Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So after running a Hackintosh setup in an old HP case for a couple years now I thought it was time for an upgrade. I spent quite a while looking at some of the other builds on here and I finally decided to do my own G5 case recycle.
I purchased an entire semi-nonfunctional G5 off of ebay as it was only slightly more than just a empty case and would ensure that I'd have everything I could possibly need for this build and then some.
I started off by basically gutting the case and pulling off the standoffs I knew I couldn't use.
IMG_0777.JPG

I then used a combination of several different front button pinout schematics and soldered the standard PC header connectors to the front panel harness.
IMG_0775.jpg

After that I stripped the G5 power supply down and put a standard 600 watt power supply in the factory housing and soldered everything up.
IMG_0778.JPG

More details to follow in a few.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    714.5 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 456
Here are a couple more shots of it all finished.
IMG_0787.JPG
As you can see most of the wires are run under the motherboard tray with the intent of keeping the inside as clean as possible. Specs are an MSI x58m motherboard, i7-970 processor, 12GB of triple channel DDR3 RAM, 2 WD 500GB HDDs.

IMG_0783.jpg

Sorry for the less than desirable quality of the pics. Took them with my iphone.. If anyone would like some more detailed shots I can take them with a real camera. Any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    681.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 456
Would a generic Gigabyte motherboard screw holes fit the G5 screw holes? Also, would a graphics card align and fit well?

The G5 motherboard uses a proprietary layout so there isn't any motherboard (that I know of) that will mount to the factory standoffs. Some people choose to pry off the factory standoffs and glue them in a standard ATX pattern but the issue with that is the G5 PCI slots on the back of the case still do not line up unless you cut into the top shelf so the board will fit up higher. This is why I chose to go with a Mountain Mods motherboard tray and cut it down to a microATX size and mount it the way I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back