i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So over the last 5 hours I've started to have an issue seemingly out of nowhere. My system just out of nowhere freezes up. The mouse glitches out and then the system requires a hard reboot. I've had similar issues when I first went to Catalina but nothing since. Based on reading other forums, I'm guessing it's an issue with my RX 5700 XT. I have the Sapphire Nitro version. I'm using it right now with no issue, but who knows when it'll freeze up again. (side note -- froze while typing this.)

I've tried adding the Radeon SSDT and following other forums. No luck. EFI is attached. Running SMBIOS at iMacPro1,1.

Desperate for help. I do have a RX580 I can throw in, but I really would prefer to use my navi card since I also use it for gaming in Windows.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.3 MB · Views: 68
Working right now, but still want to bump given how unstable it seems to be.

Working right now, but still want to bump given how unstable it seems to be.

Try the following:
Ge rid of:
SSDT-RX 5700 XT-Version 1.0.aml
DAGPM.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext

Apply one of the proper USB fixes.
Move "agdpmod=pikera" to be first argument.

Edit:
Also, disable any and all overclocks including XMP when testing for stability.

Last edited:
Try the following:
Ge rid of:
SSDT-RX 5700 XT-Version 1.0.aml
DAGPM.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext

Apply one of the proper USB fixes.
Move "agdpmod=pikera" to be first argument.

Edit:
Also, disable any and all overclocks including XMP when testing for stability.
I'll try this first thing tomorrow after work. Thanks!

@pastrychef
Okay, so here's where I am after two days of using this.

Everything done that you suggested including turning off XMP.

Yesterday -- Absolutely ZERO issues. Worked flawlessly for about 5 hours.

Tonight -- Different freezing than a couple of nights ago, but still doing it. Now, while working in premiere it'll let my mouse still move but everything else is frozen. It just sits there in limbo, other than my mouse. XMP is still turned off btw. Any further ideas? I was hoping 10.15.5 might help, but doesn't seem to be such luck.

@pastrychef
Okay, so here's where I am after two days of using this.

Everything done that you suggested including turning off XMP.

Yesterday -- Absolutely ZERO issues. Worked flawlessly for about 5 hours.

Tonight -- Different freezing than a couple of nights ago, but still doing it. Now, while working in premiere it'll let my mouse still move but everything else is frozen. It just sits there in limbo, other than my mouse. XMP is still turned off btw. Any further ideas? I was hoping 10.15.5 might help, but doesn't seem to be such luck.

Is Premiere the only thing freezing? Are you able switch to a different app or Finder? If you reset when it freezes, is there a kernel panic log on reboot?

Is Premiere the only thing freezing? Are you able switch to a different app or Finder? If you reset when it freezes, is there a kernel panic log on reboot?
I'm sorry for the delay, I didn't even see this. No Premiere is not the only thing. It'll even freeze just sitting idle or watching YouTube.

To the kernel panic log -- there's nothing. It boots like nothing ever happened.

Last edited:
I mostly just don’t get how inconsistent it is. One day I’ll have zero issues, then the next day I can’t stop it from crashing non-stop. Pretty weird and hard to troubleshoot.

I mostly just don’t get how inconsistent it is. One day I’ll have zero issues, then the next day I can’t stop it from crashing non-stop. Pretty weird and hard to troubleshoot.

That makes it really hard to troubleshoot... Maybe try pulling the 5700 XT and try running on just IGPU for a few days to see how stability is...

That makes it really hard to troubleshoot... Maybe try pulling the 5700 XT and try running on just IGPU for a few days to see how stability is...
I know, right? I’ve considered doing a clean install of the whole system again, but given my workload right now just not feasible at the moment. I’m also starting to wonder if it’s a motherboard issue, because I use to have similar issues with my 5700, but it seemed to “magically” fix itself. 390 prime isn’t exactly the strongest board.

I’ve also got a RX570 I can throw in there to try out. I know it runs, but I’ve never ran it long enough to check stability with it. I’ll try both of the next few days to see what happens. Thanks for the help as always, I’ll report back if anything else develops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back