CPU
E8450
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, I am just wondering if this motherboard/CPU combo will work okay. I haven't seen this particular board here, or perhaps I have missed it.

Motherboard

GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, CrossFireX

Processor
Core™ i5-2500K Processor, 3.30GHz w/ 6MB Cache

As far as the other stuff, I'll probably grab Corsair ram, 4X4GB.
Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB)

I have a case, OCZ 520W PS and an old Geforce 7800GT I would like to use, unless I go for an ATI 5600 something.

I have a spare Sata2 2TB WD 7200 drive, and may check out a SSD for boot.

Please, any critique or comments welcomed

Re: My Hachintosh Components

wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database
Based on user report on the graphic database, 7800GT works in 10.6.7 with 32bits.

You can give the 7800GT a try on your build, if it does not work, then you can use your other option and buy a compatible card such as 6850 or 6870.

Thank you for the info. I think I'll grab a new video card as well then. Will pretty much any manufacturer card in the 5700 or 5800 or 6800 series be an easy install in Lion?
If I go with an ATI 6800 series, I may need a larger power supply?

I was most concerned about the motherboard model as I hadn't seen it listed here anywhere, or perhaps I missed it.

I might opt for this ram as well:
Patriot
Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit, 9-9-9-24

dsmturbo said:
You have to figure out how many components you are using and determine if the 520W is enough. Given that you have the 520W in hand, you can start using it and I think you should be okay with 1VGA card and couple of HDD drives.

Your selected board using 8-pin EPS power source. Make sure your current power supply has that connector.

ijhu said:
dsmturbo said:
You have to figure out how many components you are using and determine if the 520W is enough. Given that you have the 520W in hand, you can start using it and I think you should be okay with 1VGA card and couple of HDD drives.

Your selected board using 8-pin EPS power source. Make sure your current power supply has that connector.

Oh, oh, I never thought of that. Crap, I don't think my PS has that connector. I'll have to google it.

I still haven't picked a video card. Any ATI should be okay? Gigabyte, XFX, Sapphire?
Series 5500-5700 or 6800?

HIS
Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Gigabyte
Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, Dual DisplayPort

I've ordered Patriot ram and motherboard. I may grab a I7-2600K though.

doesnt really matter if your psu doesnt have an 8pin atx12v connector, itll still work with a 4pin

samisnake said:
doesnt really matter if your psu doesnt have an 8pin atx12v connector, itll still work with a 4pin

Thank you, good to know. If I do upgrade, is this one okay?
OCZ
Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 Power Supply
Features
Conforms to the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards
A dedicated single +12V rail offers simple configuration and maximum compatibility with the latest graphics cards and other components
An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature
Complies with the European Union ErP Directive (2009/125/EC) so the power consumption of the whole system, in either standby or off mode, can be less than 1W when used with a properly configured, ErP-compliant motherboard
80 PLUS® Bronze certified, delivering up to 85% energy efficiency under real-world load conditions
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99
Universal AC input from 90~264V
Over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components
High-quality Japanese capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability
A five year warranty and lifetime access to Corsair's legendary technical support and customer service
Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick
Specifications
Model CMPSU-850TXV2
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
MAX Current 30A 30A 70A 0.8A 3A
MAX Combined Wattage 150W 840W 9.6W 15W
850 @ 50°C ambient temperature
Type
ATX12V / EPS12V
Fan 140mm
PFC
Active
Efficiency up to 85%
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified Bronze

Universal AC Input 90~264V

Protection Over-voltage
over-current
under-voltage
short circuit

Connectors 1 x ATX
1 x EPS
4 x PCI-Express
4 x Pin peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy

EDIT: I ordered above PS and a Gigabyte ATI 6850

I had to order this motherboard as previous was not available:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

If I decide to add an SSD in future, is it possible?
What are the recommended SSD drives? I hear bad stories about the OCZ Agility and Vertex Sata III drives

Just waiting for all my parts to arrive. Then hopefully, I can get some advice and support if I have problems

dsmturbo said:
If I decide to add an SSD in future, is it possible?
What are the recommended SSD drives? I hear bad stories about the OCZ Agility and Vertex Sata III drives

Just waiting for all my parts to arrive. Then hopefully, I can get some advice and support if I have problems

I have all my parts now, except a Sata dvd drive. Is a Sata DVD required or can it be IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back