Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Used latest Iboot/Multibeast versions available, followed the official guide for this Motherboard to the letter.

Did first install, with SL 10.6.3, SL update 10.6.4, SL Graphics update, user dsdt.aml, let Multibeast do its things and re-started. Except Ethernet, everything working, sound, graphics, dual screen, DVI and HDMI. System profile did not show any ethernet.

Went to do a second clean install, cloned previous system to 2nd partition.

Repeated the whole install process, but from 10.6.3, went to install combo update 10.6.5. Was planning to do the SL Graphics update next, but got message that this only works on 10.6.4 system. Crap, I thought, have to re-install everything again from beginning.

Anyway, let multibeast run again, rebooted, and to my surprise, everything was fine (except ethernet, again!!!). As it turns out, combo updater 10.6.5 already includes SL graphics update.

In both systems, did Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext / multibeast, rebooted and system profile this time showed ethernet supported, with correct kext. Unfortunately, the network setup self-assigns IP address that does not allow internet access???. Tried to set configure with DHCP with manual address, still no go. All manual, also no luck.

Not sure what I did wrong. Could it be something related to BIOS settings?

Anyway, going from 10.6.3 straight to 10.6.5 seem to be no problem.

joliv999 said:
In both systems, did Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext / multibeast, rebooted and system profile this time showed ethernet supported, with correct kext. Unfortunately, the network setup self-assigns IP address that does not allow internet access???. Tried to set configure with DHCP with manual address, still no go. All manual, also no luck.
Which version did you use ?
The one requiring the KextBeast ?
Or the one I release today with the Installer Package ?

In principle, these are extremely similar (almost identical), but the Installer Package takes care of conflicting kexts (should you have some)...

Lnx2Mac said:
joliv999 said:
Which version did you use ?
The one requiring the KextBeast ?
Or the one I release today with the Installer Package ?

In principle, these are extremely similar (almost identical), but the Installer Package takes care of conflicting kexts (should you have some)...

Thanks for your input. Did use the older version first, no luck. Tried your new pgk file, same result as before. In System profiler it looks fine, when I try to setup network in system preferences, as before, I get self-assigned IP address. Manual settings also no work.

Not sure what to do now. Could it be something with BIOS settings?

Might try a 3rd clean system install on my 2nd partition, just for fun. If it still does not work, I will install a Dlink ethernet PCI adapter (package says it is compatible with Mac and has driver). If this also does not work, my loss will be only $6, not the end of the world. :D

Did you check the obvious (cabling, hardware, etc.) ?
Do you have another OS on this system to verify your hardware works ?
Try entering SmartLAN in the BIOS...

Figured I'd pump this, as I'm having a similar (but different) problem.

I'm also getting the "Self-Assigned IP Address" message. The only thing that has changed is that I'm trying to connect to a new router (have temporarily moved back home.) No OS upgrade, no change in kexts, nothing- and my setup used to work on another router that I used to share with friends. The router works on all the computers in the house (all windows), but no go on my Hack (10.6.4.) My research has come up empty. "Real" mac users have this problem often, and all point fingers at either the router or the OS (no definite answer.) Figured I'd see if anyone else has had a similar issue and solved it. Thanks.

I have the same issue, checked all my cables, even used 2 different routers and direct connection to router. Doesn't even show the connection light on the router, I've even tried other kexts (mutibeast) Reset bios triple checked everything. Not sure what else to do .. Any ideas? :banghead:

First, make sure you are using a known-to-work port in your router, and good cabling...

Try entering SmartLAN in the BIOS to see if it recognizes the link to the router...

If it did, boot into OSX, and in System Preferences | Network | Ethernet | Advanced | Ethernet, make sure it's on "Auto".
If it is, but still doesn't work, try manually selecting speed, etc.
Some routers have auto-negotiation compatibility issues.

I've fixed it! I flashed my bios from FB to FC and reset my cmos .. All is good! your drivers are spot on :) thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back