CPU
4770K @ 4.1 GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 770 2GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, after months of deliberation, I think I am nearly ready to hit the order button.

A little background

• Dual boot system - Mavericks OSX and Windows 8.1
  • Used for - Audio workstation (OSX) and Gaming (Win 8)
  • Being built in a G5 case (already bought a conversion kit from thelaserhive)

A few last minute questions

1. AMD 280x or nVidia 770 GTX? I know I get a little more FPS with the 280x, but am likely to have more stability under OSX with nVidia right? What are your opinions?
  2. If I decided to add another GFX card, for SLI, would 660w be enough? Or am I looking for something in the 700's?
  3. Is there a better option now for the CPU cooler? I looked into coolers about 3 months ago, so I'm a little out of touch. I need as quiet as possible as it's an audio workstation rig.
  4. Any suggestions for monitors would be nice as well, currently looking at 2x Dell Ultrasharp 24" or a Dell Ultrasharp 29"

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
PSU: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks for reading! I look forward to reading your replies.

I have changed a few of the parts, hope someone can have a look over them for me!

Thanks

CPU
: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£245.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£73.74 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£148.00 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Kingston Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£116.16 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£68.88 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£68.88 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£81.59 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£255.00 @ Amazon UK)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.98 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£138.91 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £1223.13

All looks good to go. Should perform very nicely with a moderate overclock. :thumbup:

I thought 760W would suffice providing the PSU was good quality? (which it is) I could be wrong though...

I have changed a few of the parts, hope someone can have a look over them for me!

Thanks

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£255.00 @ Amazon UK)...

There is a 4GB version of that Graphics Card (if that interests you). It seems the GTX770 with 4GB VRAM is compatible with OS X... more than one user has it in their build and has stated it worked out of the box, without any problems (the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB card).

Here's a Newegg link for the ASUS GTX 770 4GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121837

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC4GD5/

Why such a big PSU? I use a 400w SeaSonic and don't even use all that.

I was told I would need at least 750W head-room for possible SLI'ing in the future? Is this not so?

Thanks!

There is a 4GB version of that Graphics Card (if that interests you). It seems the GTX770 with 4GB VRAM is compatible with OS X... more than one user has it in their build and has stated it worked out of the box, without any problems (the Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB card).

Here's a Newegg link for the ASUS GTX 770 4GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121837

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC4GD5/

The 2GB should be ample for me thanks! And I think it works fine with Mavericks? Also the 4GB Asus card doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

I was told I would need at least 750W head-room for possible SLI'ing in the future? Is this not so?

Thanks!

The 2GB should be ample for me thanks! And I think it works fine with Mavericks? Also the 4GB Asus card doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

True, you would need enough wattage in order to SLI, cant go wrong with a larger PSU but you could end up with not enough. Each graphics card specifies the minimum required watts - go to the manufacturers webpage and read the specs.

There are other brands that offer the GTX770 4GB card (fyi) - EVGA (several models - "classified" being the fastest), MSI (almost factory overclocked as fast as EVGA Classified), Palatine, Gigabyte, ASUS. I only mention that because you said the ASUS 4gb card was not avail in the UK. If you dont need 4gb VRAM however, then you dont need it!

True, you would need enough wattage in order to SLI, cant go wrong with a larger PSU but you could end up with not enough. Each graphics card specifies the minimum required watts - go to the manufacturers webpage and read the specs.

There are other brands that offer the GTX770 4GB card (fyi) - EVGA (several models - "classified" being the fastest), MSI (almost factory overclocked as fast as EVGA Classified), Palatine, Gigabyte, ASUS. I only mention that because you said the ASUS 4gb card was not avail in the UK. If you dont need 4gb VRAM however, then you dont need it!

I think 2GB should be fine, especially if I end up SLI'ing. Yeah when I calculate the Wattage needed with SLI it gives a minumum of 630W but recommended 680W so 760W should cover me.

Also I have decided on getting 2 24" LG IPS monitors on a VESA mount

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BSOT2LA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back