i5-4460
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi.

My little iBook G4 is now dead, so I'm thinking about creating a hackintosh for a low price.
But right now, I received a little gift : an old HP Compaq 6710b.
I don't know if it's possible to install a OS X system in place of Windows and which system could work. Could you help me about this subject ?

Here are it's specs :
CPU : Intel Core 2 duo T7300 2GHz
Motherboard : ?????
BIOS Version : HP 68DDU F.08 23/05/2007
Chipset : Mobile Intel GM965 Express
RAM : 2Go DDR2 667MHz

If it's not possible, do you think I could install a Ubuntu (or other Linux) version on the PC for recovering a part of my OS X last save (09/2014).

Hi.

My little iBook G4 is now dead, so I'm thinking about creating a hackintosh for a low price.
But right now, I received a little gift : an old HP Compaq 6710b.
I don't know if it's possible to install a OS X system in place of Windows and which system could work. Could you help me about this subject ?

Here are it's specs :
CPU : Intel Core 2 duo T7300 2GHz
Motherboard : ?????
BIOS Version : HP 68DDU F.08 23/05/2007
Chipset : Mobile Intel GM965 Express
RAM : 2Go DDR2 667MHz

If it's not possible, do you think I could install a Ubuntu (or other Linux) version on the PC for recovering a part of my OS X last save (09/2014).

This looks like a laptop. It would be best to look over the laptop section and read the stickies about how to figure out if your hardware might be able to run OS X.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptops/

This might be an option in the short term:
http://elementary.io/

There is always some good ideas in the forum for budget builds - here is a thread to have a look at for now - it will give you some ideas/things to aim for, even if you may do this further down the road:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/deals-day/156639-complete-system-budget-haswell-bundle-deal-newegg.html

Thanks for your help & links and sorry for the section error (I just speak french) :rolleyes:

This laptop is very slow, I boot on Ubuntu 14 waiting for a better solution (this one was free).
I have possibility to by a PC desktop station with :

• CPU : Core 2 duo 5400
  • motherboard : Gygabyte ga 73pvm
  • RAM : ddr2 800MHz 2Go
  • graphics : asus ati geforce ri7 256Mo DDR3
  • 200 euro

Do you think it's possible to work on OS X (which version) and what would I change for better results ?

Thanks very much

Elementary seems to be a nice way too. But at home, there's ever an OS X station, and I'd like to have a computer 100% compatible. I can see with Ubuntu that it's not systematic between linux and OS X...

Thanks for your help & links and sorry for the section error (I just speak french) :rolleyes:

This laptop is very slow, I boot on Ubuntu 14 waiting for a better solution (this one was free).
I have possibility to by a PC desktop station with :

• CPU : Core 2 duo 5400
  • motherboard : Gygabyte ga 73pvm
  • RAM : ddr2 800MHz 2Go
  • graphics : asus ati geforce ri7 256Mo DDR3
  • 200 euro

Do you think it's possible to work on OS X (which version) and what would I change for better results ?

Thanks very much

This board might work - but you would need to upgrade the RAM and add a compatible GPU. Not worth the money to be honest. This is quite basic and old hardware - if I had this lying around I would probably attempt getting it running, but I would not want to spend another 100+€ updating its basic RAM and graphics for hardware that was already quite old in computer terms.

I would look at this thread - its all new, DDR3 1600MHz RAM, new motherboard, CPU etc and much better value for money. Add a budget case & PSU. Use an Intel i3-4130 or i3-4160 to reduce the cost slightly.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html

If you have further questions then feel free to ask.

Thanks very much for your advice. It's a professional shop who send it, so I think it's possible for him to replace any components and propose me a price for it.
There's already 2 HDD 250Go in the computer.
I can give him references of low-cost motherboards/proc which are compatible.

But I'm very novice and I can't understand the exact difference between (for example) :

• GA-H81M-HD3 ($70)
  • GA-H97-D3H ($100)
  • GA-Z97-D3H ($130)
By cons, the price difference is significant.

The shop say mee that there's a big différence between i3 and i5 CPUs. Is he right ?
How to know exactly what is the meening of these nubers (i3, i5, i7 & 4130, 4160, 4440...) ?

If I correctly understood, if I use a i3,5,7 CPU, I don't need GPU card ?
I could add it if necessary when I would have more money.

What price seems you to be correct for this with GA-H81M-HD3, i5-4460 & 4GoRAM for example ?
Is it viable or are those components incompatibles with each other ?

Thanks very much for your advice. It's a professional shop who send it, so I think it's possible for him to replace any components and propose me a price for it.
There's already 2 HDD 250Go in the computer.
I can give him references of low-cost motherboards/proc which are compatible.

For the purpose of building your first computer that would run OS X then new hardware is going to be easier and more cost effective. The above second hand build would probably have a geekbench score of around 1000. The 'How low can you go' build that I linked to above should be around 5000.

But I'm very novice and I can't understand the exact difference between (for example) :

• GA-H81M-HD3 ($70)
  • GA-H97-D3H ($100)
  • GA-Z97-D3H ($130)
By cons, the price difference is significant.

The 'How low can you go' link actually explains this well.
Z97 has the most Sata ports and 4 RAM slots with a maximum of 32GB RAM. H97 is less expensive - has less USB3/USB2 ports, less Sata ports. H81 is the bargain basic board specification - it works fine but has a reduced specification for USB and Sata ports and a maximum of 2 RAM slots with a maximum capacity of 16GB RAM.

The shop say mee that there's a big différence between i3 and i5 CPUs. Is he right ?
How to know exactly what is the meening of these nubers (i3, i5, i7 & 4130, 4160, 4440...) ?

An i7 is about twice the power of a good i3 processor. Expect to see geekbench scores around 15,000. An i5 is a good 4 core processor that will work well long term. Gamers often use the high end i5 processors as they are good value/performance. Geekbench at around 10,000. Only one Apple iMac does not have at least an i5 processor.
i3 processors are good value for light home users and are capable of doing most things well. A little slow for video work but generally good value.

If I correctly understood, if I use a i3,5,7 CPU, I don't need GPU card ?
I could add it if necessary when I would have more money.

Correct. :thumbup:

What price seems you to be correct for this with GA-H81M-HD3, i5-4460 & 4GoRAM for example ?
Is it viable or are those components incompatibles with each other ?

These components will all work together.

Thanks again :thumbup:

The idea of modifying a second-hand build is to save money on the basics elements.
2 HDD are on place, a case, a power, eventually a fan for the processor.

I'll see with him what price he can propose for one simply config, and if it's higher than $350-400, I'll buid it alone ;)

Thanks again :thumbup:

The idea of modifying a second-hand build is to save money on the basics elements.
2 HDD are on place, a case, a power, eventually a fan for the processor.

Its more expensive to update older tech to work with newer operating systems. A heatsink and fan are supplied with all i3, i5 and i7 processors.

I'll see with him what price he can propose for one simply config, and if it's higher than $350-400, I'll buid it alone ;)

Good luck :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B000OUI8QO/?tag=tonymacx8607-21

Hi !

No news about the guy. So I follow your advice and try to do it myself.

My minimum hack would be (400€):

If I find a little more money (470€):

And I've some questions again... o_O

Is there a noticeable difference between
  • CL9/CL11 RAMs
  • simple & double RAMs (8 & 2x4Go)
  • 1,35 & 1,5V RAMs ?

The seller propose : the update of BIOS. Is it important for me ?

And finally, will my configs fit well inside Heden B9366CA and is there usually all necessary cables in the PC cases or would I need for example SATA câble ?

I precise that I'm not a gamer at all, I want a durable config for desktop/working/house use. So, some secretariat, drawing/painting, music, Ggl Sketchup, calculation, streaming, downloads... If some of my choices are unwise, I hope you'll correct.

Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back