Contribute
Register

Name the Next macOS (14.0)

Possible but not expected. There's still no Apple Si Mac Pro for sale and it's not going to be shown at WWDC. At least according to all the leakers.
I think they will show a new Mac Pro with AS. That will start the count-down. The have the catch phrase of "A new era begins"

Another 2-3 years worth, on the the basis you can still buy Intel Mac Pros .
Unless they announce it's the last to support or does not at all (provocative.)

They have the catch phrase of "A new era begins"
The AR/VR headset is what they're most likely referring to. The Apple Si event was back in November of 2020 so that era started 2.5 years ago. We already have leaks this detailed about the AR/VR Headset. All signs of a new AR/VR Era. Will it be as big or important as the 2007 iPhone event ? Probably not. It won't ever sell as many units as the iPhone does. Most everyone in developed countries can buy a new or used iPhone. A $3,000 headset ???

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Last edited:
Unless they announce it's the last to support or does not at all (provocative.)
Apple wouldn't look very good if they just sold an Intel Mac Pro then dropped support for it!. I just don't see that happening.

What does Sonoma mean ?

Sonoma is of Native American origin meaning “valley of the moon.” The name of beautiful Sonoma County in California, known for its vineyards and wineries, it’s said to derive from the Miwok and Pomo tribes. Conjuring up beautiful images of a full moon shining over the valley.

eKkiMrffUtpKwMfFakcfr3-1200-80.jpg
That's an apt choice. I was going to suggest Carmel as its both a beautiful seaside town and an equally beautiful beach next to Monterey (and it has the distinction of having Clint Eastwood as its mayor years ago). It's been my favorite since my mom took my sister and I there after having moved us to the Bay Area when I was 5. Sadly, too many people will confuse it with the candy "caramel" and mispronounce it thusly.

If Apple really wanted to throw everyone off, they could call it Pittsburg. Yes, there is a city called that in California.
They don't keep the h on the end like Pittsburgh PA.

View attachment 567327
Next door to Antioch - NOT of the Holy Hand Grenade infamy. LOL.

To help narrow down the choices.

It won't be Shasta, that's already the name of a brand of carbonated soda in the US.

91gVomoavlL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Redtail is the name of a hawk so that doesn't fit. Grizzly is a bear, so same scenario. Add Condor to that list.

Some of the Apple trademarked names just sound weird or are difficult to pronounce for those not familiar with CA:

Rincon, Farallon, Miramar, Tiburon etc.

That improves the odds by narrowing it down to 8 possible names for the next macOS.

If you want much better odds, I'd say it really comes down to 3 of the 15 choices.
  • Sonoma
  • Redwood
  • Mammoth
We've been on the Pacific coastline for the last 4 macOS versions.
  • Catalina
  • Big Sur
  • Monterey
  • Ventura
That's why Pacific is out as a macOS 14 candidate.

Moving inland, that gives us the three listed above as the favorites. Skyline in San Diego is just too urban to make it as the next macOS name.

Last edited:
Is Intel support expected to be deprecated in this next version (14.0)? What do you guys believe?
In that case, it should be called Diablo, for how they bedevil us.

Back