of kexts listed by date craeted did I realise he had used the MultiBeast 5 USB3.0 solution. It never occured to him to mention it as he had also installed the PXHCD kext too which he found elsewhere and thought that may have been the issue. It gets frustrating helping someone when all they can say is 'everything worked fine until I installed MultiBeast.' and you are left guessing what they put a tick next to. I am just old school... I realize MB was conceived to make life simpler for those who have little knowledge of the hackintosh scene, but I think it suits those with more knowledge more so than the newcomers. There is nothing like finding individual kext solutions and settings yourself to teach a person what is needed and what is not and what they actually do. Most newcomers still see all kexts as drivers in the Windows sense of the word.

Oooops! I just noticed my profile says Geek in Training. :silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back