Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i6700K
Graphics
eVGA 980 TI SC+ ACX 2.0
Ok so this is the first time I'm doing this (hackintosh) heres what I have for a build so far. The goal is a 4k mac for moderate gaming. I'm not trying to push Ultra on all games or play anything crazy. Maybe Rocketleague, WoW, CS:Go, Starcrafts, warcrafts, diablos, in high/ultra in 4k. I'm having a hard time picking out a graphics card right now that will work. Also the motherboard supports higher DDR than 2400 however not sure what will work? please give input on whats good to get, looking to spend $1700-1800 on the build not including my monitor....... (if possible), what can be changed? I want the i7600k. Also will WiFi and BT work on this MoBo without any crazy configs? is everything pretty much compatible? I know NVMe SSDs need a tweak but it says compatible.....

mgxBV4J.png

Why not go with a mATX motherboard when your case can accommodate one? Then you can install a PCI-e Wifi BT card that will give you the best performance. The SSD drive is NVME and needs a driver which gets broken with updates. An AHCI version is nearly as fast and works natively. No third party driver is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VELDBJ6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLG51U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks for the input! what about RAM then for motherboard?

basically im looking to fit it in that case.. with a i6700k, 32gb ddr4 (good speed?) this site says only 2400 is supported so I chose that one... the wifi and bt on motherboard are generally a no go? need the card? also just realized the mobo shows up on this site as a

Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)

so it is for mATX

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! what about RAM then for motherboard?

basically im looking to fit it in that case.. with a i6700k, 32gb ddr4 (good speed?) this site says only 2400 is supported so I chose that one... the wifi and bt on motherboard are generally a no go? need the card?
I wouldn't pay more for ram clocked higher than 2400. The Crucial Ballistix ram is fine. The Intel Wifi that comes with mini-ITX boards needs to be replaced. Doesn't work with OS X. A wifi BT combo card is your best bet.

Also just realized that SSD 951 isnt available anywhere and is the same price as the 950 pro except faster r/w speeds plus bigger storage, so why not get the NVMe and get the correct thing to make it work?

Also just realized that SSD 951 isnt available anywhere and is the same price as the 950 pro except faster r/w speeds plus bigger storage, so why not get the NVMe and get the correct thing to make it work?
Cause the driver isn't always available, may not always work. If you're using it as a boot drive that's a problem. You can use it, just be aware of the potential issues with one. When you get into the 2.5 to 3.5 Gb/s range of speeds there is no noticeable real world difference in speed. It's only in benchmarks that it makes a difference.

By 4K, do you mean 3840x2160 or 4096x2160 ? Unless you have a very big monitor (I mean above 32 inches) 4K gaming is a ridiculous idea. The more pixels you have the more power you will demand on your GPU and the more $ it will cost you. How much were you planning to spend on GPU+Monitor combo ?

Right now I am running a 27"inch ASUS PB278Q at 2560x1440 over a GTX 970. For the games you are mentioning I smoothly run those at full settings.

If I would indulge myself right now I would instead go for a Ultra-Wide QHD display 3440*1440, something like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back