Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, I'm about to pull the trigger on a dirt cheap server build to provide Time Machine/File serving, iTunes Home Sharing, a Transmission server, and a few other odds and ends. Since the uses are going to be very low-impact, I wanted to go with THE cheapest components possible. There are only two parts, one really, that I'm concerned with in regards to compatibility though, so I thought I'd get some crowd wisdom on these:

Ivy Bridge Celeron G1610 (This is the one I'm really concerned about)
GA-B75M-D3H (This one I'm fairly certain of)

I don't really plan on attempting to use the integrated GPU of the Celeron as I have an old GT 210, though I've read it may be possible. I'm really just making sure I won't run into any weirdness going with this CPU.

Thanks!

That CPu is fine - I am using the G2020 - almost bought a G1610, but the difference in price would't pay for lunch, so I went for its bigger brotherView attachment 56118View attachment 56117

A good source of help with the B75M motherboards here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/73712-many-success-builds-ga-b75m-board.html

Good luck and enjoy your build

Sounds great; the reason I'm going with the Celeron 1610 is that its currently around $40-45 on Amazon and honestly, for what I'm going to use it for, I need very little CPU horsepower. Most of these needs are being met with a RaspberryPi, but the features I want most (iTunes Home Sharing and some OS X server features) are the ones I can't use at all since its an ARM box running Linux. Eventually, I'm going to replace the Celeron with an i3 or i5 and gift the build down to either the girlfriend or my mom, so the difference in price between 2020 and 1610 is more important to me personally than the performance one.

I am also using my processor as a stopgap - will go to an i5 later in the year. My build is going into a G3 case - due to back panel lay out and restrains on motherboard size I cannot use a graphics card. Some people have been having problems getting i3 3225 HD4000 graphics working, hence my choice for the i5 - it should also make the build last longer without slowing down as much over the next 6 years or so. Thats my thinking anyway :)

At present my use is mainly internet use only, but using HD4000 would let me stream to apple TV, perhaps some video editing next year. I am quite pleasantly surprised with the speed of my build - budget builds can be surprisingly quick. I rather think you will enjoy your build.

I have been thinking about a Raspberry Pi for something else to tinker with, for now though I have enough to be getting on with.

I am also using my processor as a stopgap - will go to an i5 later in the year. My build is going into a G3 case - due to back panel lay out and restrains on motherboard size I cannot use a graphics card. Some people have been having problems getting i3 3225 HD4000 graphics working, hence my choice for the i5 - it should also make the build last longer without slowing down as much over the next 6 years or so. Thats my thinking anyway :)

At present my use is mainly internet use only, but using HD4000 would let me stream to apple TV, perhaps some video editing next year. I am quite pleasantly surprised with the speed of my build - budget builds can be surprisingly quick. I rather think you will enjoy your build.

I have been thinking about a Raspberry Pi for something else to tinker with, for now though I have enough to be getting on with.

Yeah, once I get a few more bucks, I'm putting in something with an HD4000 to take this from a pure server to the home media master box; serve and playback anything and everything to the AppleTV. Now, I'm actually thinking of going with the B75M-HD3 since its cheaper by a bit and I get some PCI Express 1x slots in the mix too, plus noticing the HTPC case I'm using lacks the 8-pin power connecter the newer D3H rev 1.1 requires.

These are the MultiBeast settings that I am using. I used 5.3.0 for DSDT - Free Installation and the Apple Realtek for ethernet.

I used MultiBeast 5.0.2 for the rear audio -Without DSDT ALC887/888b

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 13.47.47.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-14 at 13.49.04.png

These are the MultiBeast settings that I am using. I used 5.3.0 for DSDT - Free Installation and the Apple Realtek for ethernet.

I used MultiBeast 5.0.2 for the rear audio -Without DSDT ALC887/888b

View attachment 56190View attachment 56191

Awesome, thanks a ton! Ordered my parts this morning and paid $16 just to get next day shipping from Amazon lol. I should have parts in hand tomorrow or Thursday at the latest, and I'm thinking of making a build thread for the hardware along with some of the things I've learned hackintoshing ML Server, since theres not much info out there in regards to doing so. Thank you again for the assistance!

Hi Senseotech,

have you started you build?

I have subscribed to this thread and will keep an eye on progress. If having any problems then post and I will try to help you out.

Adrian B

Hi Senseotech,

have you started you build?

I have subscribed to this thread and will keep an eye on progress. If having any problems then post and I will try to help you out.

Adrian B

Everything but the RAM arrived yesterday, so I've been in a holding pattern til tomorrow when it should arrive. I'm contemplating moving some RAM out of my main hack to at least get the setup process underway today; the software part of this server is proving more complex than the hardware build. Who knew I'd end up learning Applescript to set up an auto-downloader and auto-tagger for TV shows lol.

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on a dirt cheap server build to provide Time Machine/File serving, iTunes Home Sharing, a Transmission server, and a few other odds and ends. Since the uses are going to be very low-impact, I wanted to go with THE cheapest components possible. There are only two parts, one really, that I'm concerned with in regards to compatibility though, so I thought I'd get some crowd wisdom on these:

Ivy Bridge Celeron G1610 (This is the one I'm really concerned about)
GA-B75M-D3H (This one I'm fairly certain of)

I don't really plan on attempting to use the integrated GPU of the Celeron as I have an old GT 210, though I've read it may be possible. I'm really just making sure I won't run into any weirdness going with this CPU.

Thanks!

The G1610 is a great value CPU. Since it's ivy bridge it will work fine for your server running OS X
I've got the G2020 in an HTPC build and it runs like a dream. :thumbup: The 1610 is the same chip but
at a .3GHz slower speed. 2.6 as compared to 2.9 for the G2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back