i7-3770s
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So here it goes!

I have an INSANE amount of movies. 1.8 tb's worth actually.. at the moment, prior to this modification i had TWO, 1 tb hard drives in my 4530s(i utilized a 2nd bay for the CD drive). it was getting quite annoying having half my movies on one drive, and half on the other.. If anyone noticed, the new Western Digital passport studio portable 2.5", 2tb drives JUST came out.. i did some research, and they are just a regular SATA drive inside. The reason i say this, is because i earlier purchased a regular Western Digital passport(Non studio version) and it had its own kind of board on it.

Anyway, simply placing the hard drive in the primary slot did not work. the bottom tray would not slide on. so..what i did was this:

scaled.php

I used a dremel (i took the laptop apart first of course) and cut the plastic piece in the middle out. with this piece missing, it fits pretty damn well. its still not snug to the point that there is no ventilation though.

The only problem i have now, is that the SATA connection on the motherboard sits just a littttle high..so it puts a bit of pressure on the connection.. i am going to keep my eye on it, but it seems to be fine.

oh, and if anyone was wondering, a 2TB hard drive works perfectly. i did have to do the 4k sector fix on it though.

Matthew~

You could put it at the DVD drive bay so you could modify the caddy instead of cutting the plastic at the bottom of the laptop.
Did you install Lion on that disc? I thought there is limit of 1tb for chameleon to work.

It doesn't fit in the caddy. it is about 1/8 inch too big.

it works perfectly fine on the 2 tb. i partitioned it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back