Contribute
Register

My super cheap server build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear your progress. Regarding ethernet the 'Lnx2mac' driver is widely accepted to be the best across other B75M builds but I was finding random loss of internet access - other computers were fine, I decided to change the ethernet to the apple drivers and it seems to be OK for me since.

My board is running the original bios, there is an update shown on the Gigabyte website. I thought that I would try the build as was first. Updating the CPU at the end of the summer so figured would update bios at that point.

Alright, tons of good news!
TL;DR Its done, runs amazing and quiet, and is already deployed and happily serving up files to my AppleTV!

I managed to get the Geforce 210 working; I needed PCIRootUID=0 for the card to work, in addition to the usual GE=Yes. The noise from the card doubled the overall output; but the build was barely audible in the first place, so I'm overall happy. Once I get more funds, I'll either go with a passively cooled card, or just go for broke and throw in an i3 with an HD4000.

The CPU still thinks its an i7, but theres no adverse effect from this: Speedstep still works perfectly, and the whole build in a tiny little HTPC case with a single fan only runs 30C. No clue if sleep works; since its a sever, I want it always on. Same goes for USB3, I have some portable USB3 drives, but since I put a nice fat drive inside, I don't need external storage (yet.)

For anyone else curious about trying this with the Celeron's IGPU, it works but takes some fiddling and you have no GPU acceleration and the resolution is stuck at 1024x768. For a server this would most likely have worked, but I was seeing a lot of warning messages hit console.log and didn't want to have to worry about any loss or performance.

On the software side, its running OS X Mountain Lion with Apple's Server.app to provide consolidated management for file sharing and remote management, and also let it function as a Time Machine backup location. I played with Server's App Store caching, but for a home environment, it just made more overhead; a machine on the network goes to download a Mac or IOS App Store app or update, then the server catches this request, downloads the update, then transparently serves it to the client.

I've got all the voodoo set up to where TVShows.app will check for new episodes of shows I subscribe to and download them in Transmission. From there, Hazel runs some folder actiony goodness and if the file is an mkv (the usually are), runs it through iFlicks to remux it to m4v and add metadata. From there, iFlicks imports it into iTunes, trashes the original, and sends a growl notification. I've got growl hooked up to the iOS app Prowl, so the notification from the server hits my iPhone. From there, I can tap the notification to automatically launch Apple's Remote iOS app, which auto connects to my AppleTV, letting me start playing quickly.

Here's a picture of her, already set up in the TV stand, wired up to my gigabit switch, and sitting beside my giant (in comparison) main hack:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tikkbftx8jxl0q9/Photo May 18, 20 09 02.jpg

Ok, fun mystery. The 210 died a while back, so I'd been running on the Celeron's integrated GPU using a combination of GE=No and ripping out the Intel GPU kexts. I finally got around to getting an SSD for this machine, cloned my boot partition on to it and made sure it was bootable just fine. Once it was, I powered the machine off, unplugged it, and swapped the SSD to the SATA3 port the HDD was on before and put the HDD on the SATA2 port the SSD was just on. Nothing changed as far as configuration of the OS or Chimera, but now she won't boot unless I boot into Safe Mode using the -x flag. Its not a major issue since I have an i3-3225 on the way overnighted by Amazon with a Monday delivery, but I really would like to get my media server up and running so I can get some TV watching done this weekend. Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, fun mystery. The 210 died a while back, so I'd been running on the Celeron's integrated GPU using a combination of GE=No and ripping out the Intel GPU kexts. I finally got around to getting an SSD for this machine, cloned my boot partition on to it and made sure it was bootable just fine. Once it was, I powered the machine off, unplugged it, and swapped the SSD to the SATA3 port the HDD was on before and put the HDD on the SATA2 port the SSD was just on. Nothing changed as far as configuration of the OS or Chimera, but now she won't boot unless I boot into Safe Mode using the -x flag. Its not a major issue since I have an i3-3225 on the way overnighted by Amazon with a Monday delivery, but I really would like to get my media server up and running so I can get some TV watching done this weekend. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you reapply Chimera to the cloned drive? If you hit F12 at boot up is the SSD seen as being 'PO'. I did this the other way around I have a HDD that I have been using for playing around with different MultiBeast settings.

What happens if you disconnect the HDD?

Adrian B

Did you reapply Chimera to the cloned drive? If you hit F12 at boot up is the SSD seen as being 'PO'. I did this the other way around I have a HDD that I have been using for playing around with different MultiBeast settings.

What happens if you disconnect the HDD?

Adrian B

Yep, reapplied Chimera (latest standalone version even) to the SSD and have ensured the SSD is in the BIOS boot options as the primary drive. I actually had to reformat the HDD to get it down to a single partition, so I know for a fact its not bootable, and confirmed before moving the drives' SATA ports around that I was in fact booting directly from the new SSD. I've also tried just about every boot flag imaginable with little expectation of success; nothing changed (boot flags, files, etc.) between a working boot and this issue except for the SATA port it was plugged in to. I've also tried disconnecting the HDD to no avail. If its of any assistance, the last message to appear on a -v before the system just stops is "macx_swapon Success," though searching the board and internet as a whole for that hasn't resulted in anything that has even made a dent in the problem. The strange thing is that when this happens, my server shows up on the network as connected and broadcasting its hostname, but nothing else ever shows, like file or screen sharing.

OK, I know from previous chats with you that you are pretty switched on when it comes to computer tech. The only other thing that I can think might have a bearing on it is some SSDs need to have the firmware updated to work with OS X.

Adrian B

OK, I know from previous chats with you that you are pretty switched on when it comes to computer tech. The only other thing that I can think might have a bearing on it is some SSDs need to have the firmware updated to work with OS X.

Adrian B

The thing is, I had the drive booting into OS X just fine, no funny business, before switching the ports. That combined with the fact it boots in safe mode leads me to believe its not the drive itself, otherwise it just wouldn't work. Like I said, its not a super important issue since it gave me the last push I needed to get an i3 for this machine, but its still making for a less than stellar weekend; I needed to catch up on a bunch of shows lol.

EDIT: Another thing to mention; I even pulled out my Unibeast stick and booted successfully into the installer (all that needed was a GE=No). Trying to use the Unibeast stick to boot to the SSD still gets me nowhere, but it stops in a different place, after my audio has been asserted and long after the macs_swapon Success message.

The thing is, I had the drive booting into OS X just fine, no funny business, before switching the ports. That combined with the fact it boots in safe mode leads me to believe its not the drive itself, otherwise it just wouldn't work. Like I said, its not a super important issue since it gave me the last push I needed to get an i3 for this machine, but its still making for a less than stellar weekend; I needed to catch up on a bunch of shows lol.

EDIT: Another thing to mention; I even pulled out my Unibeast stick and booted successfully into the installer (all that needed was a GE=No). Trying to use the Unibeast stick to boot to the SSD still gets me nowhere, but it stops in a different place, after my audio has been asserted and long after the macs_swapon Success message.

Did you repair permissions and rebuild the cache? If it will only boot in safe mode could something be corrupted to cause this problem?

Adrian B

Did you repair permissions and rebuild the cache? If it will only boot in safe mode could something be corrupted to cause this problem?

Adrian B

Repaired permissions, rebuilt cache, even tried ignoring the cache at boot and still nothing. Checking the disk shows its fine as well. I'm going to have to do a reinstall when the i3 gets here anyway to replace the Intel kexts I trashed, so if its corruption, nothing else for me to do really. The odd thing is that everything appears to work in safe mode; the video works (granted its a GE=No boot, so it isn't pretty), networking is fine, all the drives work, etc. The ply issue I have with booting into safe mode until monday is that while networking works, sharing doesn't, so I can't connect to other machines and they can't connect to it, even via iTunes homesharing, which means no TV shows on my AppleTV :(

That sucks, you have my sympathy. These things always seem to happen just when you least need them. Let me know if you find a workaround.

Good luck :thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back