Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77X-UP4-TH
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
GTX 670
I've had kernel panics/freezes that started on my machine around 10.9.2 (thought they could be a coincidence).
They seem to be getting worse.

I've read some stuff about memory, frequency and timings. I've attempted to set them right, but still either get KP on boot, or freeze shortly thereafter.

The white on black is one of a couple of KP's I get on boot. (I think one had a backtrace into nvidia driver, so I pulled my GTX770 and replaced it with an old Radeon 5770, same issues)

I decided to do an erase and reinstall. I had to boot "-x graphicsenabler=no maxmem=2048" to get the installer to run.

And I booted with those same flags the first time around to setup user and run multi beast.

I didn't even get through Multibeast before getting this less descriptive, overlay on desktop style, kernel panic.

Ideas? One of the times recently I was able to boot and seemed everything was fine, I ran 3 passes of Remember, and had no issue. I would have though RAM related would turn up there (or crash).

Hardware:
GA-Z87MX-D3H
i7 4770K
nvidia GTX770 (currently) (ati 5770 no luck either)
32GB Mushkin 1600MHz RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226404) Timings and voltage set by hand. (tried auto and 1600MHz, and I think straight auto 1333MHz but now I cannot remember)

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    920.2 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 63
Further investigation, I tried a different monitor (this one has been a little flickery recently and it was easy to try a different one).

I've set RAM back to auto everything (1333MHz default timings)

I've gotten multibeast installed, but it is still super unreliable. Freezes on login, freezes after login. KP on boot (deadbeef)

At this point, I'm starting to think MLB issue, but I've had it for 6 months or so (things have gone down hill very fast in the last week).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I have ran quite a few tests and have achieved semi-random stability.

Also, statistically significant, booting with -v flag seems to make it much better. But not perfect!

I'm not sure if it is memory, the supposed haswell memory issue, or MLB issue.

Z87X-UD3H arrived today.

Started off pretty well. Didn't have to boot with any kernel flags for install. Had to boot maxmem=4096 to get on actual os and install with multibeast.

However, after a while (normal booting), the computer froze on its own not doing anything. Disable sleep and wake on lan etc. Still freezing.

I'm going to try maxmem=4096 for a while. Probably mess around with some bios stuff since its a new board.

(*note, how fun is it that you can't upgrade the bios on this mobo without windows. The included 'updater' is out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back