Graphics
Nvidia 470
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I plan to try to do a work log here, however, I never have time to do anything like this, but I will try because I am so exited about this build.
First and foremost, i had everything I thought, but my newly bought G5 case where damaged in shipping so, now I have to wait another week or so for an replacement.. fingers itching... arghhh

Ok, short uppdate, Just won two auctions for Faulty G5's on Ebay.. Opps :angel:
well at least I will have materials to work with...
Ill post some images of the setup that I have at this moment as soon as I can get everything out on the floor for photography (as soon as my daughter sleeps in other words) but here it is in text.

Gigabyte GA z68X-UD3 gigabyte
Intel I7 - 2600k unlocked
16Gb corsair Ram
Antec Khuler 620 Water cooling
120Gb SSD OZC
Nvidia GTX 470 graphics
Corsair 620w PSU

Fans - arctic cooling
Aluminium profiles
Machine screws m3.5 for attachment to the original standofs.
Lian-li motherboard tray -
Heatshrink
Wire sleaving
Countersunk m3 hex and torx bolts of different versions.
Countersunk aluminium washers - for that apple look.
And some more bits and bobs

Some updated photos, The top mount PSU assembly, and my try fitting of the backplate, decided to go with the Lian-li one just filling in those ugly holes on the side. Might go back and have one laser cut later, but this will do for now.

IMG_1236.JPG

Testing Out the Lian Li backplate.

IMG_1242.JPG

And again and decided those horrible cut out things on the side, what ever they are for, needed to go

IMG_1248.JPG

Here I masked of the area of the cut out in the Original Lian Li backplate, since I decided to go with that untill I can afford to get another one laser cut from Aluminium. I am planning on spray painting this backplate to match as closely as possible to the anodisation on the back of the G5.

IMG_1250.JPG

And here I have filled the area I masked before with good old J b Weld.

IMG_1257.JPG

I then made a bracket to attach the PSU to the top shelf out of Aluminium angle bar.

IMG_1258.JPG

I have since this picture was taken corrected the cut out so it's square - except for the cable holes.

IMG_1282.JPG

test fitting the MB tray after my second drill to fit the original standoffs it happens, I measured wrongly, despite the measure twice rule ;)

IMG_1288.JPG

Here is the motherboard Tray together with the faux floor i made for cable management ant attachment of fans etc.

IMG_1290.JPG

The Radiator/fan assembly before I cut it out in the front for better airflow, the fan fits snuggly inside i would probably not even have to screw it in if it was not for the water cooling Radiator. :)
I have taped two holes in the bottom and it scews into the original PSU holes at the bottom of the case, and attaches to the side to the faux floor with a Jb welded standoff.

IMG_1295.JPG

Radiator attachment before i brushed it.

Test fitting the bracket in the case.

Attachments

• IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 465
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 469
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1295.JPG
    IMG_1295.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 340
Ok so in wait for my new G5 cases won on ebay the other day, I have started to sketh on an alternative backplate, still unsure if I am going to go with this or just use the lian li that I have, the problem with the lian li is that it only sports an 80mm fan and I am not sure that is going to be enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 733
Good luck with the build. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Some pictures, more to come, but my internet is so slow today that I wont risk it. Case arrived yesterday and I have been working on it since then, cannot belive the currier services in this country even this case had been bumped in transit, it is not as noticable on my other one, but still, the guy who sold it to me had packed it brilantlly, Must have been ten meters of "Fragile" tape around it as well. Go figure!

I have today taken the leap and cut the case, measured up the hole and realised after cutting that it is a bit too small in some places, to late to fix that now, guess that is tomorrows job then. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 676
slv335i Thank you so much :)

Yeasterday I started to mark up the front I/O cable for soldering, and today fininshed of the cut out for the back panel, pictures will come.

Two questions.

1. does anyone know if the 8pin connector to the top shelf are the same as a regular ATX one?
2. do one have to remove the entire top shelf to take out the HD cage, sure looks like it, just thought I asked, because I need to get teh Cable management going up there with new sata 6gb cables.

As far as I know from pin layouts I have been working with, to build a ATX supply in the original housing of the G5 one (which is really hard, not to say PITA to do), it's a propietary Apple connector. Basicly had to rewire everything. (assuming we are talking about the same)
I tried that to repair a DP G5, to dicover afterwards, that there was also cpu damage as a result of the liquid cooling system that must have been leaking. (all work for nothing, and spilled a new atx supply on it)
So I still have a case to build around my old Hack... :D

psydafke said:
As far as I know from pin layouts I have been working with, to build a ATX supply in the original housing of the G5 one (which is really hard, not to say PITA to do), it's a propietary Apple connector. Basicly had to rewire everything. (assuming we are talking about the same)
I tried that to repair a DP G5, to dicover afterwards, that there was also cpu damage as a result of the liquid cooling system that must have been leaking. (all work for nothing, and spilled a new atx supply on it)
So I still have a case to build around my old Hack... :D

Ok, I am wondering, I mean all hardrives take the same kind of power, so there must be some good way to utilise the cable it is already up there and I am planing on keeping the layout up there as is?

Then you have a nice soldering job to do... Since those cables were directly soldered on my psu board. Don't know how it goes in your case. Do you have pictures of it?
I understand that you want to keep it as original as possible, and have some premium cable management. So if those cables end up underneath the mobo, then they are well hidden!
Only our ATX hack mobo's aren't as huge as those G5 giants :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back