1. 512K
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Windows Phone
I am new to the Hackintosh scene, but I've been around computers and tech for 35 years.
I decided to build my own Hackintosh based on the great resources and community here. I ordered all my parts of the latest Buyer's guide and assembled it. No issues from the hardware side so I proceeded to installation.

Following the installation guide TO THE LETTER I have had a lot of problems. I've posted in the related forums, but I started to realize after 9 installations (I keep having to restart since things get screwed up.) that Clover is my problem. Or rather, my inability to understand what is going on.

Let me explain:

There is the Clover boot manager that is installed from your Unibeast based install. That appears to be an older version (black screen)

When tying to fix the video issues I was having to get the NVIDIA driver loaded, I followed the guide here at problem six which says to download another installer called Clover. When I use that, bam...new white screen boot manager. Ok, so that version I just downloaded did that overwrite what is on my EFI that Unibeast installed? I don't know

Ok, so now I need to get power / sleep behaving. So I open up the clover configuration app (which now prompts me for an update...do I take it or not? I don't know) to edit the plist file and check the proper box and then when I save it and reboot...now it appeared I screwed up my original clover boot manager so than I have to start all over again. (Side note: When I check the various boxes in that clover config tool..where does it save it? When I open my plist in TextEdit I don't see any related entries)

And then, if I choose update from within the clover configurator - what does that do? Do I want that? Does that update the boot manager? Or is that just configuration clover app? I can see a newer version is available for install...but it's unclear if I should update.

How many darn things need to be called Clover, and which one do I use for the most painless experience?

What are the differences in the versions of Clover? Is there a boot manager and configuration manager? So two versions of each? Are they compatible?

Frustrated and on to install number 10.

Last edited:
There is the Clover boot manager that is installed from your Unibeast based install. That appears to be an older version (black screen)

When tying to fix the video issues I was having to get the NVIDIA driver loaded, I followed the guide here at problem six which says to download another installer called Clover. When I use that, bam...new white screen boot manager. Ok, so that version I just downloaded did that overwrite what is on my EFI that Unibeast installed? I don't know
Nothing to do with the age of the version.
If you mean the colour of the boot loader screen then it is governed by the selected theme.
If you mean the colour of the screen while the system is booting then that is dependent on the system definition.

So I open up the clover configuration app (which now prompts me for an update...do I take it or not? I don't know)
Yes.

to edit the plist file and check the proper box and then when I save it and reboot...now it appeared I screwed up my original clover boot manager so than I have to start all over again. (Side note: When I check the various boxes in that clover config tool..where does it save it? When I open my plist in TextEdit I don't see any related entries)
Bad idea to edit your config.plist with a text editor as it can corrupt the formatting and a corrupt file is the same as none at all.
Use a dedicated app like Xcode, PlistEdit Pro or CloverConfigurator.

And then, if I choose update from within the clover configurator - what does that do?
It depends which update you mean.
From within CloverConfigurator you are able to update CloverConfigurator or Clover.

How many darn things need to be called Clover, and which one do I use for the most painless experience?
The answer is one.
Clover is the boot loader, CloverConfigurator edits the config.plist which is used by the boot loader.

What are the differences in the versions of Clover?
Read the change log.

When it comes to Clover several common issues arise. It's possible to have three Clovers installed...pay attention to which drive you actually are booting from. It may be that Clover was originally installed on the USB drive that you first used in the install process. Then it's possible that you also installed it onto the HDD/SSD internal drive that you really wish to boot from. BUT it's also possible to install it to the root directory AS WELL AS the EFI (hidden) partition of the primary drive.... I can see where confusion can arise.

1) Always know which boot drive is actually booting
2) I suggest using the hidden EFI partition since that will also eliminate any chances of an OS update wrecking your boot process.
3) Clover Configurator actually lists all the config files available to it so choose the one in the /EFI/EFI/clover folder (this is the path to the hidden partition). There are usually three config files in a normal clover install. The other two are for special cases (and in different folders) so you can safely ignore them unless told to do so by someone who is specifically helping with your specific build. Remember, a good Clover install contains 3 separate config files in different folders. It's possible that you may actually have three separate Clover installs X 3 config files... see where I'm going? Pay attention to which drive you are actually booting from and pay attention to which config file is being used by Clover Configurator and you won't get confused.
4) Once your system is running correctly you won't need to boot off of the USB so take it out.
5) You can also safely remove the Clover folder that you are not using. Choose either the one in the EFI hidden partition (recommended) or the one in the Root directory.

Good luck! (But you won't need luck, just TonyMacX86 forums!)

Thanks for the info, I found it quite informative. When I read how to do a hackintosh install, I thought it seemed fairly straight forward. However as I've discovered, it really isn't depending on your hardware configuration (I suspect). I just learned of the Clover Configurator and will try it.

@Bob_the_Tomato You said
"5) You can also safely remove the Clover folder that you are not using. Choose either the one in the EFI hidden partition (recommended) or the one in the Root directory."

Just to be clear, you are saying remove the EFI clover folder? I thought you want to leave the one in as the OS won't overwrite it upon an update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back