Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've gotten Lion to install fine, but since it's been installed I haven't been able to get it to work, and have noticed something very strange.

Specs:
Mobo: P8z68-v Pro
CPU: 2600k Core i7
Crucial SSD
4 Gigs of RAM
No PCI cards installed

My computer will hang for several seconds at a time. Sometimes during the lion install the screen becomes unresponsive. A couple of times this has caused the install to never finish (As in I leave for work for the day, and I come back and it still says 6 minutes remaining).

Other times Lion installs fine (It usually does), and as I'm navigatin the Lion OS to search for files, or safari, or multibeast, basically whatever I do, the computer will hang and become unusable for about 15 seconds, and then works fine.

There have been a couple times when I get multibeast running, select whatever options I'm attempting this time for a succesful install, and a few times it hangs during the multibeast install, and I think this may be messing up the install which may be part of why I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Then sometimes when I boot up the computer, I'll select the Lion OS to boot off of, and if it doesn't crash from a kernel panic, it will hang on the apple loading sign.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is there a possible BIOS setting I need to change to prevent it from hanging like this all the time? I have most the BIOS settings set properly, like speedstepping is disabled. I have HPET enabled, and it's in SATA mode.

Please help!

Sounds like you are running out of GPU ram. Try going into your BIOS under the advanced settings and set your iGPU (internal GPU) memory to as high a setting it will allow up to 25% of your installed ram. It probable won't let you set it that high, but go as high as you can.

Going Bald said:
Sounds like you are running out of GPU ram. Try going into your BIOS under the advanced settings and set your iGPU (internal GPU) memory to as high a setting it will allow up to 25% of your installed ram. It probable won't let you set it that high, but go as high as you can.

Damn, I was hopeful this would work. I boosted the available RAM from 64 to 128MB, but it still gave me the same problem. Still won't bot after install as well. The installer did finish, but I don't know if it got corrupted through freezing, or if I just have to try something else.

First thing I would do is enable TRIM if your SSD supports it, I've had something similair like this on a Mac Pro using a non-Apple SSD. TRIM is only turned on for Apple's SSD's by default, you have to apply a patch manually, it's described on this page:

http://gdgt.com/question/in-os-x-lion-how-do-you-enable-trim-support-for-ssds-f16/

Also, rule out any other hardware, run a Memtestx86+ test, rule out the videocard (Nvidia still?) and also rule out the drive, grab another and try that one!

http://www.memtest.org/

I recall this kind of problem back several months when Chimera was going from 1.4.x to 1.5.x. and trying to bring up HD3000. Are you using current Chimera and if you are trying to use HD3000, try installing a known good video card.

neil

BPMb said:
First thing I would do is enable TRIM if your SSD supports it, I've had something similair like this on a Mac Pro using a non-Apple SSD. TRIM is only turned on for Apple's SSD's by default, you have to apply a patch manually, it's described on this page:

http://gdgt.com/question/in-os-x-lion-how-do-you-enable-trim-support-for-ssds-f16/

Also, rule out any other hardware, run a Memtestx86+ test, rule out the videocard (Nvidia still?) and also rule out the drive, grab another and try that one!

http://www.memtest.org/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TRIM is only really useful for after you've had the SSD for a while because without it they start to slow down, but this is supposed to be over the course of about a year through heavy writing usage. I've only been using this SSD for a week to install Lion about 10 times so far. But it's worth a shot, I'll definitely try it.

neilhart said:
I recall this kind of problem back several months when Chimera was going from 1.4.x to 1.5.x. and trying to bring up HD3000. Are you using current Chimera and if you are trying to use HD3000, try installing a known good video card.

neil

Ok, I will start a search for some compatible video cards. I am using the most up to date version of multibeast so I assume it's the most recent version of chimera inside. Actually, I don't think it's even installing chimera, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Unless the unibeast bootloader is chimera.

I would also find it strange that other people with my same system haven't had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back