1. Apple
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Right now I'm running a 2012 Cheesegrater with Mojave but it's getting long in th tooth and only has one processor. It's even money to get a 2-processor tray or build a whole new machine, so I'm looking at B. I use it for gaming and streaming/podcasting. I'll be staying on Mojave for the forseeable future because a number of the retro computing apps I use are still 32-bit. I'm also going to need USB-3 for my ElGato capture box. I'd also want to stick Windows 8.1 on it to start b/c I have the disc and install stuff for it.

Ideally I'd like to be able to run modded Minecraft and be able to stream it from one machine. I priced out some parts from the list based on what I think I need, and built around a case I really like (I like pink, it would match my mouse and headset.)

Before I get too much farther I figured I best check with the people who know more than me. It's been years since I shopped for PC parts or did a build, looking forward to trying this again.

I've attached my current build list, looking for initial thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.50.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.50.01 PM.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 59
Right now I'm running a 2012 Cheesegrater with Mojave but it's getting long in th tooth and only has one processor. It's even money to get a 2-processor tray or build a whole new machine, so I'm looking at B. I use it for gaming and streaming/podcasting. I'll be staying on Mojave for the forseeable future because a number of the retro computing apps I use are still 32-bit. I'm also going to need USB-3 for my ElGato capture box. I'd also want to stick Windows 8.1 on it to start b/c I have the disc and install stuff for it.

Ideally I'd like to be able to run modded Minecraft and be able to stream it from one machine. I priced out some parts from the list based on what I think I need, and built around a case I really like (I like pink, it would match my mouse and headset.)

Before I get too much farther I figured I best check with the people who know more than me. It's been years since I shopped for PC parts or did a build, looking forward to trying this again.

I've attached my current build list, looking for initial thoughts?

Thanks!
Your proposed build is based on Intel 10th generation hardware. I would strongly advise against using them since you need to run Mojave. I have not heard of a single instance where someone successfully install Mojave on Intel 10th generation hardware.

You should use a build based on a Z370/Z390 motherboard and Intel 8th/9th generation CPUs if you want to run Mojave, like my first and second builds.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Is there a good list somewhere for the 9th gen stuff - I was going off the recommended parts list on this site.

Parts List Part II - 9th Gen. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.23.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.23.31 AM.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 64
Parts List Part II - 9th Gen. Thoughts?
Not sure about the WiFi as I don't use one. Otherwise the build should be compatible with MacOS Mojave.

Wifi is an option, not super necessary. It's on the list b/c I'm considering it - and it may get added later not be in the initial build. It's been way too long.

I'm mostly interested in if it has the horsepower I am looking for to do what I want it to do - I want this to be mildly future-proof and last so I'd rather build it on the beefy side but not break the bank!

Thanks!

As I have read for the wifi, the most compatible card is the Fenvi card. The rest seems OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back